Working at a Library – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

female librarian helping visitors and organizing books in a library
Vocabulary: librarian · library card · catalog · shelves
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: las formas verbales conjugadas que se comparan con la versión en pasado aparecen destacadas en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I am a librarian. I work in a library. In the morning, I turn on the computers and check the books on the return desk. I scan each book and put it on a cart. Then I take the books back to the correct shelves. A visitor asks me for a book, so I look it up on the computer and show her where to find it. Later, I help another visitor borrow a book with her library card.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Soy bibliotecaria. Trabajo en una biblioteca. Por la mañana, enciendo los ordenadores y reviso los libros que hay en el mostrador de devoluciones. Escaneo cada libro y lo pongo en un carrito. Después llevo los libros de vuelta a las estanterías correspondientes. Una visitante me pide un libro, así que lo busco en el ordenador y le enseño dónde encontrarlo. Más tarde ayudo a otra visitante a llevarse un libro prestado con su carné de biblioteca.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I was a librarian. I worked in a library. In the morning, I turned on the computers and checked the books on the return desk. I scanned each book and put it on a cart. Then I took the books back to the correct shelves. A visitor asked me for a book, so I looked it up on the computer and showed her where to find it. Later, I helped another visitor borrow a book with her library card.
Main changes
amwasworkworkedturn onturned oncheckcheckedscanscannedputputtaketookasksaskedlook uplooked upshowshowedhelphelped
💡 A1 | Grammar pointshow + person + where to + verb

Usamos show + persona + where to + verbo para indicar a alguien dónde hacer o encontrar algo: I show her where to find it.

show + person + where to + base verb
I show her where to find it.I show him where to return the book.She shows me where to sit.
Fíjate: después de where to usamos el verbo en forma base.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

Working at a Library

Vocabulary
  • librarian — bibliotecaria
  • library — biblioteca
  • return desk — mostrador de devoluciones
  • scan — escanear
  • cart — carrito
  • shelf — estantería
  • library card — carné de biblioteca
  • borrow — llevarse prestado
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

itfindtowherehershowI
Reading comprehension
  1. What is my job?
  2. What do I do with returned books?
  3. How do I help a visitor find a book?
  4. What does another visitor use to borrow a book?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work in a library.
  • I scan each book.
  • I show her where to find it.

Translate into English:

  • Soy bibliotecaria.
  • Busco el libro en el ordenador.
  • Utiliza su carné de biblioteca.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
At the start of the day, I check which books have been returned and which ones are waiting to be collected. I scan the returned books, sort them by section, and put them back on the shelves. When someone needs help, I can search the catalog and tell them where a book is located. I also help visitors use the self-checkout machine. Before they leave, I remind them when their books are due back.
A2 | BÁSICO
Al comenzar el día, compruebo qué libros han sido devueltos y cuáles están esperando a que alguien venga a recogerlos. Escaneo los libros devueltos, los clasifico por secciones y los vuelvo a colocar en las estanterías. Cuando alguien necesita ayuda, puedo consultar el catálogo y decirle dónde se encuentra un libro. También ayudo a los usuarios a utilizar la máquina de autopréstamo. Antes de que se vayan, les recuerdo cuándo tienen que devolver los libros.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

At the start of the day, I checked which books had been returned and which ones were waiting to be collected. I scanned the returned books, sorted them by section, and put them back on the shelves. When someone needed help, I could search the catalog and tell them where a book was located. I also helped visitors use the self-checkout machine. Before they left, I reminded them when their books were due back.
Main changes
checkcheckedhave been returnedhad been returnedare waitingwere waitingscanscannedsortsortedput backput backneedsneededcan searchcould searchis locatedwas locatedhelphelpedleaveleftremindremindedare due backwere due back
💡 A2 | Grammar pointwhich + present perfect passive

La estructura which + present perfect passive permite identificar qué elementos han recibido una acción: which books have been returned.

which + noun + have/has been + past participle
I check which books have been returned.I see which titles have been reserved.I check which items have been collected.
Idea clave: el foco está en el resultado actual de una acción pasada.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

Working at a Library

Vocabulary
  • returned book — libro devuelto
  • collect — recoger
  • sort — clasificar
  • section — sección
  • catalog — catálogo
  • self-checkout machine — máquina de autopréstamo
  • due back — con fecha de devolución
  • put something back — volver a colocar algo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

returnedbeenhavebookswhichcheckI
Reading comprehension
  1. What do I check at the start of the day?
  2. How do I organize returned books?
  3. How can I tell someone where a book is?
  4. What do I remind visitors before they leave?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I sort the books by section.
  • I search the catalog.
  • The books are due back.

