My Day as a Gardener – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

young female gardener caring for plants and trimming a garden
Vocabulary: gardener · pruning shears · rake · hose
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I work as a gardener. In the morning, I water the plants. Then I cut the grass and pick up dry leaves. I use gloves and a hose. In the end, the garden is clean and beautiful.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Trabajo como jardinera. Por la mañana, riego las plantas. Después corto el césped y recojo hojas secas. Uso guantes y una manguera. Al final, el jardín está limpio y bonito.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a gardener. In the morning, I watered the plants. Then I cut the grass and picked up dry leaves. I used gloves and a hose. In the end, the garden was clean and beautiful.
Main changes
workworked waterwatered cutcut pick uppicked up useused iswas
💡 A1 | Grammar pointpick up + noun

En I pick up dry leaves, pick up significa recoger algo del suelo o de una superficie.

pick up + thing
I pick up dry leaves. I pick up the tools. She picks up the branches.
Recuerda: pick up es un phrasal verb. Con un pronombre, este va en medio: pick them up.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

My Day as a Gardener

Vocabulary
  • gardener — jardinera
  • plants — plantas
  • to water — regar
  • grass — césped
  • dry leaves — hojas secas
  • gloves — guantes
  • hose — manguera
  • garden — jardín
  • clean — limpio
  • beautiful — bonito
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

beautiful and clean is garden The
Reading comprehension
  1. What do I do in the morning?
  2. What do I cut?
  3. What do I pick up?
  4. How does the garden look in the end?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I water the plants.
  • I use gloves and a hose.
  • The garden is clean and beautiful.

Translate into English:

  • Trabajo como jardinera.
  • Recojo hojas secas.
  • Al final, el jardín está limpio y bonito.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as a gardener at several houses. Every day, I take care of plants, cut the grass, and clean paths. I also check if the soil is dry. When it is hot, I water earlier so the plants do better.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como jardinera en varias casas. Cada día cuido plantas, corto el césped y limpio caminos. También reviso si la tierra está seca. Cuando hace calor, riego más temprano para que las plantas estén mejor.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a gardener at several houses. Every day, I took care of plants, cut the grass, and cleaned paths. I also checked if the soil was dry. When it was hot, I watered earlier so the plants did better.
Main changes
workworked take care oftook care of cutcut cleancleaned checkchecked iswas waterwatered dodid
💡 A2 | Grammar pointso + clause

Usamos so + oración para expresar un resultado o finalidad práctica: I water earlier so the plants do better.

action + so + subject + verb
I water earlier so the plants do better. I clear the path so people can walk safely. I check the soil so I know when to water.
Fíjate: después de so usamos sujeto y verbo.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

My Day as a Gardener

Vocabulary
  • several houses — varias casas
  • take care of plants — cuidar plantas
  • paths — caminos
  • soil — tierra / suelo
  • dry — seca
  • hot — calor / caluroso
  • earlier — más temprano
  • do better — estar mejor
  • grass — césped
  • to clean — limpiar
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

better do plants the so earlier water I
Reading comprehension
  1. Where do I work as a gardener?
  2. What do I check about the soil?
  3. When do I water earlier?
  4. Why do I water earlier?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I take care of plants.
  • I check if the soil is dry.
  • I water earlier so the plants do better.

Translate into English:

  • Corto el césped y limpio caminos.
  • Cuando hace calor, riego más temprano.
  • Las plantas están mejor.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My day as a gardener starts by checking my tools: pruning shears, a rake, a shovel, and a hose. Today I have to trim a hedge, remove weeds, and plant new flowers. I work slowly because every plant needs its own space. In gardening, patience makes a difference.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi día como jardinera empieza revisando las herramientas: tijeras de podar, rastrillo, pala y manguera. Hoy tengo que podar un seto, quitar malas hierbas y plantar flores nuevas. Trabajo despacio, porque cada planta necesita su espacio. En jardinería, la paciencia marca la diferencia.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My day as a gardener started by checking my tools: pruning shears, a rake, a shovel, and a hose. That day I had to trim a hedge, removed weeds, and planted new flowers. I worked slowly because every plant needed its own space. In gardening, patience made a difference.
Main changes
startsstarted have to trimhad to trim removeremoved plantplanted workworked needsneeded makesmade
💡 B1 | Grammar pointbecause + clause

