Working as an Electrician – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

young male electrician checking a light and electrical wiring in a house
Vocabulary: electrician · switch · bulb · wire
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I work as an electrician. Today I go to a house. A light does not work. I look at the switch and the bulb. Then I check the wire. I replace a small part. The light turns on again.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Trabajo como electricista. Hoy voy a una casa. Una luz no funciona. Miro el interruptor y la bombilla. Después reviso el cable. Cambio una pieza pequeña. La luz se enciende otra vez.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as an electrician. That day I went to a house. A light did not work. I looked at the switch and the bulb. Then I checked the wire. I replaced a small part. The light turned on again.
Main changes
workworked gowent does not workdid not work look atlooked at checkchecked replacereplaced turns onturned on
💡 A1 | Grammar point turn on

En The light turns on again, el phrasal verb turn on significa que un aparato o una luz empieza a funcionar.

turn on = start working / become lit
The light turns on. I turn on the lamp. The TV turns on quickly.
Recuerda: turn on puede usarse con objetos, como I turn on the light, o sin objeto, como The light turns on.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

Working as an Electrician

Vocabulary
  • electrician — electricista
  • house — casa
  • light — luz
  • switch — interruptor
  • bulb — bombilla
  • wire — cable
  • small part — pieza pequeña
  • to replace — cambiar / sustituir
  • again — otra vez
  • to turn on — encenderse
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

again on turns light The
Reading comprehension
  1. Where do I go today?
  2. What does not work?
  3. What do I check after the bulb?
  4. What happens at the end?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work as an electrician.
  • I replace a small part.
  • The light turns on again.

Translate into English:

  • Hoy voy a una casa.
  • Después reviso el cable.
  • La luz se enciende otra vez.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as an electrician. Every day, I check lights, outlets, and switches. Before I start, I turn off the power to work safely. Today I fix a hallway lamp. Then I make sure everything works properly and explain the problem to the customer.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como electricista. Cada día reviso luces, enchufes e interruptores. Antes de empezar, corto la corriente para trabajar con seguridad. Hoy arreglo una lámpara del pasillo. Después compruebo que todo funciona bien y explico el problema al cliente.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as an electrician. Every day, I checked lights, outlets, and switches. Before I started, I turned off the power to work safely. That day I fixed a hallway lamp. Then I made sure everything worked properly and explained the problem to the customer.
Main changes
workworked checkchecked startstarted turn offturned off fixfixed make suremade sure worksworked explainexplained
💡 A2 | Grammar point make sure + clause

Usamos make sure para comprobar que algo está correcto o seguro: I make sure everything works properly.

make sure + subject + verb
I make sure the light works properly. She makes sure the power is off. We make sure everything is safe.
Observa: después de make sure solemos usar una oración completa, no solo una palabra.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

Working as an Electrician

Vocabulary
  • outlets — enchufes
  • switches — interruptores
  • to turn off the power — cortar la corriente
  • safely — con seguridad
  • hallway lamp — lámpara del pasillo
  • to work properly — funcionar bien
  • customer — cliente
  • problem — problema
  • to fix — arreglar
  • to explain — explicar
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

properly works everything sure make I
Reading comprehension
  1. What do I check every day?
  2. Why do I turn off the power?
  3. What do I fix today?
  4. Who do I explain the problem to?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Before I start, I turn off the power.
  • Today I fix a hallway lamp.
  • Everything works properly.

Translate into English:

  • Trabajo como electricista.
  • Cada día reviso enchufes e interruptores.
  • Después explico el problema al cliente.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My day as an electrician starts by preparing my tools: screwdrivers, pliers, electrical tape, and a voltage tester. Today a customer calls me because several outlets are not working. I check the electrical panel and follow the wire route. I find a loose connection and repair it. In this job, safety always comes first.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi día como electricista empieza preparando las herramientas: destornilladores, alicates, cinta aislante y un comprobador de tensión. Hoy un cliente me llama porque varios enchufes no funcionan. Reviso el cuadro eléctrico y sigo el recorrido del cable. Encuentro una conexión floja y la reparo. En este trabajo, la seguridad siempre va primero.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My day as an electrician started by preparing my tools: screwdrivers, pliers, electrical tape, and a voltage tester. That day a customer called me because several outlets were not working. I checked the electrical panel and followed the wire route. I found a loose connection and repaired it. In this job, safety always came first.
Main changes
startsstarted callscalled are not workingwere not working checkchecked followfollowed findfound repairrepaired comes firstcame first
💡 B1 | Grammar point because + clause

