Cooking in a Restaurant Kitchen – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

cook working in a professional restaurant kitchen
Vocabulary: cook · apron · chef’s knife · whisk · prep counter
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I work as a cook in a restaurant kitchen. I put on my apron and wash the vegetables. I place some tomatoes on the cutting board and cut them with a chef’s knife. The head chef asks me for a sauce. I make it in a bowl with a whisk. Then I clean the prep counter. The kitchen is very busy.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Trabajo como cocinera en la cocina de un restaurante. Me pongo el delantal y lavo las verduras. Coloco unos tomates sobre la tabla de cortar y los corto con un cuchillo de chef. El jefe de cocina me pide una salsa. La preparo en un bol con unas varillas. Después limpio la encimera de trabajo. La cocina está muy ajetreada.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a cook in a restaurant kitchen. I put on my apron and washed the vegetables. I placed some tomatoes on the cutting board and cut them with a chef’s knife. The head chef asked me for a sauce. I made it in a bowl with a whisk. Then I cleaned the prep counter. The kitchen was very busy.
Main changes
workworked put onput on washwashed placeplaced cutcut asksasked makemade cleancleaned iswas
💡 A1 | Grammar point ask someone for something

Se utiliza ask someone for something para pedirle algo a una persona. En el texto: The head chef asks me for a sauce.

ask + persona + for + cosa
The head chef asks me for a sauce. I ask her for a clean bowl. They ask the cook for some salt.
Atención: no debe confundirse con ask someone to do something: The head chef asks me to prepare a sauce.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

Cooking in a Restaurant Kitchen

Vocabulary
  • cook — cocinera
  • restaurant kitchen — cocina de restaurante
  • apron — delantal
  • cutting board — tabla de cortar
  • chef’s knife — cuchillo de chef
  • head chef — jefe de cocina
  • sauce — salsa
  • bowl — bol
  • whisk — varillas
  • prep counter — encimera de trabajo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

a chef’s knife with cut the tomatoes I
Reading comprehension
  1. What does the cook put on before working?
  2. What vegetables does she cut?
  3. What does the head chef ask her to make?
  4. How is the kitchen?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I wash the vegetables.
  • The head chef asks me for a sauce.
  • The kitchen is very busy.

Translate into English:

  • Me pongo el delantal.
  • Corto los tomates con un cuchillo de chef.
  • Limpio la encimera de trabajo.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as a cook in a restaurant. Every day, I prepare ingredients, chop vegetables, measure portions, and help plate the dishes. Before service, I check my station and make sure the knives, cutting boards, and containers are ready. When the order tickets come in, I work quickly and follow the head chef’s instructions.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como cocinera en un restaurante. Cada día preparo ingredientes, corto verduras, mido las cantidades y ayudo a emplatar. Antes del servicio, reviso mi puesto y compruebo que los cuchillos, las tablas de cortar y los recipientes estén listos. Cuando llegan las comandas, trabajo deprisa y sigo las instrucciones del jefe de cocina.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a cook in a restaurant. Every day, I prepared ingredients, chopped vegetables, measured portions, and helped plate the dishes. Before service, I checked my station and made sure the knives, cutting boards, and containers were ready. When the order tickets came in, I worked quickly and followed the head chef’s instructions.
Main changes
workworked prepareprepared chopchopped measuremeasured helphelped checkchecked make suremade sure arewere come incame in followfollowed
💡 A2 | Grammar point help + base verb

Después de help, podemos emplear el verbo con o sin to. En inglés americano es muy habitual omitirlo: I help plate the dishes.

help + verbo base
I help plate the dishes. I help prepare the ingredients. She helps clean the kitchen.
También es correcto: help to plate, aunque en este contexto resulta menos habitual en inglés americano.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

Cooking in a Restaurant Kitchen

Vocabulary
  • ingredient — ingrediente
  • to chop — cortar o picar
  • to measure — medir
  • portion — cantidad / porción
  • to plate — emplatar
  • station — puesto de trabajo
  • container — recipiente
  • kitchen service — servicio de cocina
  • order ticket — comanda
  • to come in — llegar / entrar
  • to follow instructions — seguir instrucciones
  • to be ready — estar listo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

everything is ready and make sure I check my station Before service
Reading comprehension
  1. Name two things the cook does every day.
  2. What does she measure?
  3. What does she check before service?
  4. Whose instructions does she follow?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I prepare ingredients and chop vegetables.
  • I check my station before service.
  • I follow the head chef’s instructions.

