Painting a Room – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

young male painter painting a bright room with a roller and a brush
Vocabulary: painter · roller · brush · wall
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I paint a room. I put tape on the wall and prepare the paint. I use a brush and a roller. I paint slowly. Then I clean the floor. The room looks nice and bright.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Trabajo pintando una habitación. Pongo cinta en la pared y preparo la pintura. Uso una brocha y un rodillo. Pinto despacio. Después limpio el suelo. La habitación queda bonita y luminosa.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I painted a room. I put tape on the wall and prepared the paint. I used a brush and a roller. I painted slowly. Then I cleaned the floor. The room looked nice and bright.
Main changes
paintpainted putput prepareprepared useused cleancleaned lookslooked
💡 A1 | Grammar point look + adjective

En The room looks nice and bright, el verbo look se utiliza para describir la apariencia de algo, seguido de uno o varios adjetivos.

subject + look(s) + adjective
The room looks bright. The wall looks clean. The paint looks fresh.
Recuerda: después de look usamos un adjetivo, no un adverbio. Decimos looks nice, no looks nicely.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

Painting a Room

Vocabulary
  • room — habitación
  • tape — cinta
  • wall — pared
  • paint — pintura
  • brush — brocha
  • roller — rodillo
  • slowly — despacio
  • floor — suelo
  • nice — bonita
  • bright — luminosa
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

bright and nice looks room The
Reading comprehension
  1. What do I put on the wall?
  2. What do I prepare before painting?
  3. Which two tools do I use?
  4. How does the room look at the end?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I use a brush and a roller.
  • I paint slowly.
  • The room looks nice and bright.

Translate into English:

  • Pongo cinta en la pared.
  • Después limpio el suelo.
  • La habitación queda bonita y luminosa.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as a painter. Today I paint a small room. First, I cover the floor and the furniture. Then I prepare the paint and start with the corners. I use the roller on the large walls. In the end, everything is clean and tidy.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como pintor. Hoy pinto una habitación pequeña. Primero cubro el suelo y los muebles. Después preparo la pintura y empiezo por las esquinas. Uso el rodillo en las paredes grandes. Al final, todo queda limpio y ordenado.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a painter. That day I painted a small room. First, I covered the floor and the furniture. Then I prepared the paint and started with the corners. I used the roller on the large walls. In the end, everything was clean and tidy.
Main changes
workworked paintpainted covercovered prepareprepared startstarted useused iswas
💡 A2 | Grammar point start with + noun

Utilizamos start with para indicar la parte por la que comenzamos una tarea: I start with the corners.

start with + thing / part
I start with the corners. She starts with the ceiling. We start with the edges.
Fíjate: después de start with usamos un sustantivo o grupo nominal. No decimos start with to paint.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

Painting a Room

Vocabulary
  • painter — pintor
  • small room — habitación pequeña
  • to cover — cubrir
  • furniture — muebles
  • corners — esquinas
  • roller — rodillo
  • large walls — paredes grandes
  • in the end — al final
  • clean — limpio
  • tidy — ordenado
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

tidy and clean is everything end, the In
Reading comprehension
  1. What do I cover before painting?
  2. Which part do I paint first?
  3. What do I use on the large walls?
  4. How does the room look in the end?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work as a painter.
  • I start with the corners.
  • Everything is clean and tidy.

Translate into English:

  • Hoy pinto una habitación pequeña.
  • Después preparo la pintura.
  • Uso el rodillo en las paredes grandes.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My day as a painter starts by preparing the room properly. I move some furniture, protect the outlets, and cover the floor with plastic. Before painting, I check whether the wall has cracks or stains. If necessary, I apply filler and sand the surface. In this job, preparing the base well makes a difference.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi día como pintor empieza preparando bien la habitación. Quito algunos muebles, protejo los enchufes y tapo el suelo con plástico. Antes de pintar, reviso si la pared tiene grietas o manchas. Si hace falta, aplico masilla y lijo la superficie. En este trabajo, preparar bien la base marca la diferencia.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My day as a painter started by preparing the room properly. I moved some furniture, protected the outlets, and covered the floor with plastic. Before painting, I checked whether the wall had cracks or stains. If necessary, I applied filler and sanded the surface. In this job, preparing the base well made a difference.
Main changes
startsstarted movemoved protectprotected covercovered checkchecked hashad applyapplied sandsanded makes a differencemade a difference
💡 B1 | Grammar point whether + clause

