My Shift as a Security Guard – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

male security guard monitoring cameras and checking access in an office building
Vocabulary: security guard · cameras · visitor badge · alarm system
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: las formas verbales que se comparan con la versión en pasado aparecen destacadas en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I am a security guard. I work in a large office building. At the start of my shift, I put on my uniform and check the security desk. I watch the cameras and look at the doors. Visitors come in and show me their ID. I write their names down and give them a visitor badge. Later, I walk around the building and check that everything is safe.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Soy vigilante de seguridad. Trabajo en un gran edificio de oficinas. Al comenzar mi turno, me pongo el uniforme y reviso el puesto de seguridad. Vigilo las cámaras y observo las puertas. Los visitantes entran y me enseñan su identificación. Apunto sus nombres y les doy una acreditación de visitante. Más tarde recorro el edificio y compruebo que todo esté seguro.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I was a security guard. I worked in a large office building. At the start of my shift, I put on my uniform and checked the security desk. I watched the cameras and looked at the doors. Visitors came in and showed me their ID. I wrote their names down and gave them a visitor badge. Later, I walked around the building and checked that everything was safe.
Main changes
amwasworkworkedput onput oncheckcheckedwatchwatchedlooklookedcome incame inshowshowedwrite downwrote downgivegavewalk aroundwalked aroundiswas
💡 A1 | Grammar pointwrite something down

El phrasal verb write something down significa apuntar o anotar algo: I write their names down.

write + object + down
I write their names down.I write the time down.Write it down, please.
Recuerda: con un pronombre, este va en medio: write it down.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

My Shift as a Security Guard

Vocabulary
  • security guard — vigilante de seguridad
  • office building — edificio de oficinas
  • security desk — puesto de seguridad
  • camera — cámara
  • visitor — visitante
  • ID — identificación
  • visitor badge — acreditación de visitante
  • safe — seguro
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

downnamestheirwriteI
Reading comprehension
  1. What is my job?
  2. What do visitors show me?
  3. What do I write down?
  4. What do I check later in the building?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work in a large office building.
  • I write their names down.
  • I check that everything is safe.

Translate into English:

  • Soy vigilante de seguridad.
  • Vigilo las cámaras.
  • Les doy una acreditación de visitante.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
At the beginning of my shift, I check the security cameras, radios, and alarm system. I also read the notes from the previous guard so I know if anything unusual has happened. When visitors arrive, I ask who they are here to see and give them a temporary badge. During the shift, I walk through the building and make sure emergency exits are clear. If I notice a problem, I report it straight away.
A2 | BÁSICO
Al principio de mi turno, reviso las cámaras de seguridad, las radios y el sistema de alarma. También leo las notas del vigilante anterior para saber si ha ocurrido algo fuera de lo normal. Cuando llegan visitantes, les pregunto a quién vienen a ver y les doy una acreditación temporal. Durante el turno, recorro el edificio y compruebo que las salidas de emergencia estén despejadas. Si observo algún problema, lo comunico inmediatamente.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

At the beginning of my shift, I checked the security cameras, radios, and alarm system. I also read the notes from the previous guard so I knew if anything unusual had happened. When visitors arrived, I asked who they were there to see and gave them a temporary badge. During the shift, I walked through the building and made sure emergency exits were clear. If I noticed a problem, I reported it straight away.
Main changes
checkcheckedreadreadknowknewhas happenedhad happenedarrivearrivedaskaskedare herewere theregivegavewalk throughwalked throughmake suremade surearewerenoticenoticedreportreported
💡 A2 | Grammar pointwho + subject + be here to see

En una pregunta indirecta mantenemos el orden afirmativo: I ask who they are here to see, no who are they here to see? dentro de la frase.

who + subject + be + here to see
I ask who they are here to see.I ask who she is here to meet.I know who they are waiting for.
Fíjate: en preguntas indirectas no invertimos el sujeto y el verbo.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

My Shift as a Security Guard

Vocabulary
  • alarm system — sistema de alarma
  • previous guard — vigilante anterior
  • anything unusual — algo fuera de lo normal
  • temporary badge — acreditación temporal
  • emergency exit — salida de emergencia
  • report — comunicar / informar
  • straight away — inmediatamente
  • walk through — recorrer
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

seetoherearetheywhoaskI
Reading comprehension
  1. What equipment do I check?
  2. Why do I read the previous guard’s notes?
  3. What do I ask visitors?
  4. What do I do if I notice a problem?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I check the alarm system.
  • I give them a temporary badge.
  • I report the problem straight away.

