My Day as a Nursing Assistant – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

young female nursing assistant helping an older resident in a care home
Vocabulary: nursing assistant · care home · bed · bedside table
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I work as a nursing assistant. I enter a room. I greet an elderly person. I bring them water and make the bed. Then I clean the small table. The person thanks me and smiles.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Trabajo como auxiliar de enfermería. Entro en una habitación. Saludo a una persona mayor. Le llevo agua y arreglo la cama. Después limpio la mesita. La persona me da las gracias y sonríe.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a nursing assistant. I entered a room. I greeted an elderly person. I brought them water and made the bed. Then I cleaned the small table. The person thanked me and smiled.
Main changes
workworked enterentered greetgreeted bringbrought makemade cleancleaned thanksthanked smilessmiled
💡 A1 | Grammar point bring + person + thing

En I bring them water, podemos colocar primero la persona que recibe algo y después la cosa que llevamos.

bring + persona + cosa
I bring them water. I bring the resident a glass of water. She brings me a clean towel.
Recuerda: también es posible decir I bring water to them, pero en este texto usamos la estructura con la persona primero.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

My Day as a Nursing Assistant

Vocabulary
  • nursing assistant — auxiliar de enfermería
  • room — habitación
  • elderly person — persona mayor
  • bring someone water — llevarle agua a alguien
  • make the bed — arreglar / hacer la cama
  • small table — mesita
  • clean — limpiar
  • thank someone — dar las gracias a alguien
  • smile — sonreír
  • enter a room — entrar en una habitación
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

bring them and make the bed I water
Reading comprehension
  1. What is my job?
  2. Who do I greet in the room?
  3. What do I bring the person?
  4. What does the person do at the end?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work as a nursing assistant.
  • I bring them water.
  • The person thanks me and smiles.

Translate into English:

  • Entro en una habitación.
  • Arreglo la cama.
  • Después limpio la mesita.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as a nursing assistant in a care home. Every morning, I help people get up, prepare the room, and check that they have what they need. I also talk to them for a moment. Sometimes, a kind word helps a lot.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como auxiliar de enfermería en una residencia. Cada mañana ayudo a las personas a levantarse, preparo la habitación y reviso que tengan lo necesario. También hablo con ellas un momento. A veces, una palabra amable ayuda mucho.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a nursing assistant in a care home. Every morning, I helped people get up, prepared the room, and checked that they had what they needed. I also talked to them for a moment. Sometimes, a kind word helped a lot.
Main changes
workworked helphelped get upget up prepareprepared checkchecked havehad needneeded talktalked helpshelped
💡 A2 | Grammar point help + person + base verb

Después de help, podemos usar una persona seguida de un verbo en forma base: I help people get up.

help + persona + verbo base
I help people get up. She helps residents sit down. We help them feel comfortable.
Nota: también es correcto help people to get up, pero en inglés americano es muy habitual omitir to.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

My Day as a Nursing Assistant

Vocabulary
  • care home — residencia
  • every morning — cada mañana
  • help people get up — ayudar a las personas a levantarse
  • prepare the room — preparar la habitación
  • check — revisar / comprobar
  • have what they need — tener lo que necesitan
  • talk to someone — hablar con alguien
  • for a moment — un momento
  • kind word — palabra amable
  • help a lot — ayudar mucho
  • resident — residente
  • basic care — cuidados básicos
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

I help people get up the room Every morning and prepare
Reading comprehension
  1. Where do I work?
  2. What do I help people do every morning?
  3. What do I check in the room?
  4. What can help a lot sometimes?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work in a care home.
  • I help people get up.
  • A kind word helps a lot.

Translate into English:

  • Preparo la habitación.
  • Reviso que tengan lo necesario.
  • También hablo con ellas un momento.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My day as a nursing assistant starts by checking the rooms and greeting the people I care for. Some need help moving; others just want company. I try to listen patiently and act with respect. Not all the work is visible, but every gesture matters. In this job, calmness makes a difference.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi día como auxiliar empieza revisando las habitaciones y saludando a las personas que cuido. Algunas necesitan ayuda para moverse; otras solo quieren compañía. Yo intento escuchar con paciencia y actuar con respeto. No todo el trabajo se ve, pero cada gesto cuenta. En este oficio, la calma marca la diferencia.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My day as a nursing assistant started by checking the rooms and greeting the people I cared for. Some needed help moving; others just wanted company. I tried to listen patiently and act with respect. Not all the work was visible, but every gesture mattered. In that job, calmness made a difference.
Main changes
startsstarted care forcared for needneeded wantwanted trytried iswas mattersmattered makesmade
💡 B1 | Grammar point start by + verb-ing