Translate into English:

  • Los libros han sido devueltos.
  • Ayudo a los usuarios.
  • Les recuerdo cuándo devolver los libros.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
Working in a library involves much more than putting books on shelves. People come in looking for all kinds of information, and sometimes they are not sure where to start. I ask a few questions to narrow down what they need and then point them in the right direction. If a book is already checked out, I can place a hold on it or suggest another title. I also keep an eye on overdue books and contact users when necessary. Helping someone track down exactly what they need is one of the most satisfying parts of my job.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Trabajar en una biblioteca implica mucho más que colocar libros en las estanterías. La gente viene buscando todo tipo de información y, a veces, no sabe por dónde empezar. Hago algunas preguntas para concretar lo que necesita y después la oriento en la dirección adecuada. Si un libro ya está prestado, puedo reservarlo o sugerir otro título. También controlo los libros cuya fecha de devolución ha pasado y contacto con los usuarios cuando es necesario. Ayudar a alguien a localizar exactamente lo que necesita es una de las partes más gratificantes de mi trabajo.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Working in a library involved much more than putting books on shelves. People came in looking for all kinds of information, and sometimes they were not sure where to start. I asked a few questions to narrow down what they needed and then pointed them in the right direction. If a book was already checked out, I could place a hold on it or suggest another title. I also kept an eye on overdue books and contacted users when necessary. Helping someone track down exactly what they needed was one of the most satisfying parts of my job.
Main changes
involvesinvolvedcome incame inare notwere notaskaskedneedneededpointpointediswascan placecould placekeep an eye onkept an eye oncontactcontactediswas
💡 B1 | Grammar pointone of the + superlative + plural noun

Usamos one of the + superlativo + sustantivo plural para señalar un elemento dentro de un grupo destacado.

one of the + superlative + plural noun
It is one of the most satisfying parts of my job.This is one of the busiest sections.That is one of the most useful resources.
Recuerda: después del superlativo usamos un sustantivo en plural: parts, sections, resources.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

Working at a Library

Vocabulary
  • narrow down — concretar / reducir opciones
  • point someone in the right direction — orientar a alguien
  • checked out — prestado
  • place a hold on a book — reservar un libro
  • overdue — fuera de plazo
  • keep an eye on — controlar
  • track down — localizar tras buscar
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

jobmyofpartssatisfyingmosttheofoneisIt
Reading comprehension
  1. Why do I ask visitors questions?
  2. What can I do if a book is checked out?
  3. Why do I keep an eye on overdue books?
  4. What is one satisfying part of the job?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I narrow down what they need.
  • I place a hold on the book.
  • I keep an eye on overdue books.

Translate into English:

  • Oriento a la persona.
  • El libro está prestado.
  • Localizo lo que necesita.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
A modern library has to serve people with very different needs. Some visitors want a quiet place to study, while others need help using databases, printing documents, or finding reliable sources. When someone is doing research, I try to help them tell trustworthy information apart from material that may be outdated or inaccurate. At busy times, I may have several requests to deal with at once, so I need to keep track of what each person is waiting for. The challenge is to be helpful without simply doing the work for them.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Una biblioteca moderna tiene que atender a personas con necesidades muy distintas. Algunos usuarios quieren un lugar tranquilo donde estudiar, mientras que otros necesitan ayuda para utilizar bases de datos, imprimir documentos o encontrar fuentes fiables. Cuando alguien está investigando, intento ayudarle a distinguir la información fiable de aquella que puede estar desactualizada o ser inexacta. En los momentos de mayor actividad, puedo tener que atender varias peticiones a la vez, así que necesito llevar el control de lo que espera cada persona. El reto consiste en ayudar sin hacerles simplemente el trabajo.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

