Working at a Car Workshop – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

mechanic inspecting a car engine in an auto repair shop
Vocabulary: mechanic · hood · engine · tires
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I work at a car workshop. A car comes in in the morning. I hear a strange noise. I open the hood and look at the engine. I check the oil and the tires. Then I talk to the customer.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Trabajo en un taller mecánico. Un coche entra por la mañana. Escucho un ruido extraño. Abro el capó y miro el motor. Reviso el aceite y las ruedas. Después hablo con el cliente.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked at a car workshop. A car came in in the morning. I heard a strange noise. I opened the hood and looked at the engine. I checked the oil and the tires. Then I talked to the customer.
Main changes
workworked comes incame in hearheard openopened looklooked checkchecked talktalked
💡 A1 | Grammar point look at + noun

En I look at the engine, el verbo look necesita la preposición at cuando dirigimos la vista hacia una persona o cosa.

look at + persona / cosa
I look at the engine. I look at the tires. The mechanic looks at the car.
Atención: decimos look at the engine, no look the engine.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

Working at a Car Workshop

Vocabulary
  • car workshop — taller mecánico
  • car — coche
  • to come in — entrar / llegar
  • strange noise — ruido extraño
  • hood — capó
  • engine — motor
  • oil — aceite
  • tires — neumáticos / ruedas
  • to check — revisar
  • customer — cliente
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

the tires and the oil check I
Reading comprehension
  1. When does the car come in?
  2. What strange thing do I hear?
  3. What do I look at after opening the hood?
  4. Who do I talk to at the end?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I hear a strange noise.
  • I open the hood.
  • I check the oil and the tires.

Translate into English:

  • Trabajo en un taller mecánico.
  • Miro el motor.
  • Hablo con el cliente.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as a mechanic in a workshop. Every day, I check cars, change oil, and test the brakes. When a customer arrives, I listen to the problem and inspect the vehicle carefully. Sometimes the solution is simple; other times I need more time.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como mecánico en un taller. Cada día reviso coches, cambio aceite y compruebo los frenos. Cuando un cliente llega, escucho el problema y miro el vehículo con cuidado. A veces la solución es sencilla; otras veces necesito más tiempo.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a mechanic in a workshop. Every day, I checked cars, changed oil, and tested the brakes. When a customer arrived, I listened to the problem and inspected the vehicle carefully. Sometimes the solution was simple; other times I needed more time.
Main changes
workworked checkchecked changechanged testtested arrivesarrived listenlistened inspectinspected iswas needneeded
💡 A2 | Grammar point sometimes… other times

Utilizamos sometimes… other times para contrastar lo que ocurre en unas ocasiones con lo que ocurre en otras.

Sometimes + oración; other times + oración
Sometimes the solution is simple; other times I need more time. Sometimes I change the oil; other times I test the brakes.
Fíjate: other times significa «otras veces» y no necesita un sustantivo después.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

Working at a Car Workshop

Vocabulary
  • mechanic — mecánico
  • workshop — taller
  • to check a car — revisar un coche
  • to change oil — cambiar el aceite
  • to test the brakes — comprobar los frenos
  • customer — cliente
  • problem — problema
  • vehicle — vehículo
  • carefully — con cuidado
  • solution — solución
  • simple — sencillo
  • to need more time — necesitar más tiempo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

the vehicle carefully and inspect I listen to the problem When a customer arrives
Reading comprehension
  1. What three things do I do every day?
  2. What do I do when a customer arrives?
  3. How do I inspect the vehicle?
  4. Why might I need more time?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I change oil.
  • I test the brakes.
  • Sometimes the solution is simple.

Translate into English:

  • Trabajo como mecánico.
  • Escucho el problema.
  • Otras veces necesito más tiempo.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My day at the workshop starts by checking the appointments and preparing the tools. Some cars come in for a service; others arrive with more serious faults. Today a customer notices a noise when braking. I check the pads, the discs, and the brake fluid level. In this job, listening carefully to the problem helps you get to the point.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi día en el taller empieza revisando las citas y preparando las herramientas. Algunos coches vienen por una revisión; otros llegan con averías más serias. Hoy un cliente nota un ruido al frenar. Compruebo las pastillas, los discos y el nivel del líquido de frenos. En este trabajo, escuchar bien el problema ayuda a ir al grano.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My day at the workshop started by checking the appointments and preparing the tools. Some cars came in for a service; others arrived with more serious faults. That day, a customer noticed a noise when braking. I checked the pads, the discs, and the brake fluid level. In that job, listening carefully to the problem helped you get to the point.
Main changes
startsstarted come incame in arrivearrived todaythat day noticesnoticed checkchecked helpshelped
💡 B1 | Grammar point start by + verb-ing

