Delivering Packages – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)

female delivery driver organizing packages beside a delivery van
Vocabulary: delivery driver · handheld scanner · hand truck · cargo straps
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I am a delivery driver. In the morning, I load packages into my van and check the addresses on my phone. I drive around the city. I ring a doorbell, and a customer opens the door. I hand her the package. She signs for it on my handheld scanner and thanks me.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Soy repartidora. Por la mañana, cargo paquetes en la furgoneta y compruebo las direcciones en el teléfono. Conduzco por la ciudad. Llamo al timbre y una clienta abre la puerta. Le entrego el paquete. Firma en mi escáner portátil para confirmar la entrega y me da las gracias.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I was a delivery driver. In the morning, I loaded packages into my van and checked the addresses on my phone. I drove around the city. I rang a doorbell, and a customer opened the door. I handed her the package. She signed for it on my handheld scanner and thanked me.
Main changes
amwas loadloaded checkchecked drivedrove ringrang opensopened handhanded signs forsigned for thanksthanked
💡 A1 | Grammar point sign for + something

En She signs for it on my handheld scanner, sign for significa firmar para confirmar que se ha recibido algo.

sign for + objeto
The customer signs for the package. She signs for it on my scanner. I sign for the delivery at the door.
Atención: sign significa firmar o poner la firma, mientras que sign for something significa firmar para confirmar su recepción. Decimos She signs the form, pero She signs for the package.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

Delivering Packages

Vocabulary
  • delivery driver — repartidora
  • package — paquete
  • van — furgoneta
  • address — dirección
  • doorbell — timbre
  • customer — cliente/a
  • handheld scanner — escáner portátil
  • load something into — cargar algo en
  • hand someone something — entregar algo a alguien
  • sign for a package — firmar para confirmar la recepción de un paquete
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

scanner for She handheld it signs my on
Reading comprehension
  1. What is my job?
  2. Where do I load the packages?
  3. What do I do before the customer opens the door?
  4. How does the customer confirm the delivery?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I load packages into my van.
  • I ring a doorbell.
  • She signs for the package on my handheld scanner.

Translate into English:

  • Soy repartidora.
  • Compruebo las direcciones en el teléfono.
  • Le entrego el paquete.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as a delivery driver. Every day, I take packages to homes, offices, and stores. First, I plan my route, scan the shipping labels, and arrange the packages in the van. I use a hand truck for heavy boxes. Then I drive from one address to the next and try to make every delivery on time.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como repartidora. Cada día llevo paquetes a casas, oficinas y tiendas. Primero planifico la ruta, escaneo las etiquetas de envío y coloco los paquetes en la furgoneta. Para las cajas pesadas, utilizo una carretilla de mano. Después conduzco de una dirección a la siguiente e intento realizar todas las entregas a tiempo.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a delivery driver. Every day, I took packages to homes, offices, and stores. First, I planned my route, scanned the shipping labels, and arranged the packages in the van. I used a hand truck for heavy boxes. Then I drove from one address to the next and tried to make every delivery on time.
Main changes
workworked taketook planplanned scanscanned arrangearranged useused drivedrove trytried
💡 A2 | Grammar point try to + infinitive

En I try to make every delivery on time, usamos try to para expresar que hacemos un esfuerzo por conseguir algo.

try to + verbo en forma base
I try to make every delivery on time. I try to choose the best route. We try to avoid heavy traffic.
Atención: después de to utilizamos la forma base del verbo: I try to arrive on time, no I try to arriving on time.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

Delivering Packages

Vocabulary
  • shipping label — etiqueta de envío
  • route — ruta
  • arrange — colocar u ordenar
  • hand truck — carretilla de mano
  • heavy box — caja pesada
  • home — domicilio o casa
  • office — oficina
  • store — tienda
  • from one address to the next — de una dirección a la siguiente
  • on time — a tiempo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

boxes hand I heavy truck a for use
Reading comprehension
  1. Which three types of places receive packages?
  2. What do I plan before starting my deliveries?
  3. Why do I use a hand truck?
  4. What is my goal for every delivery?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I scan the shipping labels.
  • I arrange the packages in the van.
  • I try to make every delivery on time.