A modern library had to serve people with very different needs. Some visitors wanted a quiet place to study, while others needed help using databases, printing documents, or finding reliable sources. When someone was doing research, I tried to help them tell trustworthy information apart from material that might be outdated or inaccurate. At busy times, I might have several requests to deal with at once, so I needed to keep track of what each person was waiting for. The challenge was to be helpful without simply doing the work for them.
Main changes
has to servehad to servewantwantedneedneededis doingwas doingtrytriedmay bemight bemay havemight haveneed to keep trackneeded to keep trackis waitingwas waitingiswas
💡 B2 | Grammar pointtell A apart from B

La estructura fija tell A apart from B significa distinguir una cosa de otra.

tell A apart from B
I tell trustworthy information apart from inaccurate material.Students learn to tell fact apart from opinion.We tell current sources apart from outdated ones.
Fíjate: apart from forma parte de la estructura y no se traduce palabra por palabra.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

Working at a Library

Vocabulary
  • database — base de datos
  • reliable source — fuente fiable
  • trustworthy — fiable
  • tell A apart from B — distinguir A de B
  • outdated — desactualizado
  • inaccurate — inexacto
  • deal with — ocuparse de / gestionar
  • keep track of — llevar el control de
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

materialinaccuratefromapartinformationtrustworthytellthemhelpI
Reading comprehension
  1. What different needs can visitors have?
  2. What do I help researchers evaluate?
  3. Why do I keep track of requests?
  4. What is the challenge when helping someone?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I find reliable sources.
  • I keep track of several requests.
  • I do not do the work for them.

Translate into English:

  • Utilizo bases de datos.
  • La información puede estar desactualizada.
  • Intento ayudar sin hacerles el trabajo.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
One of the less visible parts of library work is maintaining a collection that remains useful over time. New books and resources are added regularly, but shelf space is limited, so older material has to be reviewed as well. I take into account how often an item is used, whether its information is still current, and whether another edition has superseded it. Removing material is not simply a matter of making room; it requires judgment. If outdated information is allowed to linger, it can undermine the quality of the collection as a whole.
C1 | AVANZADO
Una de las partes menos visibles del trabajo en una biblioteca es mantener una colección que siga siendo útil con el paso del tiempo. Se añaden regularmente nuevos libros y recursos, pero el espacio en las estanterías es limitado, por lo que también hay que revisar el material antiguo. Tengo en cuenta con qué frecuencia se utiliza un ejemplar, si su información sigue estando actualizada y si ha sido sustituido por una edición posterior. Retirar material no consiste simplemente en hacer sitio; exige criterio. Si se permite que permanezca información desactualizada, puede perjudicar la calidad de la colección en su conjunto.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

One of the less visible parts of library work was maintaining a collection that remained useful over time. New books and resources were added regularly, but shelf space was limited, so older material had to be reviewed as well. I took into account how often an item was used, whether its information was still current, and whether another edition had superseded it. Removing material was not simply a matter of making room; it required judgment. If outdated information was allowed to linger, it could undermine the quality of the collection as a whole.
Main changes
iswasremainsremainedare addedwere addedis limitedwas limitedhas to be reviewedhad to be reviewedtake into accounttook into accountis usedwas usediswashas supersededhad supersedediswasrequiresrequiredis allowedwas allowedcan underminecould undermine
💡 C1 | Grammar pointwhether... and whether...

La repetición de whether permite presentar varios criterios indirectos con claridad: whether its information is still current and whether another edition has superseded it.

whether + clause + and whether + clause
I check whether the information is current and whether a newer edition exists.We consider whether an item is used and whether it is still relevant.I ask whether the source is reliable and whether it is recent.
Idea clave: repetir whether hace más clara una lista de posibilidades o criterios.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

Working at a Library

Vocabulary
  • maintain a collection — mantener una colección
  • take into account — tener en cuenta
  • current information — información actualizada
  • supersede — sustituir por algo más reciente
  • make room — hacer sitio
  • linger — permanecer más tiempo del conveniente
  • undermine — perjudicar / debilitar
  • as a whole — en su conjunto
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

existseditionnewerawhetherandcurrentisinformationthewhetherconsiderI
Reading comprehension
  1. Why must a library review older material?
  2. Which factors do I take into account?
  3. Why does removing material require judgment?
  4. How can outdated information affect the collection?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Shelf space is limited.
  • I take several factors into account.
  • Outdated information can undermine quality.