Translate into English:

  • Mido las cantidades.
  • Ayudo a emplatar.
  • Las comandas llegan.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My day in the kitchen begins when I prepare the mise en place. I wash the fresh produce, prepare the sauces, and organize the tongs, ladles, and spatulas at my station. When the dining room fills up, order tickets come in back-to-back, and I place them on the ticket rail. I move quickly without losing focus. If I run out of an ingredient, I adapt on the fly and look for a solution. In a kitchen, teamwork makes all the difference.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi día en la cocina empieza cuando preparo la mise en place. Lavo los productos frescos, preparo las salsas y organizo las pinzas, los cucharones y las espátulas en mi puesto. Cuando el comedor se llena, las comandas llegan una detrás de otra y las coloco en el soporte. Me muevo con rapidez sin perder la concentración. Si se me acaba un ingrediente, me adapto sobre la marcha y busco una solución. En cocina, trabajar en equipo marca una gran diferencia.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My day in the kitchen began when I prepared the mise en place. I washed the fresh produce, prepared the sauces, and organized the tongs, ladles, and spatulas at my station. When the dining room filled up, order tickets came in back-to-back, and I placed them on the ticket rail. I moved quickly without losing focus. If I ran out of an ingredient, I adapted on the fly and looked for a solution. In the kitchen, teamwork made all the difference.
Main changes
beginsbegan prepareprepared washwashed organizeorganized fills upfilled up come incame in placeplaced movemoved run out ofran out of adaptadapted looklooked makesmade
💡 B1 | Grammar point zero conditional: if + present, present

El condicional cero se emplea para describir rutinas, procedimientos o resultados que se producen habitualmente. En el texto: If I run out of an ingredient, I adapt on the fly and look for a solution.

if + presente simple, presente simple
If I run out of an ingredient, I look for a solution. If an order comes in, I place it on the ticket rail. If the kitchen gets busy, I move more quickly.
Idea clave: aquí no hablamos de una posibilidad futura aislada, sino de cómo actúo normalmente en esas situaciones.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

Cooking in a Restaurant Kitchen

Vocabulary
  • mise en place — preparación y organización previa
  • fresh produce — productos frescos
  • tongs — pinzas
  • ladle — cucharón
  • spatula — espátula
  • dining room — comedor
  • to fill up — llenarse
  • back-to-back — uno detrás de otro / sin pausa
  • ticket rail — soporte para comandas
  • to lose focus — perder la concentración
  • to run out of — quedarse sin / acabarse
  • on the fly — sobre la marcha
  • teamwork — trabajo en equipo
  • to make all the difference — marcar una gran diferencia
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

and look for a solution on the fly I adapt If I run out of an ingredient
Reading comprehension
  1. What three utensils does the cook organize at her station?
  2. What happens to the order tickets when the dining room fills up?
  3. How does she work without losing focus?
  4. What does she do when an ingredient runs out?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Order tickets come in back-to-back.
  • I move quickly without losing focus.
  • Teamwork makes all the difference.

Translate into English:

  • Preparo la mise en place.
  • Coloco las comandas en el soporte.
  • Me adapto sobre la marcha.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Working as a cook in a restaurant requires coordination, memory, and stamina. Today, the lunch rush is in full swing: several tables order at the same time, and we are racing against the clock. I prepare the side dishes, handle the pans with tongs, and monitor the cooking times with a digital timer. I also use a food thermometer to check the temperature of the food. Although the pressure builds, I keep a cool head and make sure every plate reaches the service window hot. One small lapse can throw the entire kitchen off rhythm.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Trabajar como cocinera en un restaurante exige coordinación, memoria y resistencia. Hoy el servicio de mediodía está en pleno apogeo: varias mesas piden a la vez y trabajamos a contrarreloj. Preparo las guarniciones, manejo las sartenes con las pinzas y controlo los tiempos con un temporizador digital. También utilizo un termómetro de cocina para comprobar la temperatura de los alimentos. Aunque aumenta la presión, mantengo la cabeza fría y me aseguro de que cada plato llegue caliente a la ventanilla de servicio. Un pequeño despiste puede alterar el ritmo de toda la cocina.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Working as a cook in a restaurant required coordination, memory, and stamina. That day, the lunch rush was in full swing: several tables ordered at the same time, and we were racing against the clock. I prepared the side dishes, handled the pans with tongs, and monitored the cooking times with a digital timer. I also used a food thermometer to check the temperature of the food. Although the pressure built, I kept a cool head and made sure every plate reached the service window hot. One small lapse could throw the entire kitchen off rhythm.
Main changes
requiresrequired todaythat day iswas orderordered are racingwere racing prepareprepared handlehandled monitormonitored useused buildsbuilt keepkept make suremade sure reachesreached can throwcould throw
💡 B2 | Grammar point although + clause

