Driving a Taxi – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

female taxi driver checking the dashboard before driving through a busy city
Vocabulary: taxi driver · taxi meter · dashboard · rearview mirror
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I am a taxi driver. I drive around the city. A passenger gets into my taxi and gives me an address. I enter it into the GPS, start the taxi meter, and drive carefully. When we arrive at the destination, the passenger pays by card and gets out of the taxi.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Soy conductora de taxi. Conduzco por la ciudad. Un pasajero sube a mi taxi y me da una dirección. La introduzco en el GPS, pongo en marcha el taxímetro y conduzco con cuidado. Cuando llegamos al destino, el pasajero paga con tarjeta y se baja del taxi.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I was a taxi driver. I drove around the city. A passenger got into my taxi and gave me an address. I entered it into the GPS, started the taxi meter, and drove carefully. When we arrived at the destination, the passenger paid by card and got out of the taxi.
Main changes
amwas drivedrove gets intogot into givesgave enterentered startstarted arrivearrived payspaid gets out ofgot out of
💡 A1 | Grammar point get into / get out of

En A passenger gets into my taxi y The passenger gets out of the taxi, usamos expresiones propias de vehículos pequeños y cerrados.

get into + coche o taxi
get out of + coche o taxi
The passenger gets into my taxi. We get out of the car. She gets into the taxi at the station.
Comparación: con autobuses, trenes y aviones normalmente usamos get on y get off. No decimos get out the taxi; necesitamos of.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

Driving a Taxi

Vocabulary
  • taxi driver — conductora de taxi
  • drive around the city — conducir por la ciudad
  • a passenger gets into my taxi — un pasajero sube a mi taxi
  • give me an address — darme una dirección
  • enter the address into the GPS — introducir la dirección en el GPS
  • start the taxi meter — poner en marcha el taxímetro
  • drive carefully — conducir con cuidado
  • arrive at the destination — llegar al destino
  • pay by card — pagar con tarjeta
  • get out of the taxi — bajarse del taxi
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

GPS address I the into enter the
Reading comprehension
  1. What is my job?
  2. What does the passenger give me?
  3. Which two devices do I use before driving?
  4. What happens when we reach the destination?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I am a taxi driver.
  • I start the taxi meter.
  • The passenger pays by card.

Translate into English:

  • Conduzco por la ciudad.
  • Introduzco la dirección en el GPS.
  • Llegamos al destino.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as a taxi driver in a busy city. Before my first ride, I adjust the seat and mirrors, fasten my seat belt, and place my phone in the dashboard mount. Every day, I take passengers to train stations, offices, and hotels. Sometimes they are in a hurry, but I stay calm. I check the traffic on the navigation app and choose the best route.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como conductora de taxi en una ciudad con mucho tráfico. Antes del primer trayecto, ajusto el asiento y los retrovisores, me abrocho el cinturón y coloco el teléfono en el soporte del salpicadero. Cada día llevo pasajeros a estaciones de tren, oficinas y hoteles. A veces tienen prisa, pero yo mantengo la calma. Consulto el tráfico en la aplicación de navegación y elijo la mejor ruta.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a taxi driver in a busy city. Before my first ride, I adjusted the seat and mirrors, fastened my seat belt, and placed my phone in the dashboard mount. Every day, I took passengers to train stations, offices, and hotels. Sometimes they were in a hurry, but I stayed calm. I checked the traffic on the navigation app and chose the best route.
Main changes
workworked adjustadjusted fastenfastened placeplaced taketook arewere staystayed checkchecked choosechose
💡 A2 | Grammar point take someone to a place

En I take passengers to train stations, offices, and hotels, usamos take cuando acompañamos o transportamos a una persona hasta otro lugar.

take + persona + to + lugar
I take passengers to the airport. She takes a customer to a hotel. This route takes us to the train station.
Importante: no colocamos to delante de la persona. Con home no usamos to: I take the passenger home.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

Driving a Taxi

Vocabulary
  • busy city — ciudad con mucho tráfico
  • before my first ride — antes del primer trayecto
  • adjust the seat and mirrors — ajustar el asiento y los retrovisores
  • fasten my seat belt — abrocharme el cinturón
  • dashboard mount — soporte del salpicadero
  • take passengers to — llevar pasajeros a
  • train stations — estaciones de tren
  • be in a hurry — tener prisa
  • stay calm — mantener la calma
  • check the traffic — consultar el tráfico
  • navigation app — aplicación de navegación
  • choose the best route — elegir la mejor ruta
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

dashboard phone I mount the my in place
Reading comprehension
  1. What do I do before my first ride?
  2. Where do I take passengers?
  3. How do I react when passengers are in a hurry?
  4. How do I choose the best route?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I adjust the seat and mirrors.
  • I fasten my seat belt.
  • I choose the best route.