Translate into English:

  • Leo las notas del vigilante anterior.
  • Recorro el edificio.
  • Las salidas de emergencia están despejadas.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
Most of my shift is quiet, but I still have to stay alert. I monitor the cameras, check different areas of the building, and keep an eye out for anything unusual. If an alarm goes off, I first find out where it was triggered and then follow the correct procedure. Sometimes a door has simply been left open, but I never take anything for granted. If something does not look right, I check it out before deciding that there is no problem.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
La mayor parte de mi turno es tranquila, pero aun así tengo que mantenerme alerta. Vigilo las cámaras, reviso distintas zonas del edificio y estoy atento a cualquier cosa fuera de lo normal. Si salta una alarma, primero averiguo dónde se ha activado y después sigo el procedimiento correspondiente. A veces simplemente se ha quedado una puerta abierta, pero nunca doy nada por sentado. Si algo no parece normal, lo compruebo antes de decidir que no hay ningún problema.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Most of my shift was quiet, but I still had to stay alert. I monitored the cameras, checked different areas of the building, and kept an eye out for anything unusual. If an alarm went off, I first found out where it had been triggered and then followed the correct procedure. Sometimes a door had simply been left open, but I never took anything for granted. If something did not look right, I checked it out before deciding that there was no problem.
Main changes
iswashave to stayhad to staymonitormonitoredcheckcheckedkeep an eye out forkept an eye out forgoes offwent offfind outfound outwas triggeredhad been triggeredfollowfollowedhas been lefthad been lefttaketookdoes not lookdid not lookcheck outchecked outiswas
💡 B1 | Grammar pointbefore + -ing

Después de before podemos usar un verbo terminado en -ing: I check it out before deciding....

before + verb-ing
I check it out before deciding.I verify the alarm before calling for backup.I look at the facts before reacting.
Recuerda: before deciding equivale a «antes de decidir».
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

My Shift as a Security Guard

Vocabulary
  • stay alert — mantenerse alerta
  • keep an eye out for — estar atento a
  • go off — activarse / sonar
  • trigger an alarm — activar una alarma
  • take something for granted — dar algo por sentado
  • look right — parecer normal / correcto
  • check something out — comprobar / investigar algo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

Icheckitoutbeforedecidingthatthereisnoproblem
Reading comprehension
  1. Why do I stay alert even during quiet shifts?
  2. What do I do when an alarm goes off?
  3. Why do I not take anything for granted?
  4. What do I do if something does not look right?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I stay alert.
  • The alarm goes off.
  • I never take anything for granted.

Translate into English:

  • Vigilo las cámaras.
  • Sigo el procedimiento correcto.
  • Compruebo lo que parece extraño.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Security work involves noticing small details that other people may overlook. If I see someone trying to enter a restricted area, I approach them calmly and ask to see their authorization. Most situations are simple misunderstandings, but I cannot afford to jump to conclusions either way. I have to assess what is happening, follow protocol, and call for backup if necessary. During a busy event, I also need to keep track of entrances, visitors, and access points without letting anything slip through the cracks.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
El trabajo de seguridad implica fijarse en pequeños detalles que otras personas pueden pasar por alto. Si veo a alguien intentando entrar en una zona restringida, me acerco con calma y le pido que me muestre su autorización. La mayoría de las situaciones son simples malentendidos, pero tampoco puedo permitirme sacar conclusiones precipitadas en ningún sentido. Tengo que evaluar lo que está ocurriendo, seguir el protocolo y pedir apoyo si es necesario. Durante un evento con mucha gente, también necesito controlar las entradas, los visitantes y los puntos de acceso sin permitir que nada se pase por alto.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Security work involved noticing small details that other people might overlook. If I saw someone trying to enter a restricted area, I approached them calmly and asked to see their authorization. Most situations were simple misunderstandings, but I could not afford to jump to conclusions either way. I had to assess what was happening, follow protocol, and call for backup if necessary. During a busy event, I also needed to keep track of entrances, visitors, and access points without letting anything slip through the cracks.
Main changes
involvesinvolvedmay overlookmight overlookseesawapproachapproachedaskaskedarewerecannot affordcould not affordhave to assesshad to assessis happeningwas happeningneed to keep track ofneeded to keep track of
💡 B2 | Grammar pointsee + person + -ing