Although introduce un contraste y va seguido de sujeto y verbo. En el texto: Although the pressure builds, I keep a cool head.

although + sujeto + verbo
Although the pressure builds, I keep a cool head. Although we are busy, I check every plate. Although the kitchen is hot, I stay focused.
Atención: no se combina con but en la misma estructura. Decimos Although the pressure builds, I stay calm o The pressure builds, but I stay calm.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

Cooking in a Restaurant Kitchen

Vocabulary
  • coordination — coordinación
  • stamina — resistencia
  • lunch rush — hora punta del almuerzo
  • in full swing — en pleno apogeo
  • to race against the clock — trabajar a contrarreloj
  • side dish — guarnición
  • pan — sartén
  • cooking time — tiempo de cocción
  • digital timer — temporizador digital
  • food thermometer — termómetro de cocina
  • the pressure builds — aumenta la presión
  • to keep a cool head — mantener la cabeza fría
  • service window — ventanilla de servicio
  • lapse — despiste
  • to throw something off rhythm — alterar el ritmo de algo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

the cooking times and monitor I keep a cool head Although the pressure builds
Reading comprehension
  1. What three qualities does restaurant cooking require according to the text?
  2. Why are the cooks racing against the clock?
  3. What two devices does the cook use to control cooking?
  4. Why is a small lapse important?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • The lunch rush is in full swing.
  • We are racing against the clock.
  • I keep a cool head.

Translate into English:

  • Controlo los tiempos de cocción con un temporizador digital.
  • Utilizo un termómetro de cocina.
  • Un pequeño despiste puede alterar el ritmo de toda la cocina.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Over the years, I have learned that a professional kitchen runs on an almost invisible discipline. At my station, I respect the timing, respond clearly to call-outs, and trust my coworkers to do their part. I cannot improvise carelessly or overlook a ticket from the order printer. When a problem comes up, I solve it on the fly without breaking the rhythm of service. To achieve that, I need to combine speed, precision, and the ability to think on my feet.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con los años, he aprendido que una cocina profesional funciona gracias a una disciplina casi invisible. En mi puesto, respeto los tiempos, respondo con claridad a las indicaciones y confío en que mis compañeros hagan su parte. No puedo improvisar sin criterio ni ignorar una comanda del impresor. Cuando surge un problema, lo resuelvo sobre la marcha sin romper el ritmo del servicio. Para conseguirlo, necesito combinar rapidez, precisión y capacidad de reacción.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, I had learned that a professional kitchen ran on an almost invisible discipline. At my station, I respected the timing, responded clearly to call-outs, and trusted my coworkers to do their part. I could not improvise carelessly or overlook a ticket from the order printer. When a problem came up, I solved it on the fly without breaking the rhythm of service. To achieve that, I needed to combine speed, precision, and the ability to think on my feet.
Main changes
have learnedhad learned runs onran on respectrespected respondresponded trusttrusted cannotcould not comes upcame up solvesolved needneeded
💡 C1 | Grammar point without + verb-ing

Después de una preposición como without, el verbo adopta la forma en -ing. En el texto: I solve it on the fly without breaking the rhythm of service.

without + gerundio
I solve the problem without breaking the rhythm. I move quickly without losing focus. I check the ticket without stopping my work.
Atención: no utilizamos el infinitivo después de without. Without to break sería incorrecto.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

