My Day as a Flight Attendant – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

male flight attendant welcoming passengers and preparing an airplane cabin
Vocabulary: flight attendant · cabin crew · overhead bin · seat belt
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: las formas verbales conjugadas que se comparan con la versión en pasado aparecen destacadas en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I am a flight attendant. I work on an airplane. Before the passengers arrive, I check the seats and the overhead bins. Then I stand near the door and welcome people on board. I help passengers find their seats and put their bags away. Before takeoff, I show them how to fasten their seat belts. During the flight, I serve drinks and answer questions.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Soy auxiliar de vuelo. Trabajo en un avión. Antes de que lleguen los pasajeros, reviso los asientos y los compartimentos superiores. Después me coloco cerca de la puerta y doy la bienvenida a los pasajeros. Les ayudo a encontrar sus asientos y a guardar sus bolsos. Antes del despegue, les enseño cómo abrocharse el cinturón de seguridad. Durante el vuelo, sirvo bebidas y respondo preguntas.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I was a flight attendant. I worked on an airplane. Before the passengers arrived, I checked the seats and the overhead bins. Then I stood near the door and welcomed people on board. I helped passengers find their seats and put their bags away. Before takeoff, I showed them how to fasten their seat belts. During the flight, I served drinks and answered questions.
Main changes
amwasworkworkedarrivearrivedcheckcheckedstandstoodwelcomewelcomedhelphelpedshowshowedserveservedansweranswered
💡 A1 | Grammar pointhow to + verb

Usamos how to + verbo para expresar cómo hacer algo. En el texto aparece I show them how to fasten their seat belts.

how to + base verb
I show them how to fasten their seat belts.I explain how to open the table.She shows me how to use the call button.
Recuerda: después de how to usamos el verbo en forma base.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

My Day as a Flight Attendant

Vocabulary
  • flight attendant — auxiliar de vuelo
  • airplane — avión
  • passenger — pasajero
  • seat — asiento
  • overhead bin — compartimento superior
  • on board — a bordo
  • takeoff — despegue
  • seat belt — cinturón de seguridad
  • serve drinks — servir bebidas
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

beltsseattheirfastentohowthemshowI
Reading comprehension
  1. What is my job?
  2. What do I check before passengers arrive?
  3. How do I help passengers before takeoff?
  4. What do I do during the flight?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work on an airplane.
  • I help passengers find their seats.
  • I serve drinks.

Translate into English:

  • Soy auxiliar de vuelo.
  • Doy la bienvenida a los pasajeros.
  • Respondo preguntas.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
Before every flight, I meet the rest of the cabin crew and prepare the cabin. We check the emergency equipment, make sure the aisles are clear, and organize the drinks and snacks. When passengers come on board, I greet them and help with their hand luggage. Before takeoff, I give safety instructions and check that everyone is seated. During the flight, I look after the passengers and help them whenever they need something.
A2 | BÁSICO
Antes de cada vuelo, me reúno con el resto de la tripulación de cabina y preparamos la cabina. Revisamos el equipo de emergencia, comprobamos que los pasillos estén despejados y organizamos las bebidas y los aperitivos. Cuando los pasajeros suben a bordo, los saludo y les ayudo con el equipaje de mano. Antes del despegue, doy las instrucciones de seguridad y compruebo que todos estén sentados. Durante el vuelo, atiendo a los pasajeros y les ayudo cuando necesitan algo.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Before every flight, I met the rest of the cabin crew and prepared the cabin. We checked the emergency equipment, made sure the aisles were clear, and organized the drinks and snacks. When passengers came on board, I greeted them and helped with their hand luggage. Before takeoff, I gave safety instructions and checked that everyone was seated. During the flight, I looked after the passengers and helped them whenever they needed something.
Main changes
meetmetpreparepreparedcheckcheckedmake suremade surearewereorganizeorganizedcomecamegreetgreetedhelphelpedgivegaveiswaslook afterlooked afterneedneeded
💡 A2 | Grammar pointmake sure + clause

Usamos make sure + oración para comprobar que algo está en orden: We make sure the aisles are clear.

make sure + subject + verb
We make sure the aisles are clear.I make sure everyone is seated.We make sure the equipment is ready.
Fíjate: después de make sure aparece una oración completa con sujeto y verbo.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