Utilizamos start by + -ing para indicar la primera acción de una secuencia: My day starts by checking the appointments.

start by + verbo terminado en -ing
I start by checking the appointments. The mechanic starts by listening to the customer. We start by preparing the tools.
Recuerda: después de by usamos la forma en -ing: by checking, no by check.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

Working at a Car Workshop

Vocabulary
  • appointment — cita
  • tool — herramienta
  • to come in for a service — venir para una revisión
  • serious fault — avería seria
  • to notice a noise — notar un ruido
  • when braking — al frenar
  • brake pad — pastilla de freno
  • brake disc — disco de freno
  • brake fluid — líquido de frenos
  • fluid level — nivel del líquido
  • listen carefully — escuchar con atención
  • get to the point — ir al grano
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

get to the point helps you to the problem Listening carefully
Reading comprehension
  1. What do I do before working on the cars?
  2. Why do different cars come into the workshop?
  3. What problem does one customer report?
  4. Which brake components do I check?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Some cars come in for a service.
  • A customer notices a noise when braking.
  • I check the brake fluid level.

Translate into English:

  • Preparo las herramientas.
  • Algunos coches llegan con averías más serias.
  • Escuchar bien el problema ayuda a ir al grano.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Working at a car workshop requires precision, patience, and responsibility. A small fault can hide a bigger problem, so it is better not to jump to conclusions. Today I inspect a car that is leaking oil. I clean the area, locate the leak, and explain to the customer which part needs replacing. If it is ignored, the problem can get worse.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Trabajar en un taller mecánico exige precisión, paciencia y responsabilidad. Una avería pequeña puede esconder un problema mayor, así que no conviene sacar conclusiones precipitadas. Hoy reviso un coche que pierde aceite. Limpio la zona, localizo la fuga y explico al cliente qué pieza hay que cambiar. Si se deja pasar, el problema puede ir a más.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Working at a car workshop required precision, patience, and responsibility. A small fault could hide a bigger problem, so it was better not to jump to conclusions. That day, I inspected a car that was leaking oil. I cleaned the area, located the leak, and explained to the customer which part needed replacing. If it was ignored, the problem could get worse.
Main changes
requiresrequired can hidecould hide is betterwas better todaythat day inspectinspected is leakingwas leaking cleancleaned locatelocated explainexplained needs replacingneeded replacing is ignoredwas ignored can getcould get
💡 B2 | Grammar point it is better not to + verb

Utilizamos it is better not to + verbo para recomendar que evitemos una acción: It is better not to jump to conclusions.

it is better not to + verbo base
It is better not to jump to conclusions. It is better not to ignore an oil leak. It is better not to delay the repair.
Fíjate: después de to usamos la forma base del verbo: to jump, to ignore, to delay.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

Working at a Car Workshop

Vocabulary
  • precision — precisión
  • patience — paciencia
  • responsibility — responsabilidad
  • small fault — avería pequeña
  • bigger problem — problema mayor
  • jump to conclusions — sacar conclusiones precipitadas
  • to leak oil — perder aceite
  • to locate a leak — localizar una fuga
  • part — pieza
  • need replacing — necesitar ser reemplazado
  • ignore a problem — dejar pasar / ignorar un problema
  • get worse — ir a más / empeorar
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

too quickly to conclusions not to jump It is better
Reading comprehension
  1. Why should a mechanic avoid jumping to conclusions?
  2. What problem does the car have today?
  3. What steps do I take before explaining the repair?
  4. What can happen if the problem is ignored?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • A small fault can hide a bigger problem.
  • I locate the leak.
  • The problem can get worse.