En a customer calls me because several outlets are not working, usamos because para introducir la razón por la que ocurre algo.

main clause + because + reason
He calls because the lights are off. I check the panel because the outlets are not working. She is careful because safety comes first.
Consejo: después de because usamos una oración completa con sujeto y verbo.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

Working as an Electrician

Vocabulary
  • screwdrivers — destornilladores
  • pliers — alicates
  • electrical tape — cinta aislante
  • voltage tester — comprobador de tensión
  • outlets — enchufes
  • electrical panel — cuadro eléctrico
  • wire route — recorrido del cable
  • loose connection — conexión floja
  • to repair — reparar
  • safety comes first — la seguridad va primero
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

first comes always safety job, this In
Reading comprehension
  1. What tools do I prepare?
  2. Why does the customer call me?
  3. What do I find and repair?
  4. What always comes first in this job?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I prepare my tools.
  • I find a loose connection and repair it.
  • Safety always comes first.

Translate into English:

  • Sigo el recorrido del cable.
  • Varios enchufes no funcionan.
  • La seguridad siempre va primero.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Working as an electrician requires precision and great caution. A fault may seem simple, but you should not take anything for granted. Today a home has power cuts in one specific area. I check the electrical panel, inspect the outlets, and look for signs of overload. In the end, I locate the fault and leave the installation safe. In electrical work, a small oversight can cost dearly.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Trabajar como electricista exige precisión y mucha prudencia. Una avería puede parecer sencilla, pero no conviene dar nada por sentado. Hoy una vivienda tiene cortes de luz en una zona concreta. Compruebo el cuadro, reviso los enchufes y busco señales de sobrecarga. Al final, localizo el fallo y dejo la instalación segura. En electricidad, un pequeño descuido puede salir caro.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Working as an electrician required precision and great caution. A fault might seem simple, but you should not have taken anything for granted. That day a home had power cuts in one specific area. I checked the electrical panel, inspected the outlets, and looked for signs of overload. In the end, I located the fault and left the installation safe. In electrical work, a small oversight could cost dearly.
Main changes
requiresrequired hashad checkchecked inspectinspected looklooked locatelocated leaveleft
💡 B2 | Grammar point look for + noun

En I look for signs of overload, usamos look for cuando buscamos algo de forma activa.

look for + thing / sign / person
I look for signs of overload. She looks for the fault. We look for a loose wire.
Importante: look for significa “buscar”, mientras que look at significa “mirar”.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

Working as an Electrician

Vocabulary
  • precision — precisión
  • caution — prudencia
  • fault — avería / fallo
  • take for granted — dar por sentado
  • power cut — corte de luz
  • specific area — zona concreta
  • overload — sobrecarga
  • to locate — localizar
  • installation — instalación
  • oversight — descuido
  • cost dearly — salir caro
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

dearly cost can oversight small A
Reading comprehension
  1. Why does this job require caution?
  2. What problem does the home have today?
  3. What do I look for during the inspection?
  4. What can happen if there is a small oversight?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • You should not take anything for granted.
  • I look for signs of overload.
  • A small oversight can cost dearly.

Translate into English:

  • Una avería puede parecer sencilla.
  • Localizo el fallo y dejo la instalación segura.
  • Un pequeño descuido puede salir caro.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Over the years, I have learned that an electrical system speaks through small signs: a buzzing sound, a flickering light, or an outlet that gets warm. It is not enough to fix what is obvious; you have to get to the cause. I work methodically, check every step, and leave nothing to chance. In this trade, trust depends on invisible safety.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con los años, he aprendido que una instalación eléctrica habla a través de pequeños signos: un zumbido, una luz que parpadea o un enchufe que se calienta. No basta con arreglar lo evidente; hay que llegar a la causa. Trabajo con método, verifico cada paso y no dejo nada al azar. En este oficio, la confianza depende de la seguridad invisible.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Over the years, I had learned that an electrical system spoke through small signs: a buzzing sound, a flickering light, or an outlet that got warm. It was not enough to fix what was obvious; you had to get to the cause. I worked methodically, checked every step, and left nothing to chance. In this trade, trust depended on invisible safety.
Main changes
have learnedhad learned speaksspoke getsgot iswas have to gethad to get workworked checkchecked leaveleft depends ondepended on
💡 C1 | Grammar point it is not enough to + verb

