Working at a Coffee Shop – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

barista preparing espresso and serving a customer in a busy coffee shop
Vocabulary: barista · espresso machine · coffee grinder · latte
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: las formas verbales que se comparan con la versión en pasado aparecen destacadas en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I am a barista. I work in a busy coffee shop. In the morning, I turn on the espresso machine and prepare the cups. A customer comes to the counter and orders a latte. I grind the coffee beans, make the espresso, and heat the milk. Then I pour the milk into the cup and give the drink to the customer. Before the next order, I clean the counter.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Soy barista. Trabajo en una cafetería con mucho movimiento. Por la mañana, enciendo la máquina de espresso y preparo las tazas. Una clienta se acerca al mostrador y pide un latte. Muelo los granos de café, preparo el espresso y caliento la leche. Después vierto la leche en la taza y le doy la bebida a la clienta. Antes del siguiente pedido, limpio el mostrador.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I was a barista. I worked in a busy coffee shop. In the morning, I turned on the espresso machine and prepared the cups. A customer came to the counter and ordered a latte. I ground the coffee beans, made the espresso, and heated the milk. Then I poured the milk into the cup and gave the drink to the customer. Before the next order, I cleaned the counter.
Main changes
amwasworkworkedturn onturned onpreparepreparedcomescameordersorderedgrindgroundmakemadeheatheatedpourpouredgivegavecleancleaned
💡 A1 | Grammar pointgive + person + thing

En el texto aparece I give the drink to the customer. Esta estructura expresa que damos una cosa a una persona.

give + thing + to + person
I give the customer the drink.I give her a latte.I give the customer a receipt.
Recuerda: también podemos decir I give the drink to the customer.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

Working at a Coffee Shop

Vocabulary
  • barista — barista
  • coffee shop — cafetería
  • espresso machine — máquina de espresso
  • counter — mostrador
  • latte — latte
  • coffee beans — granos de café
  • grind — moler
  • espresso — espresso
  • milk — leche
  • cup — taza
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

Igivethedrinktothecustomer
Reading comprehension
  1. What is my job?
  2. What drink does the customer order?
  3. What do I do with the coffee beans?
  4. What do I clean before the next order?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work in a busy coffee shop.
  • I grind the coffee beans.
  • I clean the counter.

Translate into English:

  • Soy barista.
  • Preparo el espresso.
  • Le doy la bebida a la clienta.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
At the start of my shift, I fill the coffee grinder with beans and check that the espresso machine is ready. When customers order, I ask what size they would like and whether they want their drink hot or iced. I make espresso, steam milk, and prepare different kinds of coffee. I also serve pastries and take payments. When there are no customers waiting, I wipe down the counter and restock the cups and lids.
A2 | BÁSICO
Al comenzar mi turno, lleno el molinillo de granos de café y compruebo que la máquina de espresso esté preparada. Cuando los clientes hacen su pedido, les pregunto qué tamaño quieren y si prefieren la bebida caliente o con hielo. Preparo espresso, caliento la leche con vapor y hago distintos tipos de café. También sirvo productos de bollería y cobro a los clientes. Cuando no hay nadie esperando, limpio el mostrador y repongo las tazas y las tapas.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

At the start of my shift, I filled the coffee grinder with beans and checked that the espresso machine was ready. When customers ordered, I asked what size they would like and whether they wanted their drink hot or iced. I made espresso, steamed milk, and prepared different kinds of coffee. I also served pastries and took payments. When there were no customers waiting, I wiped down the counter and restocked the cups and lids.
Main changes
fillfilledcheckcheckediswasorderorderedaskaskedwantwantedmakemadesteamsteamedpreparepreparedserveservedtaketookarewerewipe downwiped downrestockrestocked
💡 A2 | Grammar pointwhether... or...

Usamos whether... or... para presentar dos alternativas: whether they want their drink hot or iced.

whether + option A + or + option B
I ask whether they want it hot or iced.I ask whether they want milk or cream.I check whether the order is for here or to go.
Idea clave: whether... or... presenta dos posibilidades de forma explícita.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

Working at a Coffee Shop

Vocabulary
  • coffee grinder — molinillo de café
  • steam milk — calentar / espumar leche con vapor
  • iced — con hielo
  • pastry — producto de bollería
  • take payments — cobrar
  • wipe down — limpiar una superficie
  • restock — reponer
  • lid — tapa
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

icedorhotdrinktheirwanttheywhetheraskI
Reading comprehension
  1. What do I check at the start of the shift?
  2. What choices do I ask customers about?
  3. What else do I serve besides coffee?
  4. What do I do when there are no customers waiting?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I steam milk.
  • I take payments.
  • I restock the cups.