My Day as a Flight Attendant

Vocabulary
  • cabin crew — tripulación de cabina
  • cabin — cabina
  • emergency equipment — equipo de emergencia
  • aisle — pasillo
  • hand luggage — equipaje de mano
  • safety instructions — instrucciones de seguridad
  • come on board — subir a bordo
  • look after — atender / cuidar
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

clearareaislesthesuremakeWe
Reading comprehension
  1. What do we prepare before every flight?
  2. What do we check in the cabin?
  3. How do I help passengers when they board?
  4. What do I do during the flight?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • We check the emergency equipment.
  • I give safety instructions.
  • I look after the passengers.

Translate into English:

  • Preparamos la cabina.
  • Los pasillos están despejados.
  • Les ayudo con el equipaje de mano.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
Most flights are routine, but I still have to stay alert. Before departure, I check that luggage is stored safely and that passengers are following the safety instructions. Once we are in the air, I walk through the cabin, serve food and drinks, and deal with different requests. Sometimes a passenger feels nervous, so I try to put them at ease by explaining what is happening. If turbulence starts, I make sure everyone sits down and fastens their seat belt. Staying calm helps passengers feel more secure.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
La mayoría de los vuelos son rutinarios, pero aun así tengo que mantenerme atento. Antes de la salida, compruebo que el equipaje esté guardado de forma segura y que los pasajeros sigan las instrucciones de seguridad. Una vez que estamos en el aire, recorro la cabina, sirvo comida y bebidas y atiendo distintas peticiones. A veces un pasajero se pone nervioso, así que intento tranquilizarlo explicándole lo que está ocurriendo. Si empieza a haber turbulencias, me aseguro de que todos se sienten y se abrochen el cinturón. Mantener la calma ayuda a que los pasajeros se sientan más seguros.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Most flights were routine, but I still had to stay alert. Before departure, I checked that luggage was stored safely and that passengers were following the safety instructions. Once we were in the air, I walked through the cabin, served food and drinks, and dealt with different requests. Sometimes a passenger felt nervous, so I tried to put them at ease by explaining what was happening. If turbulence started, I made sure everyone sat down and fastened their seat belt. Staying calm helped passengers feel more secure.
Main changes
arewerehave to stayhad to staycheckcheckedis storedwas storedare followingwere followingarewerewalkwalkedserveserveddeal withdealt withfeelsfelttrytriedis happeningwas happeningstartsstartedmake suremade suresitssatfastensfastenedhelpshelped
💡 B1 | Grammar pointby + -ing

Usamos by + -ing para explicar cómo conseguimos un resultado: I put them at ease by explaining what is happening.

by + verb-ing
I put them at ease by explaining the situation.I help by answering questions.I reassure them by speaking calmly.
Idea clave: by + -ing responde a «¿cómo?» se realiza una acción.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

My Day as a Flight Attendant

Vocabulary
  • stay alert — mantenerse atento
  • departure — salida
  • store luggage — guardar el equipaje
  • walk through the cabin — recorrer la cabina
  • deal with requests — atender peticiones
  • put someone at ease — tranquilizar a alguien
  • turbulence — turbulencias
  • feel secure — sentirse seguro
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

happeningiswhatexplainingbyeaseatthemputI
Reading comprehension
  1. Why must I stay alert?
  2. What do I do once we are in the air?
  3. How do I reassure nervous passengers?
  4. What happens if turbulence starts?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I stay alert.
  • I deal with different requests.
  • Staying calm helps passengers feel secure.

Translate into English:

  • Recorro la cabina.
  • Intento tranquilizarlo.
  • Todos se abrochan el cinturón.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Working as a flight attendant means being ready to switch from customer service to safety duties in an instant. A passenger may need help with a connection, feel unwell, or become upset because of a delay. I have to read the situation quickly and decide the best way to respond. When the cabin gets busy, several requests can come in at once, so I need to keep track of what still needs to be done. Even when things do not go according to plan, I try to keep a cool head and make sure the passengers are kept in the loop.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Trabajar como auxiliar de vuelo significa estar preparado para pasar de la atención al pasajero a las tareas de seguridad en cuestión de segundos. Un pasajero puede necesitar ayuda con una conexión, encontrarse mal o molestarse por un retraso. Tengo que interpretar rápidamente la situación y decidir la mejor manera de responder. Cuando hay mucho movimiento en la cabina, pueden llegar varias peticiones a la vez, así que necesito llevar el control de lo que todavía queda por hacer. Incluso cuando las cosas no salen según lo previsto, intento mantener la calma y asegurarme de que los pasajeros estén informados.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Working as a flight attendant meant being ready to switch from customer service to safety duties in an instant. A passenger might need help with a connection, feel unwell, or become upset because of a delay. I had to read the situation quickly and decide the best way to respond. When the cabin got busy, several requests could come in at once, so I needed to keep track of what still needed to be done. Even when things did not go according to plan, I tried to keep a cool head and make sure the passengers were kept in the loop.
Main changes
meansmeantmay needmight needhave to readhad to readgetsgotcan come incould come inneed to keep trackneeded to keep trackneeds to be doneneeded to be donedo not godid not gotrytriedare keptwere kept
💡 B2 | Grammar pointwhat still needs to be done

La estructura what still needs to be done funciona como una cláusula incrustada: significa «lo que todavía queda por hacer».

what + subject + needs to be + past participle
I keep track of what still needs to be done.I know what needs to be checked.We decide what needs to be changed.
Fíjate: después de what mantenemos el orden afirmativo.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

My Day as a Flight Attendant

Vocabulary
  • in an instant — en un instante
  • connection — conexión / vuelo de enlace
  • feel unwell — encontrarse mal
  • read the situation — interpretar la situación
  • come in at once — llegar a la vez
  • keep track of — llevar el control de
  • go according to plan — salir según lo previsto
  • keep a cool head — mantener la calma
  • keep someone in the loop — mantener a alguien informado
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

donebetoneedsstillwhatoftrackkeepI
Reading comprehension
  1. Why may a passenger need extra help?
  2. What happens when the cabin gets busy?
  3. What do I keep track of?
  4. How do I react when things do not go according to plan?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I read the situation quickly.
  • I keep track of what needs to be done.
  • I keep a cool head.

Translate into English:

  • Un pasajero puede encontrarse mal.
  • Pueden llegar varias peticiones a la vez.
  • Los pasajeros están informados.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
A large part of the job involves anticipating problems before they become disruptive. I constantly monitor the cabin, paying attention to passengers who appear anxious, confused, or unwell. Small signs can speak volumes, especially when someone is reluctant to ask for help. I also need to strike a balance between being approachable and enforcing rules that are there for everyone's safety. If a difficult situation arises, clear communication can prevent it from getting out of hand. The aim is to remain professional without losing the human side of the job.
C1 | AVANZADO
Una parte importante del trabajo consiste en anticipar los problemas antes de que lleguen a alterar la situación. Observo constantemente la cabina y presto atención a los pasajeros que parecen nerviosos, confusos o indispuestos. Los pequeños indicios pueden decir mucho, especialmente cuando alguien se muestra reacio a pedir ayuda. También tengo que encontrar un equilibrio entre ser accesible y hacer cumplir unas normas que existen por la seguridad de todos. Si surge una situación difícil, una comunicación clara puede impedir que se descontrole. El objetivo es mantener la profesionalidad sin perder el lado humano del trabajo.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

A large part of the job involved anticipating problems before they became disruptive. I constantly monitored the cabin, paying attention to passengers who appeared anxious, confused, or unwell. Small signs could speak volumes, especially when someone was reluctant to ask for help. I also needed to strike a balance between being approachable and enforcing rules that were there for everyone's safety. If a difficult situation arose, clear communication could prevent it from getting out of hand. The aim was to remain professional without losing the human side of the job.
Main changes
involvesinvolvedbecomebecamemonitormonitoredappearappearedcan speakcould speakiswasneed to strikeneeded to strikearewerearisesarosecan preventcould preventiswas
💡 C1 | Grammar pointprevent + object + from + -ing

Usamos prevent + objeto + from + -ing para expresar que impedimos que algo ocurra: prevent it from getting out of hand.

prevent + object + from + verb-ing
Clear communication can prevent it from getting out of hand.Rules prevent people from entering.Calm words can prevent a conflict from escalating.
Recuerda: después de from usamos un verbo terminado en -ing.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