Usamos because para introducir la razón de una acción: I work slowly because every plant needs its own space.

main clause + because + reason
I work slowly because every plant needs space. I water early because the day is hot. I remove weeds because they compete with the flowers.
Recuerda: después de because aparece una oración completa.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

My Day as a Gardener

Vocabulary
  • pruning shears — tijeras de podar
  • rake — rastrillo
  • shovel — pala
  • hose — manguera
  • trim a hedge — podar un seto
  • remove weeds — quitar malas hierbas
  • plant flowers — plantar flores
  • need one’s own space — necesitar su espacio
  • patience — paciencia
  • make a difference — marcar la diferencia
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

space own its needs plant Every
Reading comprehension
  1. Which tools do I check?
  2. What three jobs do I have to do today?
  3. Why do I work slowly?
  4. What makes a difference in gardening?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I have to trim a hedge.
  • Every plant needs its own space.
  • Patience makes a difference.

Translate into English:

  • Quito malas hierbas.
  • Planto flores nuevas.
  • Trabajo despacio porque cada planta necesita su espacio.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Working as a gardener requires consistency, observation, and knowledge of the weather. It is not enough to water and cut: you have to understand the soil, the light, and the season. Today a garden is neglected, but it is not wise to do everything at once. I go step by step, clear the dry areas, and prepare the ground for new plants.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Trabajar como jardinera exige constancia, observación y conocimiento del clima. No basta con regar y cortar: hay que entender la tierra, la luz y la época del año. Hoy un jardín está descuidado, pero no conviene hacerlo todo de golpe. Voy paso a paso, limpio las zonas secas y preparo el terreno para nuevas plantas.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Working as a gardener required consistency, observation, and knowledge of the weather. It was not enough to water and cut: you had to understand the soil, the light, and the season. That day a garden was neglected, but it was not wise to do everything at once. I went step by step, cleared the dry areas, and prepared the ground for new plants.
Main changes
requiresrequired iswas have to understandhad to understand gowent clearcleared prepareprepared
💡 B2 | Grammar pointit is not enough to + verb

La estructura it is not enough to + verbo expresa que una acción por sí sola no basta: It is not enough to water and cut.

it is not enough to + base verb
It is not enough to water the plants. It is not enough to cut the grass. It is not enough to work quickly.
Fíjate: después de to usamos el verbo en forma base.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

My Day as a Gardener

Vocabulary
  • consistency — constancia
  • observation — observación
  • weather — clima
  • soil — tierra
  • season — época del año
  • neglected — descuidado
  • at once — de golpe / de una vez
  • step by step — paso a paso
  • clear dry areas — limpiar zonas secas
  • prepare the ground — preparar el terreno
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

ground the prepare and step by step go I
Reading comprehension
  1. What knowledge does a gardener need?
  2. Why is watering and cutting not enough?
  3. Why should the neglected garden not be fixed all at once?
  4. What do I prepare for new plants?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • It is not enough to water and cut.
  • I go step by step.
  • I prepare the ground for new plants.

Translate into English:

  • Hay que entender la tierra, la luz y la época del año.
  • El jardín está descuidado.
  • No conviene hacerlo todo de golpe.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Over the years, I have learned that a garden does not change overnight. You have to observe how it grows, detect signs of dryness or pests, and respect each plant’s rhythm. Sometimes, cutting less is better than cutting too much. In this trade, knowing how to wait is as important as knowing how to act.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con los años, he aprendido que un jardín no se transforma de un día para otro. Hay que observar cómo crece, detectar señales de sequedad o plagas y respetar el ritmo de cada planta. A veces, cortar menos es mejor que cortar de más. En este oficio, saber esperar es tan importante como saber actuar.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Over the years, I had learned that a garden did not change overnight. You had to observe how it grew, detected signs of dryness or pests, and respected each plant’s rhythm. Sometimes, cutting less was better than cutting too much. In this trade, knowing how to wait was as important as knowing how to act.
Main changes
have learnedhad learned does not changedid not change have to observehad to observe growsgrew detectdetected respectrespected iswas
💡 C1 | Grammar pointas + adjective + as

Usamos as + adjective + as para expresar igualdad: knowing how to wait is as important as knowing how to act.