Translate into English:

  • Lleno el molinillo de café.
  • Pregunto qué tamaño quieren.
  • Limpio el mostrador.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
The morning rush is the busiest part of my shift. Orders come in one after another, and I have to remember which drinks belong to which customers. I read the order on each cup, make the espresso, and add the correct milk or syrup. If we run out of something, I restock it as quickly as possible so I do not fall behind. Sometimes a customer changes an order at the last minute, so I have to adjust without losing track of everything else. Good teamwork helps us keep up with the queue.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
La hora punta de la mañana es la parte más ajetreada de mi turno. Los pedidos llegan uno detrás de otro y tengo que recordar qué bebida corresponde a cada cliente. Leo el pedido de cada vaso, preparo el espresso y añado la leche o el sirope correctos. Si se nos acaba algo, lo repongo lo antes posible para no quedarme atrás. A veces un cliente cambia el pedido en el último momento, así que tengo que adaptarme sin perder el control de todo lo demás. Un buen trabajo en equipo nos ayuda a seguir el ritmo de la cola.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

The morning rush was the busiest part of my shift. Orders came in one after another, and I had to remember which drinks belonged to which customers. I read the order on each cup, made the espresso, and added the correct milk or syrup. If we ran out of something, I restocked it as quickly as possible so I did not fall behind. Sometimes a customer changed an order at the last minute, so I had to adjust without losing track of everything else. Good teamwork helped us keep up with the queue.
Main changes
iswascome incame inhave to rememberhad to rememberbelongbelongedreadreadmakemadeaddaddedrun out ofran out ofrestockrestockeddo not fall behinddid not fall behindchangeschangedhave to adjusthad to adjusthelpshelped
💡 B1 | Grammar pointwhich + noun + belong to which + person

La estructura which drinks belong to which customers sirve para establecer correspondencias entre varios elementos.

which + noun + belong to which + noun/person
I remember which drinks belong to which customers.I check which cup belongs to which order.We know which orders belong to which table.
Fíjate: la repetición de which permite relacionar dos grupos de elementos.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

Working at a Coffee Shop

Vocabulary
  • morning rush — hora punta de la mañana
  • one after another — uno detrás de otro
  • run out of — quedarse sin
  • restock — reponer
  • fall behind — quedarse atrás
  • at the last minute — en el último momento
  • lose track of — perder el control de
  • keep up with — seguir el ritmo de
  • queue — cola
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

Ihavetorememberwhichdrinksbelongtowhichcustomers
Reading comprehension
  1. Why is the morning rush difficult?
  2. What do I do if we run out of something?
  3. Why must I avoid losing track of orders?
  4. How does teamwork help?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Orders come in one after another.
  • We run out of something.
  • I keep up with the queue.

Translate into English:

  • No quiero quedarme atrás.
  • Repongo lo que falta.
  • Un cliente cambia el pedido.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Making coffee consistently becomes difficult when the shop is packed and several drinks have to be prepared at once. I need to keep an eye on extraction time, milk temperature, and the order queue while also listening for new requests. If an espresso pours too quickly or too slowly, I may have to adjust the grind before making the next one. During the busiest periods, it is easy to get flustered, but rushing usually leads to more mistakes. I try to work efficiently without cutting corners, even when customers are waiting.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Preparar el café de forma constante se vuelve difícil cuando la cafetería está llena y hay que hacer varias bebidas al mismo tiempo. Tengo que controlar el tiempo de extracción, la temperatura de la leche y la cola de pedidos, a la vez que estoy pendiente de nuevas peticiones. Si un espresso sale demasiado rápido o demasiado despacio, puede que tenga que ajustar el molido antes de preparar el siguiente. En los momentos de mayor actividad es fácil ponerse nervioso, pero apresurarse suele provocar más errores. Intento trabajar de manera eficiente sin saltarme pasos, incluso cuando los clientes están esperando.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Making coffee consistently became difficult when the shop was packed and several drinks had to be prepared at once. I needed to keep an eye on extraction time, milk temperature, and the order queue while also listening for new requests. If an espresso poured too quickly or too slowly, I might have to adjust the grind before making the next one. During the busiest periods, it was easy to get flustered, but rushing usually led to more mistakes. I tried to work efficiently without cutting corners, even when customers were waiting.
Main changes
becomesbecameis packedwas packedhave to be preparedhad to be preparedneed to keep an eye onneeded to keep an eye onpourspouredmay have to adjustmight have to adjustiswasleadsledtrytriedare waitingwere waiting
💡 B2 | Grammar pointwhile + -ing / while + clause