Translate into English:

  • Trabajo como conductora de taxi.
  • Coloco el teléfono en el soporte del salpicadero.
  • Consulto el tráfico en la aplicación de navegación.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My day as a taxi driver begins when I inspect the car. I check the fuel gauge, tires, headlights, windshield wipers, and taxi meter. I also make sure the card reader and receipt printer are working. Then I log in to the dispatch app and hit the road. Some passengers chat a lot; others prefer to ride in silence. I pick up on their cues and adapt the way I interact with them. Listening carefully helps me make each ride go smoothly.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi jornada como conductora de taxi empieza cuando reviso el coche. Compruebo el indicador de combustible, los neumáticos, los faros, los limpiaparabrisas y el taxímetro. También me aseguro de que el lector de tarjetas y la impresora de recibos funcionen. Después inicio sesión en la aplicación de asignación de servicios y me pongo en marcha. Algunos pasajeros conversan mucho; otros prefieren viajar en silencio. Me fijo en sus señales y adapto mi forma de atenderlos. Escuchar con atención me ayuda a conseguir que cada trayecto transcurra sin problemas.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My day as a taxi driver began when I inspected the car. I checked the fuel gauge, tires, headlights, windshield wipers, and taxi meter. I also made sure the card reader and receipt printer were working. Then I logged in to the dispatch app and hit the road. Some passengers chatted a lot; others preferred to ride in silence. I picked up on their cues and adapted the way I interacted with them. Listening carefully helped me make each ride go smoothly.
Main changes
beginsbegan inspectinspected checkchecked make suremade sure are workingwere working log in tologged in to hit the roadhit the road chatchatted preferpreferred pick up onpicked up on adaptadapted interactinteracted helpshelped
💡 B1 | Grammar point pick up on + noun

En I pick up on their cues, el phrasal verb pick up on significa percibir, advertir o captar algo que no siempre se expresa directamente.

pick up on + señal, detalle, sentimiento o idea
I pick up on a passenger’s tone. She picks up on small changes in body language. I quickly pick up on their discomfort.
Comparación: pick up a passenger significa recogerlo; pick up on a cue significa captar o percibir una señal.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

Driving a Taxi

Vocabulary
  • inspect the car — revisar el coche
  • fuel gauge — indicador de combustible
  • tires — neumáticos
  • headlights — faros
  • windshield wipers — limpiaparabrisas
  • taxi meter — taxímetro
  • make sure — asegurarse
  • card reader — lector de tarjetas
  • receipt printer — impresora de recibos
  • log in to the dispatch app — iniciar sesión en la aplicación de asignación de servicios
  • hit the road — ponerse en marcha
  • chat a lot — conversar mucho
  • ride in silence — viajar en silencio
  • pick up on their cues — captar sus señales
  • adapt the way I interact — adaptar mi forma de relacionarme
  • make each ride go smoothly — conseguir que cada trayecto transcurra sin problemas
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

cues up I their on pick
Reading comprehension
  1. Which parts of the car do I inspect?
  2. Which two payment devices do I check?
  3. What do I do before hitting the road?
  4. How do I adapt to different passengers?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I inspect the car.
  • I log in to the dispatch app.
  • I pick up on their cues.

Translate into English:

  • Compruebo el indicador de combustible.
  • Algunos pasajeros prefieren viajar en silencio.
  • Cada trayecto transcurre sin problemas.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
As a taxi driver, I have to stay alert at all times. I know the routes, anticipate lane changes, watch my blind spots, and react quickly when traffic backs up. Today I am taking a passenger to the airport, and we are racing against the clock. I check real-time traffic updates, but I refuse to cut corners when it comes to safety: I maintain a safe following distance and do not exceed the speed limit. My goal is to get my passenger there on time without putting anyone at risk.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Como conductora de taxi, tengo que mantenerme alerta en todo momento. Conozco las rutas, anticipo los cambios de carril, vigilo los ángulos muertos y reacciono con rapidez cuando el tráfico se atasca. Hoy llevo a un pasajero al aeropuerto y vamos contrarreloj. Consulto la información del tráfico en tiempo real, pero no estoy dispuesta a descuidar la seguridad por ganar tiempo: mantengo una distancia segura y no supero el límite de velocidad. Mi objetivo es llevar al pasajero a tiempo sin poner a nadie en riesgo.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

As a taxi driver, I had to stay alert at all times. I knew the routes, anticipated lane changes, watched my blind spots, and reacted quickly when traffic backed up. That day, I was taking a passenger to the airport, and we were racing against the clock. I checked real-time traffic updates, but I refused to cut corners when it came to safety: I maintained a safe following distance and did not exceed the speed limit. My goal was to get my passenger there on time without putting anyone at risk.
Main changes
have to stayhad to stay knowknew anticipateanticipated watchwatched reactreacted backs upbacked up am takingwas taking are racingwere racing checkchecked refuserefused comes tocame to maintainmaintained do not exceeddid not exceed iswas
💡 B2 | Grammar point when it comes to