A + be + as + adjective + as + B
Waiting is as important as acting. Observation is as important as watering. Patience is as valuable as experience.
Atención: decimos as important as, no as important than.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

My Day as a Gardener

Vocabulary
  • overnight — de un día para otro
  • dryness — sequedad
  • pests — plagas
  • plant’s rhythm — ritmo de la planta
  • cutting less — cortar menos
  • cutting too much — cortar de más
  • know how to wait — saber esperar
  • know how to act — saber actuar
  • observe growth — observar cómo crece
  • respect — respetar
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

act to how knowing as important as is wait to how Knowing
Reading comprehension
  1. Why does a garden not change overnight?
  2. What signs must a gardener detect?
  3. Why can cutting less be better?
  4. What two abilities are equally important?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • A garden does not change overnight.
  • Cutting less is better than cutting too much.
  • Knowing how to wait is as important as knowing how to act.

Translate into English:

  • Hay que respetar el ritmo de cada planta.
  • A veces, cortar menos es mejor.
  • Saber esperar es tan importante como saber actuar.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
My work as a gardener has taught me that caring for a garden means holding a dialogue with something alive. The soil responds, plants show their limits, and the weather forces every decision to be adjusted. Behind a balanced green space, there is pruning, watering, patience, and a constant reading of the surroundings. A well-kept garden is not forced; it is guided until it finds its shape.
C2 | COMPETENTE
Mi trabajo como jardinera me ha enseñado que cuidar un jardín es dialogar con algo vivo. La tierra responde, las plantas muestran sus límites y el clima obliga a ajustar cada decisión. Detrás de un espacio verde equilibrado hay poda, riego, paciencia y lectura constante del entorno. Un jardín bien cuidado no se impone: se acompaña hasta que encuentra su forma.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My work as a gardener had taught me that caring for a garden meant holding a dialogue with something alive. The soil responded, plants showed their limits, and the weather forced every decision to be adjusted. Behind a balanced green space, there was pruning, watering, patience, and a constant reading of the surroundings. A well-kept garden was not forced; it was guided until it found its shape.
Main changes
has taughthad taught meansmeant respondsresponded showshowed forcesforced iswas is not forcedwas not forced is guidedwas guided findsfound
💡 C2 | Grammar pointforce + object + to-infinitive

En the weather forces every decision to be adjusted, la estructura force + objeto + to-infinitive expresa que algo obliga a que ocurra una acción.

force + object + to + verb
The weather forces us to adapt. Heat forces the gardener to water earlier. Rain forces the plan to be changed.
Importante: después de force + objeto usamos to + verbo.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

My Day as a Gardener

Vocabulary
  • hold a dialogue — mantener un diálogo
  • something alive — algo vivo
  • soil responds — la tierra responde
  • show limits — mostrar límites
  • adjust a decision — ajustar una decisión
  • balanced green space — espacio verde equilibrado
  • pruning — poda
  • reading of the surroundings — lectura del entorno
  • well-kept garden — jardín bien cuidado
  • find its shape — encontrar su forma
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

shape its finds it until guided is garden well-kept A
Reading comprehension
  1. Why does the gardener compare care to a dialogue?
  2. What does the weather force the gardener to do?
  3. What lies behind a balanced green space?
  4. How does a well-kept garden find its shape?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Caring for a garden means holding a dialogue with something alive.
  • The weather forces every decision to be adjusted.
  • A well-kept garden is guided until it finds its shape.

Translate into English:

  • La tierra responde y las plantas muestran sus límites.
  • Detrás de un espacio verde equilibrado hay paciencia.
  • Un jardín bien cuidado encuentra su forma.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.