Usamos while para expresar acciones simultáneas, tanto con -ing como con una oración completa.

while + verb-ing / while + subject + verb
I monitor the coffee while listening for requests.I work while customers are waiting.I adjust the grinder while checking the next order.
Idea clave: while conecta acciones que ocurren al mismo tiempo.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

Working at a Coffee Shop

Vocabulary
  • consistently — de manera constante
  • be packed — estar lleno
  • extraction time — tiempo de extracción
  • adjust the grind — ajustar el grado de molienda
  • get flustered — ponerse nervioso / perder la calma
  • lead to — provocar
  • cut corners — saltarse pasos para ahorrar tiempo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

Ineedtokeepaneyeonextractiontimemilktemperatureandtheorderqueuewhilealsolisteningfornewrequests
Reading comprehension
  1. Why is consistency harder when the shop is busy?
  2. What variables do I monitor?
  3. Why might I adjust the grind?
  4. Why can rushing be counterproductive?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • The shop is packed.
  • I adjust the grind.
  • Rushing leads to mistakes.

Translate into English:

  • Controlo el tiempo de extracción.
  • No quiero saltarme pasos.
  • Los clientes están esperando.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Good espresso depends on small adjustments that many customers never notice. The freshness of the beans, the grind size, the dose, and the extraction time all affect the final cup. At the beginning of a shift, I may have to dial in the grinder several times until the espresso tastes balanced. Changes in temperature or humidity can also influence the result, so the settings that worked yesterday may need fine-tuning today. The more carefully I control these variables, the more consistent the coffee becomes. Precision matters, but so does knowing when to trust my senses.
C1 | AVANZADO
Un buen espresso depende de pequeños ajustes que muchos clientes nunca llegan a notar. La frescura de los granos, el grado de molienda, la dosis y el tiempo de extracción influyen en el resultado final. Al comenzar un turno, puede que tenga que ajustar el molinillo varias veces hasta que el espresso tenga un sabor equilibrado. Los cambios de temperatura o humedad también pueden influir en el resultado, por lo que los ajustes que funcionaron ayer pueden necesitar pequeños retoques hoy. Cuanto más cuidadosamente controlo estas variables, más uniforme resulta el café. La precisión es importante, pero también lo es saber cuándo confiar en mis sentidos.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Good espresso depended on small adjustments that many customers never noticed. The freshness of the beans, the grind size, the dose, and the extraction time all affected the final cup. At the beginning of a shift, I might have to dial in the grinder several times until the espresso tasted balanced. Changes in temperature or humidity could also influence the result, so the settings that had worked the day before might need fine-tuning that day. The more carefully I controlled these variables, the more consistent the coffee became. Precision mattered, but so did knowing when to trust my senses.
Main changes
dependsdependednoticenoticedaffectaffectedmay have to dial inmight have to dial intastestastedcan also influencecould also influenceworkedhad workedmay needmight needcontrolcontrolledbecomesbecamemattersmattereddoesdid
💡 C1 | Grammar pointthe + comparative..., the + comparative...

La estructura the + comparative..., the + comparative... expresa que un cambio está relacionado progresivamente con otro.

the + comparative..., the + comparative...
The more carefully I control the variables, the more consistent the coffee becomes.The finer the grind, the slower the extraction.The busier the shop, the more important teamwork becomes.
Idea clave: ambas partes expresan cambios relacionados.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

Working at a Coffee Shop

Vocabulary
  • grind size — grado de molienda
  • dose — dosis / cantidad de café
  • dial in the grinder — ajustar el molinillo hasta conseguir la extracción adecuada
  • balanced — equilibrado
  • humidity — humedad
  • fine-tuning — ajuste fino
  • variable — variable
  • trust my senses — confiar en mis sentidos
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

becomescoffeetheconsistentmorethevariablesthesecontrolIcarefullymoreThe
Reading comprehension
  1. Which variables affect espresso quality?
  2. Why might grinder settings need adjustment?
  3. How can temperature and humidity matter?
  4. What does the comparative structure express?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I dial in the grinder.
  • Humidity affects the result.
  • I trust my senses.