En I check whether the wall has cracks or stains, usamos whether para introducir dos posibilidades: que la pared tenga o no tenga esos problemas.

check / see / ask + whether + clause
I check whether the wall has cracks. She asks whether the paint is dry. We see whether the surface is ready.
Nota: en este contexto, whether es más natural que if cuando hablamos de una comprobación cuidadosa y más formal.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

Painting a Room

Vocabulary
  • to prepare the room — preparar la habitación
  • to move furniture — quitar o mover muebles
  • outlets — enchufes
  • plastic sheeting — plástico protector
  • cracks — grietas
  • stains — manchas
  • if necessary — si hace falta
  • filler — masilla
  • to sand — lijar
  • surface — superficie
  • base — base
  • make a difference — marcar la diferencia
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

difference a makes well base the Preparing
Reading comprehension
  1. How does my day as a painter start?
  2. Why do I check the wall before painting?
  3. What do I do if the wall has problems?
  4. What makes a difference in this job?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I protect the outlets.
  • I apply filler and sand the surface.
  • Preparing the base well makes a difference.

Translate into English:

  • Tapo el suelo con plástico.
  • Reviso si la pared tiene grietas o manchas.
  • Si hace falta, aplico masilla.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Painting a room requires more precision than it may seem. It is not just about rolling paint onto the wall, but about protecting the edges, evening out the color, and avoiding marks. Today one wall absorbs more paint than expected, so I have to apply a second coat. Although it takes longer, I prefer to do it properly and leave no loose ends.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Pintar una habitación exige más precisión de la que parece. No se trata solo de pasar el rodillo, sino de proteger los bordes, igualar el color y evitar marcas. Hoy una pared absorbe más pintura de lo esperado, así que tengo que dar una segunda capa. Aunque lleva más tiempo, prefiero hacerlo bien y no dejar cabos sueltos.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Painting a room required more precision than it might seem. It was not just about rolling paint onto the wall, but about protecting the edges, evening out the color, and avoiding marks. That day one wall absorbed more paint than expected, so I had to apply a second coat. Although it took longer, I preferred to do it properly and leave no loose ends.
Main changes
requiresrequired iswas absorbsabsorbed have to applyhad to apply takestook preferpreferred
💡 B2 | Grammar point not just about … but about …

La estructura not just about … but about … sirve para corregir una idea demasiado simple y explicar mejor en qué consiste algo.

it is not just about + A, but about + B / C
It is not just about color, but about finish too. Painting is not just about speed, but about precision.
Importante: después de about usamos sustantivos o verbos en -ing, como protecting o avoiding.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

Painting a Room

Vocabulary
  • precision — precisión
  • rolling paint — pasar el rodillo / aplicar pintura con rodillo
  • edges — bordes
  • to even out the color — igualar el color
  • marks — marcas
  • to absorb — absorber
  • second coat — segunda capa
  • take longer — llevar más tiempo
  • properly — bien / correctamente
  • leave no loose ends — no dejar cabos sueltos
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

ends loose no leave and properly it do to prefer I
Reading comprehension
  1. Why does painting a room require precision?
  2. What extra problem appears today?
  3. What do I do because one wall absorbs more paint?
  4. Why do I accept that the job takes longer?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Painting a room requires more precision than it may seem.
  • I have to apply a second coat.
  • I prefer to do it properly and leave no loose ends.

Translate into English:

  • Hay que proteger los bordes.
  • Una pared absorbe más pintura de lo esperado.
  • Aunque lleva más tiempo, prefiero hacerlo bien.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Over the years, I have learned that a good finish depends on what is almost invisible. Clean edges, wall preparation, and patience between coats are essential. A customer may focus only on the color, but I know the final result rests on those details. Painting well requires method, a steady hand, and judgment.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con los años, he aprendido que un buen acabado depende de lo que casi no se ve. La limpieza de los bordes, la preparación de la pared y la paciencia entre capa y capa son esenciales. Un cliente puede fijarse solo en el color, pero yo sé que el resultado final se sostiene en esos detalles. Pintar bien requiere método, pulso y criterio.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Over the years, I had learned that a good finish depended on what was almost invisible. Clean edges, wall preparation, and patience between coats were essential. A customer might focus only on the color, but I knew the final result rested on those details. Painting well required method, a steady hand, and judgment.
Main changes
have learnedhad learned depends ondepended on arewere may focusmight focus knowknew rests onrested on requiresrequired
💡 C1 | Grammar point depend on / rest on