Translate into English:

  • Reviso el material antiguo.
  • Tengo en cuenta si la información está actualizada.
  • Una edición posterior puede sustituir a otra.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
Librarianship increasingly involves navigating an environment in which access to information is abundant but reliability is uneven. Finding a source is rarely the difficult part anymore; evaluating its provenance, authority, relevance, and limitations is far more demanding. When assisting with research, I try to steer users away from taking search results at face value and encourage them to follow the evidence back to its original source. Having seen how easily weak information can be repeated until it appears credible, I am particularly wary of claims that circulate without clear attribution. The role of a library is not merely to provide access to information, but to equip people to make sense of it critically and independently.
C2 | COMPETENTE
La labor bibliotecaria implica cada vez más desenvolverse en un entorno en el que el acceso a la información es abundante, pero su fiabilidad resulta desigual. Encontrar una fuente rara vez es ya la parte difícil; evaluar su procedencia, autoridad, relevancia y limitaciones resulta mucho más exigente. Cuando ayudo en una investigación, intento evitar que los usuarios acepten los resultados de búsqueda simplemente por lo que parecen y les animo a seguir las pruebas hasta llegar a la fuente original. Después de comprobar lo fácilmente que una información poco fiable puede repetirse hasta llegar a parecer creíble, soy especialmente cautelosa con las afirmaciones que circulan sin una atribución clara. La función de una biblioteca no consiste únicamente en proporcionar acceso a la información, sino en dar a las personas herramientas para interpretarla de forma crítica e independiente.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Librarianship increasingly involved navigating an environment in which access to information was abundant but reliability was uneven. Finding a source was rarely the difficult part anymore; evaluating its provenance, authority, relevance, and limitations was far more demanding. When assisting with research, I tried to steer users away from taking search results at face value and encouraged them to follow the evidence back to its original source. Having seen how easily weak information could be repeated until it appeared credible, I was particularly wary of claims that circulated without clear attribution. The role of a library was not merely to provide access to information, but to equip people to make sense of it critically and independently.
Main changes
involvesinvolvediswasiswasiswastrytriedencourageencouragedcan be repeatedcould be repeatedappearsappearedamwascirculatecirculatediswas
💡 C2 | Grammar pointuntil + gradual result

En C2, until puede describir un proceso que continúa hasta producir un resultado: weak information can be repeated until it appears credible.

process + until + result clause
Weak information can be repeated until it appears credible.A claim may circulate until people accept it.Evidence can be traced until the original source is found.
Fíjate: aquí until no expresa solo una hora límite; marca el punto en que un proceso produce un resultado.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

Working at a Library

Vocabulary
  • provenance — procedencia / origen documentado
  • authority — autoridad o solvencia de una fuente
  • steer someone away from — disuadir u orientar para evitar algo
  • take something at face value — aceptar algo sin cuestionarlo
  • trace something back to its source — seguir algo hasta su fuente original
  • be wary of — mostrarse cauteloso ante
  • attribution — atribución
  • make sense of — comprender / interpretar
  • equip someone to do something — proporcionar medios para hacer algo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

credibleappearsituntilrepeatedbecaninformationWeak
Reading comprehension
  1. Why is evaluating information more demanding than finding it?
  2. What do I encourage users to do with evidence?
  3. Why can repeated weak information be misleading?
  4. What does the library equip people to do?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I evaluate the provenance of a source.
  • I do not take results at face value.
  • I am wary of unclear claims.

Translate into English:

  • Sigo las pruebas hasta la fuente original.
  • La fiabilidad puede ser desigual.
  • Interpreto la información de forma crítica.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.