En I refuse to cut corners when it comes to safety, la expresión when it comes to introduce el tema concreto sobre el que hablamos.

when it comes to + sustantivo o verbo terminado en -ing
I never take risks when it comes to safety. When it comes to driving in heavy traffic, I stay alert. She is very careful when it comes to choosing a route.
Significado: equivale a “cuando se trata de” o “en lo que respecta a”. Después de to usamos un sustantivo o una forma en -ing, no un infinitivo.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

Driving a Taxi

Vocabulary
  • stay alert at all times — mantenerse alerta en todo momento
  • anticipate lane changes — anticipar los cambios de carril
  • watch my blind spots — vigilar los ángulos muertos
  • react quickly — reaccionar con rapidez
  • traffic backs up — el tráfico se atasca
  • take a passenger to the airport — llevar a un pasajero al aeropuerto
  • race against the clock — ir contrarreloj
  • real-time traffic updates — información del tráfico en tiempo real
  • refuse to cut corners — negarse a tomar atajos
  • when it comes to safety — cuando se trata de seguridad
  • safe following distance — distancia de seguridad
  • exceed the speed limit — superar el límite de velocidad
  • get someone there on time — llevar a alguien a tiempo
  • put someone at risk — poner a alguien en riesgo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

safety corners comes I when to cut it refuse to
Reading comprehension
  1. Which aspects of the road do I monitor?
  2. Why are the passenger and I racing against the clock?
  3. Which safety rules do I continue to follow?
  4. What balance must I maintain between punctuality and safety?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I watch my blind spots.
  • Traffic backs up.
  • I refuse to cut corners when it comes to safety.

Translate into English:

  • Vamos contrarreloj.
  • Mantengo una distancia de seguridad.
  • No supero el límite de velocidad.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Over the years, as a driver, I have learned that a taxi is much more than a means of transportation. It is also a shared space for a short period of time. In just a few minutes, a passenger may tell me about a concern, ask me for advice, or prefer complete silence. I pay attention to their tone and body language without intruding. My job is to drive well, read the situation, respect boundaries, and provide a safe and comfortable ride. Sometimes, the best service I can offer is knowing when to speak and when to let silence do its work.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con los años, como conductora he aprendido que un taxi es mucho más que un medio de transporte. También es un espacio compartido durante un breve periodo. En pocos minutos, un pasajero puede contarme una preocupación, pedirme consejo o preferir el silencio absoluto. Presto atención a su tono y a su lenguaje corporal sin entrometerme. Mi trabajo consiste en conducir bien, interpretar la situación, respetar los límites y ofrecer un trayecto seguro y cómodo. A veces, el mejor servicio que puedo prestar es saber cuándo hablar y cuándo dejar que el silencio cumpla su función.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, as a driver, I had learned that a taxi was much more than a means of transportation. It was also a shared space for a short period of time. In just a few minutes, a passenger might tell me about a concern, ask me for advice, or prefer complete silence. I paid attention to their tone and body language without intruding. My job was to drive well, read the situation, respect boundaries, and provide a safe and comfortable ride. Sometimes, the best service I could offer was knowing when to speak and when to let silence do its work.
Main changes
have learnedhad learned iswas maymight pay attentionpaid attention my job ismy job was can offercould offer
💡 C1 | Grammar point wh-word + to-infinitive

En knowing when to speak and when to let silence do its work, una palabra interrogativa seguida de to expresa qué, cómo o cuándo debemos realizar una acción.

verbo + palabra interrogativa + to + verbo base
I know when to speak. I decide which route to take. Experience teaches me how to respond.
Importante: no usamos el orden de una pregunta directa. Decimos I know when to speak, no I know when do I speak.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

Driving a Taxi

Vocabulary
  • over the years — con los años
  • much more than — mucho más que
  • means of transportation — medio de transporte
  • shared space — espacio compartido
  • for a short period of time — durante un breve periodo
  • tell me about a concern — contarme una preocupación
  • ask me for advice — pedirme consejo
  • prefer complete silence — preferir el silencio absoluto
  • pay attention to — prestar atención a
  • tone and body language — tono y lenguaje corporal
  • without intruding — sin entrometerse
  • read the situation — interpretar la situación
  • respect boundaries — respetar los límites
  • safe and comfortable ride — trayecto seguro y cómodo
  • know when to speak — saber cuándo hablar
  • let silence do its work — dejar que el silencio cumpla su función
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

work silence know its I to do when let
Reading comprehension
  1. Why is a taxi more than a means of transportation?
  2. Which choices does a passenger have during the ride?
  3. How do I understand what kind of interaction a passenger prefers?
  4. When can silence become part of good service?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I respect their boundaries.
  • I provide a safe and comfortable ride.
  • I know when to let silence do its work.