Cooking in a Restaurant Kitchen

Vocabulary
  • professional kitchen — cocina profesional
  • to run on — funcionar gracias a / basarse en
  • discipline — disciplina
  • timing — coordinación de los tiempos
  • call-out — indicación verbal en la cocina
  • coworker — compañero de trabajo
  • to do one’s part — hacer la parte que corresponde
  • to improvise carelessly — improvisar sin criterio
  • to overlook — ignorar / pasar por alto
  • order printer — impresor de comandas
  • to think on one’s feet — reaccionar y pensar con rapidez
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

the rhythm of service without breaking on the fly I solve the problem
Reading comprehension
  1. What does a professional kitchen run on?
  2. How does the cook respond to call-outs?
  3. What does she do when a problem comes up?
  4. What qualities does she need to combine?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • A professional kitchen runs on an almost invisible discipline.
  • I trust my coworkers to do their part.
  • I solve it on the fly without breaking the rhythm of service.

Translate into English:

  • Respondo con claridad a las indicaciones.
  • No puedo ignorar una comanda del impresor.
  • Necesito capacidad de reacción.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENT
My work as a cook has taught me that every dish I send out is the result of a chain of precise decisions. Behind a simple presentation are uniform knife cuts, controlled temperatures, carefully calculated timing, and movements repeated until they approach precision. When I cook under pressure, I rely on composure, humility, and respect for the ingredients. I do not take shortcuts: I try to make every element on the plate serve a purpose. When everything comes together and the dish turns out well, the effort speaks for itself.
C2 | COMPETENTE
Mi oficio como cocinera me ha enseñado que cada plato que envío al comedor es el resultado de una cadena de decisiones precisas. Detrás de una presentación sencilla hay cortes uniformes, temperaturas controladas, tiempos calculados y gestos repetidos hasta rozar la exactitud. Cuando cocino bajo presión, recurro al temple, la humildad y el respeto por el producto. No busco atajos: intento que cada elemento del plato cumpla una función. Cuando todo encaja y el plato sale bien, el esfuerzo habla por sí solo.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, my work as a cook had taught me that every dish I sent out was the result of a chain of precise decisions. Behind a simple presentation were uniform knife cuts, controlled temperatures, carefully calculated timing, and movements repeated until they approached precision. When I cooked under pressure, I relied on composure, humility, and respect for the ingredients. I did not take shortcuts: I tried to make every element on the plate serve a purpose. When everything came together and the dish turned out well, the effort spoke for itself.
Main changes
has taughthad taught send outsent out iswas arewere approachapproached cookcooked rely onrelied on do not takedid not take trytried comes togethercame together turns outturned out speaksspoke
💡 C2 | Grammar point make + object + base verb

Esta construcción expresa que hacemos que alguien o algo realice una acción o cumpla una función. En el texto: I make every element on the plate serve a purpose.

make + objeto + verbo base
I make every element serve a purpose. The heat makes the sauce thicken. Good organization makes the kitchen run smoothly.
Importante: en voz activa no utilizamos to después de make. Decimos make every element serve, no make every element to serve.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

Cooking in a Restaurant Kitchen

Vocabulary
  • to send out — enviar al comedor
  • chain of decisions — cadena de decisiones
  • uniform knife cuts — cortes uniformes
  • controlled temperature — temperatura controlada
  • carefully calculated timing — tiempos calculados cuidadosamente
  • to cook under pressure — cocinar bajo presión
  • to rely on — recurrir a / confiar en
  • composure — temple
  • to take shortcuts — buscar atajos
  • to serve a purpose — cumplir una función
  • to come together — encajar / combinarse satisfactoriamente
  • to turn out well — salir bien
  • to speak for itself — hablar por sí solo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

a purpose serve every element on the plate I make
Reading comprehension
  1. What is every dish the result of?
  2. What details lie behind a simple presentation?
  3. What does the cook rely on under pressure?
  4. What happens when everything comes together and the dish turns out well?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Every dish I send out is the result of a chain of precise decisions.
  • I do not take shortcuts.
  • The effort speaks for itself.

Translate into English:

  • Cocino bajo presión.
  • Intento que cada elemento del plato cumpla una función.
  • Cuando todo encaja, el plato sale bien.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.