Translate into English:

  • No conviene sacar conclusiones precipitadas.
  • Hoy reviso un coche que pierde aceite.
  • Explico al cliente qué pieza hay que cambiar.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Over the years, I have learned that diagnosing a fault is almost like following a clue. A sound, a vibration, or a stain on the floor can say a lot. It is not enough to replace parts at random; you have to understand the cause. In this trade, working methodically prevents costly mistakes and builds trust with the customer.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con los años, he aprendido que diagnosticar una avería es casi como seguir una pista. Un sonido, una vibración o una mancha en el suelo pueden decir mucho. No basta con cambiar piezas al azar; hay que entender la causa. En este oficio, trabajar con método evita errores caros y genera confianza en el cliente.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, I had learned that diagnosing a fault was almost like following a clue. A sound, a vibration, or a stain on the floor could say a lot. It was not enough to replace parts at random; you had to understand the cause. In that trade, working methodically prevented costly mistakes and built trust with the customer.
Main changes
have learnedhad learned iswas can saycould say is not enoughwas not enough have to understandhad to understand preventsprevented buildsbuilt
💡 C1 | Grammar point it is not enough to + verb

Utilizamos it is not enough to + verbo para expresar que una acción por sí sola no es suficiente: It is not enough to replace parts at random.

it is not enough to + verbo base
It is not enough to replace parts at random. It is not enough to hear the noise; you need to find the cause. It is not enough to fix the symptom.
Idea clave: esta estructura suele introducir después lo que realmente hace falta para resolver la situación.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

Working at a Car Workshop

Vocabulary
  • to diagnose a fault — diagnosticar una avería
  • follow a clue — seguir una pista
  • vibration — vibración
  • stain on the floor — mancha en el suelo
  • to say a lot — decir mucho
  • replace parts — cambiar piezas
  • at random — al azar
  • cause — causa
  • work methodically — trabajar con método
  • costly mistake — error caro
  • prevent — evitar
  • build trust — generar confianza
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

the cause you have to understand at random to replace parts It is not enough
Reading comprehension
  1. Why is diagnosing a fault compared to following a clue?
  2. Which signs can reveal useful information?
  3. Why is replacing parts at random not enough?
  4. What are two benefits of working methodically?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • A vibration can say a lot.
  • You have to understand the cause.
  • Working methodically prevents costly mistakes.

Translate into English:

  • Diagnosticar una avería es casi como seguir una pista.
  • No basta con cambiar piezas al azar.
  • Trabajar con método genera confianza en el cliente.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
My work at the workshop has taught me that a car speaks, even without words. Every noise reveals a strain, every worn part tells a story, and every fault forces you to look beyond the obvious. A proper repair is not about putting a patch on the problem, but about restoring safety to someone who relies on that vehicle to move through daily life.
C2 | COMPETENTE
Mi trabajo en el taller me ha enseñado que un coche habla, aunque no use palabras. Cada ruido revela una tensión, cada desgaste cuenta una historia y cada avería obliga a mirar más allá de lo evidente. Reparar bien no consiste en poner un parche, sino en devolver seguridad a quien confía en ese vehículo para moverse por su vida diaria.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, my work at the workshop had taught me that a car spoke, even without words. Every noise revealed a strain, every worn part told a story, and every fault forced you to look beyond the obvious. A proper repair was not about putting a patch on the problem, but about restoring safety to someone who relied on that vehicle to move through daily life.
Main changes
has taughthad taught speaksspoke revealsrevealed tellstold forcesforced iswas reliesrelied
💡 C2 | Grammar point not about… but about…

La estructura not about… but about… sirve para corregir una idea limitada y destacar lo que realmente importa: A proper repair is not about putting a patch on the problem, but about restoring safety.

be not about + -ing / noun, but about + -ing / noun
A proper repair is not about hiding the problem, but about solving it. The job is not about guessing, but about diagnosing carefully. Good service is not about speed alone, but about safety.
Paralelismo: conviene mantener la misma estructura después de about: about putting… but about restoring….
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

Working at a Car Workshop

Vocabulary
  • even without words — aunque no use palabras
  • to reveal a strain — revelar una tensión
  • worn part — pieza desgastada
  • tell a story — contar una historia
  • fault — avería
  • look beyond the obvious — mirar más allá de lo evidente
  • proper repair — reparación bien hecha
  • put a patch on the problem — poner un parche al problema
  • restore safety — devolver la seguridad
  • rely on a vehicle — depender / confiar en un vehículo
  • daily life — vida diaria
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

restoring safety but about putting a patch on the problem is not about A proper repair
Reading comprehension
  1. What does the narrator mean by saying that a car speaks?
  2. What can worn parts reveal?
  3. Why should a mechanic look beyond the obvious?
  4. What is the deeper purpose of a proper repair?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Every worn part tells a story.
  • Look beyond the obvious.
  • A proper repair is about restoring safety.

Translate into English:

  • Un coche habla, aunque no use palabras.
  • Cada avería obliga a mirar más allá de lo evidente.
  • No consiste en poner un parche al problema.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.