Translate into English:

  • Un taxi también es un espacio compartido.
  • Presto atención a su lenguaje corporal.
  • Presto atención sin entrometerme.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENCY
My work as a driver allows me to observe the city from within its daily movement. Each ride reveals a different side of it: people rushing somewhere, tourists studying a map, night workers heading home, and passengers lost in thought. Driving professionally is not simply a matter of moving a vehicle from one point to another. I balance efficiency with restraint, conversation with discretion, and my knowledge of the streets with constant vigilance. The dashboard instruments, dispatch screen, and rearview mirror give me practical information, but my judgment tells me how to respond. Every passenger brings part of their life into my taxi, and for a few miles, our paths cross before the city carries us in different directions again.
C2 | MAESTRÍA
Mi oficio como conductora me permite observar la ciudad desde dentro de su movimiento cotidiano. Cada trayecto revela una faceta diferente: personas que van con prisa, turistas que estudian un mapa, trabajadores nocturnos que regresan a casa y pasajeros sumidos en sus pensamientos. Conducir profesionalmente no consiste solo en trasladar un vehículo de un punto a otro. Equilibro la eficacia con la prudencia, la conversación con la discreción y mi conocimiento de las calles con una vigilancia constante. Los instrumentos del salpicadero, la pantalla de asignación de servicios y el espejo retrovisor me proporcionan información práctica, pero mi criterio me indica cómo responder. Cada pasajero trae una parte de su vida a mi taxi y, durante unos kilómetros, nuestros caminos se cruzan antes de que la ciudad vuelva a llevarnos en direcciones distintas.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, my work as a driver had allowed me to observe the city from within its daily movement. Each ride had revealed a different side of it: people rushing somewhere, tourists studying a map, night workers heading home, and passengers lost in thought. Driving professionally was not simply a matter of moving a vehicle from one point to another. I balanced efficiency with restraint, conversation with discretion, and my knowledge of the streets with constant vigilance. The dashboard instruments, dispatch screen, and rearview mirror gave me practical information, but my judgment told me how to respond. Every passenger brought part of their life into my taxi, and for a few miles, our paths crossed before the city carried us in different directions again.
Main changes
allowshad allowed revealshad revealed is notwas not balancebalanced givegave tellstold bringsbrought crosscrossed carriescarried
💡 C2 | Grammar point parallel paired structure

En I balance efficiency with restraint, conversation with discretion, and my knowledge of the streets with constant vigilance, organizamos tres pares con la misma estructura.

sujeto + verbo + A with B, C with D, and E with F
I balance speed with safety, conversation with discretion, and confidence with caution. The job combines local knowledge with constant awareness. I pair efficient decisions with careful driving.
Paralelismo: cada par debe conservar la misma relación gramatical. La estructura repetida hace que una oración larga sea más clara y equilibrada.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

Driving a Taxi

Vocabulary
  • from within its daily movement — desde dentro de su movimiento cotidiano
  • each ride reveals — cada trayecto revela
  • people rushing somewhere — personas que van con prisa
  • tourists studying a map — turistas que estudian un mapa
  • night workers heading home — trabajadores nocturnos que regresan a casa
  • lost in thought — sumido en sus pensamientos
  • not simply a matter of — no consistir simplemente en
  • from one point to another — de un punto a otro
  • balance efficiency with restraint — equilibrar la eficacia con la prudencia
  • conversation with discretion — la conversación con la discreción
  • knowledge of the streets — conocimiento de las calles
  • constant vigilance — vigilancia constante
  • dashboard instruments — instrumentos del salpicadero
  • dispatch screen — pantalla de asignación de servicios
  • rearview mirror — espejo retrovisor
  • sound judgment — buen criterio
  • bring part of their life — traer una parte de su vida
  • our paths cross — nuestros caminos se cruzan
  • carry us in different directions — llevarnos en direcciones distintas
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

paths few cross For miles our a
Reading comprehension
  1. Which different sides of the city do I observe?
  2. What does professional driving require me to balance?
  3. What information comes from the equipment, and what comes from my judgment?
  4. What does the crossing of our paths represent?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I balance efficiency with restraint.
  • My judgment tells me how to respond.
  • For a few miles, our paths cross.

Translate into English:

  • Cada trayecto revela una faceta diferente.
  • Los pasajeros están sumidos en sus pensamientos.
  • La ciudad vuelve a llevarnos en direcciones distintas.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.