Utilizamos start by + -ing para indicar la primera acción de un proceso o rutina: My day starts by checking the rooms.

start by + verbo terminado en -ing
My day starts by checking the rooms. I start by greeting the residents. She starts by preparing the room.
Fíjate: después de by usamos la forma en -ing: by checking, no by check.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

My Day as a Nursing Assistant

Vocabulary
  • check the rooms — revisar las habitaciones
  • greet — saludar
  • care for someone — cuidar de alguien
  • need help moving — necesitar ayuda para moverse
  • company — compañía
  • listen patiently — escuchar con paciencia
  • act with respect — actuar con respeto
  • visible — visible
  • gesture — gesto
  • every gesture matters — cada gesto cuenta
  • calmness — calma
  • make a difference — marcar la diferencia
  • start by — empezar haciendo algo
  • not all the work — no todo el trabajo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

while others company Some need help moving just want
Reading comprehension
  1. How does my day as a nursing assistant begin?
  2. Why do some people need my help?
  3. What do some people want instead of physical help?
  4. What makes a difference in this job?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I care for the people in the rooms.
  • Every gesture matters.
  • Calmness makes a difference.

Translate into English:

  • Algunas personas necesitan ayuda para moverse.
  • Intento escuchar con paciencia.
  • No todo el trabajo se ve.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Working as a nursing assistant requires attention, sensitivity, and stamina. Today I help several people with basic tasks, prepare materials, and inform the healthcare staff when I notice any change. You have to keep track of many details without losing the human touch. Sometimes the pace is intense, but I try to stay calm and do things properly.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Trabajar como auxiliar de enfermería exige atención, sensibilidad y resistencia. Hoy acompaño a varias personas en tareas básicas, preparo material y aviso al personal sanitario cuando noto algún cambio. Hay que estar pendiente de muchos detalles sin perder el trato humano. A veces el ritmo es intenso, pero intento mantener la calma y hacer las cosas bien.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Working as a nursing assistant required attention, sensitivity, and stamina. That day I helped several people with basic tasks, prepared materials, and informed the healthcare staff when I noticed any change. You had to keep track of many details without losing the human touch. Sometimes the pace was intense, but I tried to stay calm and do things properly.
Main changes
requiresrequired todaythat day helphelped prepareprepared informinformed noticenoticed have to keep track ofhad to keep track of iswas trytried
💡 B2 | Grammar point without + verb-ing

Después de without, el verbo adopta la forma en -ing: without losing the human touch.

without + verbo terminado en -ing
I work carefully without losing the human touch. She helps without rushing the person. I listen without interrupting.
Importante: no usamos infinitivo después de without. Decimos without losing, no without to lose.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

My Day as a Nursing Assistant

Vocabulary
  • attention — atención
  • sensitivity — sensibilidad
  • stamina — resistencia
  • basic task — tarea básica
  • prepare materials — preparar material
  • healthcare staff — personal sanitario
  • notice a change — notar un cambio
  • keep track of — estar pendiente de
  • detail — detalle
  • human touch — trato humano
  • pace — ritmo
  • intense — intenso
  • stay calm — mantener la calma
  • do things properly — hacer las cosas bien
  • inform someone — avisar / informar a alguien
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

I try to stay calm properly Although the pace is intense and do things
Reading comprehension
  1. What does working as a nursing assistant require?
  2. When do I inform the healthcare staff?
  3. What must I keep track of without losing the human touch?
  4. How do I try to react when the pace is intense?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I prepare materials.
  • I inform the healthcare staff when I notice a change.
  • I try to stay calm.

Translate into English:

  • Hay que estar pendiente de muchos detalles.
  • El ritmo es intenso.
  • Intento hacer las cosas bien.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Over the years, I have learned that care is not only about completing tasks. It also means observing, supporting, and respecting each person’s dignity. Some days are difficult, but a calm look or a clear explanation can bring great comfort. In this job, professionalism is shown in small details, especially when no one sees them.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con los años, he aprendido que cuidar no consiste solo en realizar tareas. También implica observar, acompañar y respetar la dignidad de cada persona. Hay días difíciles, pero una mirada tranquila o una explicación clara pueden aliviar mucho. En este trabajo, la profesionalidad se demuestra en los detalles pequeños, especialmente cuando nadie los ve.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, I had learned that care was not only about completing tasks. It also meant observing, supporting, and respecting each person’s dignity. Some days were difficult, but a calm look or a clear explanation could bring great comfort. In that job, professionalism was shown in small details, especially when no one saw them.
Main changes
have learnedhad learned iswas meansmeant arewere can bringcould bring is shownwas shown seessaw
💡 C1 | Grammar point passive voice: be + past participle