Usamos see + persona + -ing cuando observamos una acción mientras está ocurriendo: I see someone trying to enter....

see + person + verb-ing
I see someone trying to enter.I see a visitor waiting near the door.I see someone looking at the access panel.
Idea clave: el -ing enfatiza la acción en curso.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

My Shift as a Security Guard

Vocabulary
  • restricted area — zona restringida
  • authorization — autorización
  • overlook — pasar por alto
  • jump to conclusions — sacar conclusiones precipitadas
  • follow protocol — seguir el protocolo
  • call for backup — pedir refuerzos / apoyo
  • access point — punto de acceso
  • slip through the cracks — pasar inadvertido
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

arearestrictedaentertotryingsomeoneseeI
Reading comprehension
  1. Why are small details important in security work?
  2. What do I do if someone enters a restricted area?
  3. Why should I avoid jumping to conclusions?
  4. What do I keep track of during a busy event?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I follow protocol.
  • I call for backup if necessary.
  • I keep track of access points.

Translate into English:

  • Veo a alguien intentando entrar.
  • Pido ver su autorización.
  • No saco conclusiones precipitadas.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Effective security depends as much on judgment as on surveillance equipment. A camera can show me what is happening, but it cannot always tell me whether a situation is genuinely suspicious. I have to read people's behavior, take the context into account, and distinguish between something harmless and something that warrants closer attention. At the same time, I need to avoid making assumptions based on appearances alone. If a concern arises, the best approach is usually to gather the facts before taking action. Remaining observant without becoming overly suspicious is a delicate balance.
C1 | AVANZADO
Una seguridad eficaz depende tanto del criterio como de los equipos de vigilancia. Una cámara puede mostrarme lo que está ocurriendo, pero no siempre puede decirme si una situación es realmente sospechosa. Tengo que interpretar el comportamiento de las personas, tener en cuenta el contexto y distinguir entre algo inofensivo y algo que merece mayor atención. Al mismo tiempo, debo evitar hacer suposiciones basándome únicamente en las apariencias. Si surge alguna preocupación, lo mejor suele ser reunir los hechos antes de actuar. Mantenerse atento sin volverse excesivamente desconfiado exige un equilibrio delicado.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Effective security depended as much on judgment as on surveillance equipment. A camera could show me what was happening, but it could not always tell me whether a situation was genuinely suspicious. I had to read people's behavior, take the context into account, and distinguish between something harmless and something that warranted closer attention. At the same time, I needed to avoid making assumptions based on appearances alone. If a concern arose, the best approach was usually to gather the facts before taking action. Remaining observant without becoming overly suspicious was a delicate balance.
Main changes
dependsdependedcan showcould showis happeningwas happeningcannot always tellcould not always telliswashave to readhad to readwarrantswarrantedneed to avoidneeded to avoidarisesaroseiswasiswas
💡 C1 | Grammar pointwhether + clause

Usamos whether + oración para introducir dos posibilidades: whether a situation is genuinely suspicious.

whether + subject + verb
I check whether a situation is suspicious.I decide whether the concern is serious.I ask whether more action is necessary.
Fíjate: whether equivale a «si» cuando hay dos posibilidades: que lo sea o que no.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

My Shift as a Security Guard

Vocabulary
  • surveillance equipment — equipo de vigilancia
  • suspicious — sospechoso
  • take the context into account — tener en cuenta el contexto
  • harmless — inofensivo
  • warrant closer attention — merecer una atención más detallada
  • make assumptions — hacer suposiciones
  • gather the facts — reunir los hechos
  • delicate balance — equilibrio delicado
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

Acameracanshowmewhatishappeningbutitcannotalwaystellmewhetherasituationisgenuinelysuspicious
Reading comprehension
  1. Why are cameras not enough on their own?
  2. What factors do I consider when assessing behavior?
  3. Why should I avoid assumptions based on appearance?
  4. Why is security a delicate balance?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I take the context into account.
  • I gather the facts.
  • A situation may be harmless.