La estructura it is not enough to + verb expresa que una acción por sí sola no basta: It is not enough to fix what is obvious.

it is not enough to + base verb
It is not enough to replace one part. It is not enough to check the switch. It is not enough to fix the obvious problem.
Fíjate: después de to usamos el verbo en infinitivo sin cambios: to fix, to check, to replace.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

Working as an Electrician

Vocabulary
  • electrical system — instalación / sistema eléctrico
  • buzzing sound — zumbido
  • flickering light — luz que parpadea
  • outlet — enchufe
  • to get warm — calentarse
  • obvious — evidente
  • cause — causa
  • methodically — con método
  • to leave nothing to chance — no dejar nada al azar
  • invisible safety — seguridad invisible
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

safety invisible on depends trust trade, this In
Reading comprehension
  1. What signs can show an electrical problem?
  2. Why is fixing the obvious not enough?
  3. How does the electrician work?
  4. What does trust depend on in this trade?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • A flickering light can show a problem.
  • It is not enough to fix what is obvious.
  • Trust depends on invisible safety.

Translate into English:

  • Una luz que parpadea puede indicar un fallo.
  • Hay que llegar a la causa.
  • No dejo nada al azar.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
My work as an electrician has taught me that everyday safety often depends on what nobody sees. Behind a light that turns on, there are wires, safety devices, connections, and technical decisions that must be made properly. A responsible repair does not aim simply to make something work again, but to make it work without risk. In electricity, the invisible supports visible peace of mind.
C2 | COMPETENTE
Mi trabajo como electricista me ha enseñado que la seguridad cotidiana suele depender de aquello que nadie ve. Detrás de una luz que se enciende hay cables, protecciones, conexiones y decisiones técnicas que deben estar bien tomadas. Una reparación responsable no busca solo que algo vuelva a funcionar, sino que lo haga sin riesgos. En electricidad, lo invisible sostiene la tranquilidad visible.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My work as an electrician had taught me that everyday safety often depended on what nobody saw. Behind a light that turned on, there were wires, safety devices, connections, and technical decisions that had to be made properly. A responsible repair did not aim simply to make something work again, but to make it work without risk. In electricity, the invisible supported visible peace of mind.
Main changes
has taughthad taught depends ondepended on seessaw turns onturned on arewere does not aimdid not aim supportssupported
💡 C2 | Grammar point not simply to … but to …

La estructura not simply to … but to … contrasta un objetivo insuficiente con otro más importante: no solo hacer que algo funcione, sino hacerlo funcionar sin riesgo.

not simply to + verb, but to + verb
The goal is not simply to repair it, but to make it safe. I am here not simply to fix the light, but to prevent future problems.
Observa: tras ambas partes de la estructura usamos el infinitivo con to: to repair, to make, to prevent.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

Working as an Electrician

Vocabulary
  • everyday safety — seguridad cotidiana
  • wires — cables
  • safety devices — protecciones / dispositivos de seguridad
  • connections — conexiones
  • technical decisions — decisiones técnicas
  • responsible repair — reparación responsable
  • work again — volver a funcionar
  • without risk — sin riesgos
  • the invisible — lo invisible
  • support peace of mind — sostener la tranquilidad
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

mind of peace visible supports invisible The
Reading comprehension
  1. What does everyday safety depend on?
  2. What is behind a light that turns on?
  3. What is the real goal of a responsible repair?
  4. What supports visible peace of mind in electricity?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Everyday safety often depends on what nobody sees.
  • A responsible repair must make it work without risk.
  • The invisible supports visible peace of mind.

Translate into English:

  • Detrás de una luz que se enciende hay cables y conexiones.
  • Algo debe volver a funcionar sin riesgos.
  • Lo invisible sostiene la tranquilidad visible.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.