En professionalism is shown in small details, usamos la voz pasiva porque nos interesa la profesionalidad y cómo se manifiesta, no quién realiza la acción.

be + participio pasado
Professionalism is shown in small details. Respect is shown through careful actions. The person is treated with dignity.
Idea clave: la voz pasiva desplaza la atención hacia la acción o su resultado. El agente puede omitirse cuando no es importante.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

My Day as a Nursing Assistant

Vocabulary
  • over the years — con los años
  • care — cuidado / cuidar
  • complete tasks — realizar tareas
  • observe — observar
  • support — acompañar / apoyar
  • respect dignity — respetar la dignidad
  • calm look — mirada tranquila
  • clear explanation — explicación clara
  • bring great comfort — aliviar mucho / aportar gran consuelo
  • professionalism — profesionalidad
  • be shown — demostrarse / mostrarse
  • small details — detalles pequeños
  • especially — especialmente
  • when no one sees — cuando nadie lo ve
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

is shown especially when no one sees them Professionalism in small details
Reading comprehension
  1. What does care involve besides completing tasks?
  2. Why can a calm look or a clear explanation matter?
  3. Where is professionalism shown?
  4. Why are unnoticed details important in this work?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Care is not only about completing tasks.
  • A clear explanation can bring great comfort.
  • Professionalism is shown in small details.

Translate into English:

  • También implica respetar la dignidad de cada persona.
  • Hay días difíciles.
  • Los detalles importan especialmente cuando nadie los ve.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
My work as a nursing assistant reminds me every day that vulnerability is part of life. Behind every practical act of help, there is trust, modesty, and a need to be treated with respect. Good care requires technique, but also presence and gentleness. Sometimes, holding a hand or listening in silence is worth as much as any visible task.
C2 | COMPETENTE
Mi trabajo como auxiliar de enfermería me recuerda cada día que la vulnerabilidad forma parte de la vida. Detrás de cada ayuda práctica hay confianza, pudor y una necesidad de ser tratado con respeto. Cuidar bien exige técnica, pero también presencia y delicadeza. A veces, sostener una mano o escuchar en silencio vale tanto como cualquier tarea visible.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My work as a nursing assistant reminded me every day that vulnerability was part of life. Behind every practical act of help, there was trust, modesty, and a need to be treated with respect. Good care required technique, but also presence and gentleness. Sometimes, holding a hand or listening in silence was worth as much as any visible task.
Main changes
remindsreminded iswas there isthere was requiresrequired is worthwas worth
💡 C2 | Grammar point as much as

Utilizamos as much as para establecer una comparación de igualdad en cantidad, valor o importancia. En el texto: is worth as much as any visible task.

as much as + sustantivo / comparación
Listening can matter as much as speaking. A quiet gesture can help as much as a long explanation. Holding a hand can be worth as much as any visible task.
Matiz: as much as no significa necesariamente que las dos cosas sean idénticas; indica que pueden tener un valor o importancia comparable.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

My Day as a Nursing Assistant

Vocabulary
  • vulnerability — vulnerabilidad
  • part of life — parte de la vida
  • behind every — detrás de cada
  • practical act of help — ayuda práctica / acto práctico de ayuda
  • trust — confianza
  • modesty — pudor
  • be treated with respect — ser tratado con respeto
  • good care — buenos cuidados / cuidar bien
  • technique — técnica
  • presence — presencia
  • gentleness — delicadeza
  • hold a hand — sostener una mano
  • listen in silence — escuchar en silencio
  • be worth as much as — valer tanto como
  • visible task — tarea visible
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

or listening in silence as much as a visible task Holding a hand can be worth
Reading comprehension
  1. What does this work remind me about vulnerability?
  2. What lies behind practical acts of help?
  3. What does good care require besides technique?
  4. Why can holding a hand or listening in silence matter?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Vulnerability is part of life.
  • Good care requires presence and gentleness.
  • Holding a hand can be worth as much as a visible task.

Translate into English:

  • Detrás de cada ayuda práctica hay confianza.
  • Existe una necesidad de ser tratado con respeto.
  • A veces, escuchar en silencio tiene un gran valor.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.