Translate into English:

  • Trabajo como repartidora.
  • Utilizo una carretilla de mano para las cajas pesadas.
  • Conduzco de una dirección a la siguiente.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My day as a delivery driver begins at the warehouse. I scan the barcode on each package, sort the shipments by delivery zone, and load them in the right order. I use cargo straps to keep the boxes from shifting. Once I hit the road, the delivery app guides me from one stop to the next. Some recipients are home; others do not answer. If a problem comes up, such as a missing access code, I follow the instructions or leave a delivery notice. Staying organized helps me stay on track.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi jornada como repartidora empieza en el almacén. Escaneo el código de barras de cada paquete, ordeno los envíos por zonas de reparto y los cargo en el orden adecuado. Utilizo correas de sujeción para evitar que las cajas se desplacen. Una vez en ruta, la aplicación de reparto me guía de una parada a otra. Algunos destinatarios están en casa; otros no responden. Si surge un problema, como la falta de un código de acceso, sigo las instrucciones o dejo un aviso de entrega. Mantenerme organizada me ayuda a cumplir el horario.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My day as a delivery driver began at the warehouse. I scanned the barcode on each package, sorted the shipments by delivery zone, and loaded them in the right order. I used cargo straps to keep the boxes from shifting. Once I hit the road, the delivery app guided me from one stop to the next. Some recipients were home; others did not answer. If a problem came up, such as a missing access code, I followed the instructions or left a delivery notice. Staying organized helped me stay on track.
Main changes
beginsbegan scanscanned sortsorted loadloaded useused hit the roadhit the road guidesguided arewere do not answerdid not answer comes upcame up followfollowed leaveleft helpshelped
💡 B1 | Grammar point keep + object + from + -ing

En I use cargo straps to keep the boxes from shifting, esta estructura expresa que impedimos que una persona o una cosa realice una acción.

keep + objeto + from + verbo terminado en -ing
The straps keep the boxes from shifting. The packaging keeps the item from breaking. A clear label keeps me from delivering the package to the wrong address.
Atención: después de from utilizamos un verbo terminado en -ing: keep the boxes from moving, no keep the boxes from move.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

Delivering Packages

Vocabulary
  • warehouse — almacén
  • barcode — código de barras
  • shipment — envío
  • delivery zone — zona de reparto
  • cargo strap — correa de sujeción
  • shift — desplazarse
  • hit the road — ponerse en marcha
  • delivery app — aplicación de reparto
  • recipient — destinatario/a
  • access code — código de acceso
  • delivery notice — aviso de entrega
  • stay on track — cumplir lo previsto o mantener el ritmo establecido
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

track helps Staying on me organized stay
Reading comprehension
  1. How do I organize the shipments?
  2. Why do I use cargo straps?
  3. What guides me during my route?
  4. What can I do when a recipient does not answer?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I scan the barcode on each package.
  • The delivery app guides me from one stop to the next.
  • Staying organized helps me stay on track.

Translate into English:

  • Ordeno los envíos por zonas de reparto.
  • Utilizo correas de sujeción.
  • Dejo un aviso de entrega.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
As a delivery driver, I need speed, accuracy, and patience. Today I have a full delivery manifest and a demanding route. A road closure throws off my schedule, and finding legal loading zones slows me down. Even so, I keep a cool head and adjust my route using real-time traffic updates. At every stop, I verify the address, scan the package, and record proof of delivery. If I overlook a detail, I can cause a chain reaction of delays for the rest of the day.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Como repartidora, necesito rapidez, precisión y paciencia. Hoy tengo un manifiesto de reparto completo y una ruta exigente. Una calle cortada altera mi horario, y encontrar zonas de carga legales me hace perder tiempo. Aun así, mantengo la cabeza fría y ajusto la ruta mediante la información del tráfico en tiempo real. En cada parada, verifico la dirección, escaneo el paquete y registro la prueba de entrega. Si paso por alto un detalle, puedo provocar una cadena de retrasos durante el resto de la jornada.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

As a delivery driver, I needed speed, accuracy, and patience. That day, I had a full delivery manifest and a demanding route. A road closure threw off my schedule, and finding legal loading zones slowed me down. Even so, I kept a cool head and adjusted my route using real-time traffic updates. At every stop, I verified the address, scanned the package, and recorded proof of delivery. If I overlooked a detail, I could cause a chain reaction of delays for the rest of the day.
Main changes
needneeded havehad throws offthrew off slowsslowed keepkept adjustadjusted verifyverified scanscanned recordrecorded overlookoverlooked can causecould cause
💡 B2 | Grammar point If + present, can + infinitive

En If I overlook a detail, I can cause a chain reaction of delays, hablamos de una situación posible y de una de sus posibles consecuencias.