Translate into English:

  • Controlo estas variables.
  • El café resulta más uniforme.
  • La precisión es importante.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
At a professional level, making coffee is not so much about following a fixed recipe as about understanding how a set of variables interact. Beans change as they age, environmental conditions fluctuate, and even the same grinder may behave slightly differently over the course of a day. I therefore treat each recipe as a starting point rather than something set in stone. If the espresso tastes hollow, overly bitter, or unbalanced, I work backwards through the process to identify what needs adjusting. The challenge is to fine-tune the extraction without losing sight of the wider workflow, particularly when a queue is building up. Ultimately, expertise lies in making dozens of small decisions quickly enough that the customer experiences only a simple, well-made cup of coffee.
C2 | COMPETENTE
A nivel profesional, preparar café no consiste tanto en seguir una receta fija como en comprender cómo interactúa un conjunto de variables. Los granos cambian a medida que envejecen, las condiciones ambientales fluctúan e incluso el mismo molinillo puede comportarse de forma ligeramente distinta a lo largo del día. Por eso considero cada receta un punto de partida y no algo inamovible. Si el espresso tiene un sabor apagado, demasiado amargo o desequilibrado, repaso el proceso en sentido inverso para identificar qué necesita ajustarse. El reto consiste en afinar la extracción sin perder de vista el flujo general de trabajo, especialmente cuando empieza a formarse una cola. En última instancia, la pericia profesional consiste en tomar decenas de pequeñas decisiones con suficiente rapidez para que el cliente únicamente perciba una sencilla taza de café bien preparada.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

At a professional level, making coffee was not so much about following a fixed recipe as about understanding how a set of variables interacted. Beans changed as they aged, environmental conditions fluctuated, and even the same grinder might behave slightly differently over the course of a day. I therefore treated each recipe as a starting point rather than something set in stone. If the espresso tasted hollow, overly bitter, or unbalanced, I worked backwards through the process to identify what needed adjusting. The challenge was to fine-tune the extraction without losing sight of the wider workflow, particularly when a queue was building up. Ultimately, expertise lay in making dozens of small decisions quickly enough that the customer experienced only a simple, well-made cup of coffee.
Main changes
iswasinteractinteractedchangechangedageagedfluctuatefluctuatedmay behavemight behavetreattreatedtastestastedwork backwardsworked backwardsneeds adjustingneeded adjustingiswasis building upwas building uplieslayexperiencesexperienced
💡 C2 | Grammar pointnot so much A as B

La estructura not so much A as B reformula o matiza una idea: A no se niega por completo, pero B describe mejor la realidad.

not so much A as B
Making coffee is not so much about following a recipe as understanding variables.The job is not so much about speed as consistency.Expertise is not so much about rules as judgment.
Idea clave: B se presenta como una descripción más precisa o importante que A.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

Working at a Coffee Shop

Vocabulary
  • not so much... as... — no tanto... como...
  • fluctuate — fluctuar
  • over the course of — a lo largo de
  • starting point — punto de partida
  • set in stone — inamovible / establecido definitivamente
  • work backwards — analizar desde el resultado hacia atrás
  • fine-tune — ajustar con precisión
  • lose sight of — perder de vista
  • build up — ir acumulándose / formándose
  • workflow — flujo de trabajo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

makingcoffeeisnotsomuchaboutfollowingafixedrecipeasaboutunderstandinghowasetofvariablesinteract
Reading comprehension
  1. Why is a fixed recipe not always enough?
  2. What kinds of variables can change?
  3. What does working backwards mean here?
  4. What does expertise look like in practice?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I treat the recipe as a starting point.
  • I work backwards through the process.
  • I do not lose sight of the workflow.

Translate into English:

  • Las condiciones fluctúan.
  • La receta no es inamovible.
  • La pericia profesional exige muchas decisiones pequeñas.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.