Translate into English:

  • Evito hacer suposiciones.
  • La cámara no siempre basta.
  • Mantenerse atento exige equilibrio.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
Professional security work requires restraint as much as vigilance. When something appears out of place, my first responsibility is to establish what is actually happening rather than react to the first impression. A minor inconsistency may prove insignificant, while an apparently routine detail can turn out to be the key to a larger problem. Years of experience have taught me to keep my wits about me, particularly when several things demand attention at once. Were a situation to escalate, I would need to act decisively while remaining within established procedures. The challenge is to stay one step ahead without overreacting, because sound security depends on proportional responses rather than suspicion for its own sake.
C2 | COMPETENTE
El trabajo profesional de seguridad exige tanta prudencia como vigilancia. Cuando algo parece fuera de lugar, mi primera responsabilidad es determinar qué está ocurriendo realmente en lugar de reaccionar ante la primera impresión. Una pequeña incoherencia puede resultar insignificante, mientras que un detalle aparentemente rutinario puede acabar siendo la clave de un problema mayor. Los años de experiencia me han enseñado a mantener la cabeza despejada, especialmente cuando varias cosas requieren atención al mismo tiempo. Si una situación llegara a agravarse, tendría que actuar con decisión sin salirme de los procedimientos establecidos. El reto consiste en ir un paso por delante sin reaccionar de forma exagerada, porque una buena seguridad depende de respuestas proporcionadas y no de sospechar por sospechar.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Professional security work required restraint as much as vigilance. When something appeared out of place, my first responsibility was to establish what was actually happening rather than react to the first impression. A minor inconsistency might prove insignificant, while an apparently routine detail could turn out to be the key to a larger problem. Years of experience had taught me to keep my wits about me, particularly when several things demanded attention at once. Had a situation escalated, I would have needed to act decisively while remaining within established procedures. The challenge was to stay one step ahead without overreacting, because sound security depended on proportional responses rather than suspicion for its own sake.
Main changes
requiresrequiredappearsappearediswasiswasmay provemight provecan turn outcould turn outhave taughthad taughtdemanddemandedWere a situation to escalateHad a situation escalatedwould needwould have needediswasdependsdepended
💡 C2 | Grammar pointrather than + base verb

Usamos rather than + verbo base para contrastar dos acciones posibles: to establish what is happening rather than react to the first impression.

verb + rather than + base verb
I establish the facts rather than react immediately.I observe rather than assume.I follow procedure rather than improvise.
Idea clave: rather than presenta una alternativa preferible frente a otra.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

My Shift as a Security Guard

Vocabulary
  • out of place — fuera de lugar
  • first impression — primera impresión
  • inconsistency — incoherencia / anomalía
  • prove insignificant — resultar insignificante
  • keep your wits about you — mantener la cabeza despejada y estar alerta
  • escalate — agravarse
  • act decisively — actuar con decisión
  • stay one step ahead — ir un paso por delante
  • overreact — reaccionar de forma exagerada
  • proportional response — respuesta proporcionada
  • for its own sake — por sí mismo / sin otro propósito
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

myfirstresponsibilityistoestablishwhatisactuallyhappeningratherthanreacttothefirstimpression
Reading comprehension
  1. Why is restraint important in professional security?
  2. Why can first impressions be misleading?
  3. What does keeping your wits about you mean?
  4. Why should responses be proportional?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I keep my wits about me.
  • I stay one step ahead.
  • I avoid overreacting.

Translate into English:

  • No reacciono ante la primera impresión.
  • Actúo con decisión.
  • La seguridad exige respuestas proporcionadas.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.