En este texto aparecen depend on y rest on, dos estructuras que expresan que un resultado se apoya en ciertos factores o detalles.

something depends on / rests on + noun
A good finish depends on preparation. The final result rests on those details. Success depends on patience.
Idea clave: ambas expresiones van seguidas de un sustantivo o grupo nominal, no de un infinitivo.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

Painting a Room

Vocabulary
  • good finish — buen acabado
  • almost invisible — casi no se ve / casi invisible
  • clean edges — bordes limpios
  • wall preparation — preparación de la pared
  • between coats — entre capa y capa
  • essential — esencial
  • focus on the color — fijarse en el color
  • final result — resultado final
  • rest on details — sostenerse en los detalles
  • steady hand — pulso
  • judgment — criterio
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

details those on rests result final The
Reading comprehension
  1. What does a good finish depend on?
  2. What may the customer focus on?
  3. What does the painter know about the final result?
  4. What qualities does painting well require?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • A good finish depends on what is almost invisible.
  • The final result rests on those details.
  • Painting well requires method, a steady hand, and judgment.

Translate into English:

  • La preparación de la pared es esencial.
  • Un cliente puede fijarse solo en el color.
  • El resultado final se sostiene en esos detalles.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
My craft has taught me that painting a room is not simply about changing a color. It is about transforming the perception of a space through light, texture, and proportion. Behind an immaculate wall, there is preparation, correction, and quiet decision-making. Good work does not draw attention because of absent flaws; it allows the space to breathe without obstruction.
C2 | COMPETENTE
Mi oficio me ha enseñado que pintar una habitación no es simplemente cambiar un color. Es transformar la percepción de un espacio mediante luz, textura y proporción. Detrás de una pared impecable hay preparación, correcciones y decisiones silenciosas. Un buen trabajo no llama la atención por sus fallos ausentes, sino porque permite que el espacio respire sin obstáculos.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My craft had taught me that painting a room was not simply about changing a color. It was about transforming the perception of a space through light, texture, and proportion. Behind an immaculate wall, there was preparation, correction, and quiet decision-making. Good work did not draw attention because of absent flaws; it allowed the space to breathe without obstruction.
Main changes
has taughthad taught iswas there isthere was does not drawdid not draw allowsallowed
💡 C2 | Grammar point not because of … but because …

La idea final del texto contrapone dos causas: el buen trabajo no destaca because of absent flaws, sino because permite que el espacio respire. Es una forma elegante de explicar una causa real frente a una causa aparente.

not because of + noun, but because + clause
It is not good because of the color alone, but because the finish is balanced. The room stands out not because of decoration, but because it feels harmonious.
Observa: después de because of usamos un sustantivo o grupo nominal; después de because, una oración con sujeto y verbo.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

Painting a Room

Vocabulary
  • craft — oficio
  • change a color — cambiar un color
  • transform the perception — transformar la percepción
  • space — espacio
  • light — luz
  • texture — textura
  • proportion — proporción
  • immaculate wall — pared impecable
  • quiet decision-making — decisiones silenciosas
  • draw attention — llamar la atención
  • absent flaws — fallos ausentes
  • breathe — respirar
  • without obstruction — sin obstáculos
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

obstruction without breathe to space the allows It
Reading comprehension
  1. Why is painting a room more than changing a color?
  2. What lies behind an immaculate wall?
  3. Why does good work not draw attention?
  4. What does good work allow the space to do?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • It is about transforming the perception of a space.
  • Behind an immaculate wall, there is preparation and correction.
  • It allows the space to breathe without obstruction.

Translate into English:

  • Mi oficio me ha enseñado que pintar una habitación no es simplemente cambiar un color.
  • Detrás de una pared impecable hay decisiones silenciosas.
  • Un buen trabajo permite que el espacio respire sin obstáculos.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.