My Day as a Flight Attendant

Vocabulary
  • anticipate a problem — anticipar un problema
  • disruptive — que altera / causa problemas
  • speak volumes — decir mucho
  • reluctant — reacio
  • strike a balance — encontrar un equilibrio
  • enforce rules — hacer cumplir las normas
  • get out of hand — descontrolarse
  • approachable — accesible / cercano
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

handofoutgettingfromitpreventcancommunicationClear
Reading comprehension
  1. Why do I monitor the cabin closely?
  2. What can small signs reveal?
  3. What balance do I need to strike?
  4. How can communication help in a difficult situation?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Small signs can speak volumes.
  • I need to strike a balance.
  • The situation can get out of hand.

Translate into English:

  • Presto atención a los pasajeros.
  • Hago cumplir las normas.
  • Mantengo la profesionalidad.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
Cabin service may be the most visible part of the job, but effective cabin crew work depends largely on judgment, communication, and situational awareness. I have to process several streams of information at once: passenger behavior, announcements from the flight deck, time constraints, and the needs of the crew around me. Having learned not to take apparent calm at face value, I pay attention to subtle changes in the cabin. Should a situation escalate, I need to respond firmly without pouring fuel on the fire. There is often a fine line between reassuring someone and giving them information that cannot yet be confirmed. Good judgment lies in knowing what to say, when to say it, and when restraint is the better option.
C2 | COMPETENTE
El servicio de cabina puede ser la parte más visible del trabajo, pero la eficacia de la tripulación depende en gran medida del criterio, la comunicación y la percepción de lo que ocurre alrededor. Tengo que procesar al mismo tiempo distintas fuentes de información: el comportamiento de los pasajeros, los avisos de la cabina de mando, las limitaciones de tiempo y las necesidades de los compañeros que me rodean. Después de aprender a no dar por hecho que todo está bien solo porque lo parece, presto atención a cambios sutiles en la cabina. Si una situación se agrava, tengo que responder con firmeza sin echar más leña al fuego. A menudo existe una línea muy fina entre tranquilizar a alguien y proporcionarle información que todavía no se puede confirmar. Un buen criterio consiste en saber qué decir, cuándo decirlo y cuándo es mejor actuar con prudencia.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Cabin service might have been the most visible part of the job, but effective cabin crew work depended largely on judgment, communication, and situational awareness. I had to process several streams of information at once: passenger behavior, announcements from the flight deck, time constraints, and the needs of the crew around me. Having learned not to take apparent calm at face value, I paid attention to subtle changes in the cabin. Should a situation escalate, I needed to respond firmly without pouring fuel on the fire. There was often a fine line between reassuring someone and giving them information that could not yet be confirmed. Good judgment lay in knowing what to say, when to say it, and when restraint was the better option.
Main changes
may bemight have beendependsdependedhave to processhad to processpaypaidneed to respondneeded to respondiswascannot yet be confirmedcould not yet be confirmedlieslayiswas
💡 C2 | Grammar pointHaving + past participle

La estructura Having + participio indica que una experiencia anterior es relevante para la situación actual: Having learned not to take apparent calm at face value....

Having + past participle, main clause
Having learned from experience, I pay attention to subtle changes.Having checked the cabin, I report to the crew.Having dealt with similar situations, I stay calm.
Idea clave: la acción con having ocurre antes de la acción principal.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

My Day as a Flight Attendant

Vocabulary
  • situational awareness — conciencia de la situación
  • flight deck — cabina de mando
  • take something at face value — aceptar algo tal como parece
  • subtle change — cambio sutil
  • escalate — agravarse / intensificarse
  • pour fuel on the fire — echar más leña al fuego
  • a fine line between... and... — una línea muy fina entre...
  • restraint — prudencia / contención
  • time constraints — limitaciones de tiempo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

changessubtletoattentionpayIexperiencefromlearnedHaving
Reading comprehension
  1. What does effective cabin crew work depend on?
  2. Which information streams must I process?
  3. Why do I pay attention to subtle changes?
  4. What does good judgment involve?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I pay attention to subtle changes.
  • A situation may escalate.
  • There is a fine line between the two.

Translate into English:

  • Tengo que procesar distintas fuentes de información.
  • No quiero echar más leña al fuego.
  • Un buen criterio requiere prudencia.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.