If + presente simple, sujeto + can + verbo en forma base
If I overlook a detail, I can cause a delay. If the road is closed, I can change my route. I can contact the customer if I cannot find the address.
Atención: no utilizamos will después de if en esta estructura. Decimos If the road is closed, I can take another route, no If the road will be closed.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

Delivering Packages

Vocabulary
  • delivery manifest — manifiesto de reparto
  • demanding route — ruta exigente
  • road closure — calle o carretera cortada
  • throw off my schedule — alterar mi horario
  • loading zone — zona de carga
  • slow someone down — hacer perder tiempo o ralentizar
  • real-time traffic updates — información del tráfico en tiempo real
  • proof of delivery — prueba de entrega
  • overlook a detail — pasar por alto un detalle
  • chain reaction — reacción en cadena
  • keep a cool head — mantener la cabeza fría
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

schedule closure off road my throws A
Reading comprehension
  1. What makes today’s route demanding?
  2. Why must I find legal loading zones?
  3. Which three actions do I perform at every stop?
  4. What may result from overlooking one detail?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • A road closure throws off my schedule.
  • I record proof of delivery.
  • I keep a cool head and adjust my route.

Translate into English:

  • Hoy tengo un manifiesto de reparto completo.
  • Consulto la información del tráfico en tiempo real.
  • Puedo provocar una cadena de retrasos.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Over the years, as a delivery driver, I have learned that my job is not simply about driving and ringing doorbells. I have to juggle tight schedules, anticipate setbacks, and deal with many different people. A seemingly straightforward delivery can go off course because of an incomplete address, a broken intercom, a missing access code, or the absence of a safe place to leave the package. My route planner and handheld scanner provide information, but I also have to think on my feet. That is why I work methodically and carefully: every minute counts, and small details carry a lot of weight.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con los años, como repartidora he aprendido que mi trabajo no consiste únicamente en conducir y llamar a puertas. Tengo que compaginar horarios ajustados, anticiparme a los contratiempos y tratar con personas muy diferentes. Una entrega aparentemente sencilla puede torcerse por una dirección incompleta, un telefonillo averiado, la falta de un código de acceso o la ausencia de un lugar seguro donde dejar el paquete. El planificador de rutas y el escáner portátil me proporcionan información, pero también tengo que reaccionar con agilidad. Por eso trabajo con método y atención: cada minuto cuenta y los pequeños detalles tienen mucho peso.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, as a delivery driver, I had learned that my job was not simply about driving and ringing doorbells. I had to juggle tight schedules, anticipate setbacks, and deal with many different people. A seemingly straightforward delivery could go off course because of an incomplete address, a broken intercom, a missing access code, or the absence of a safe place to leave the package. My route planner and handheld scanner provided information, but I also had to think on my feet. That was why I worked methodically and carefully: every minute counted, and small details carried a lot of weight.
Main changes
have learnedhad learned is notwas not have to jugglehad to juggle can go off coursecould go off course provideprovided have to thinkhad to think iswas workworked countscounted carrycarried
💡 C1 | Grammar point not simply about + -ing

En My job is not simply about driving and ringing doorbells, utilizamos esta estructura para indicar que una actividad es más compleja de lo que podría parecer.

be + not simply about + verbo terminado en -ing
My job is not simply about driving. Delivering packages is not simply about moving boxes. Good service is not simply about arriving on time.
Atención: about es una preposición, por lo que el verbo posterior adopta la forma terminada en -ing. En contextos menos formales también podemos emplear not just about.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

Delivering Packages

Vocabulary
  • juggle tight schedules — compaginar horarios ajustados
  • anticipate setbacks — anticiparse a los contratiempos
  • straightforward — sencillo o sin complicaciones
  • go off course — torcerse o desviarse de lo previsto
  • broken intercom — telefonillo averiado
  • safe place — lugar seguro
  • route planner — planificador de rutas
  • handheld scanner — escáner portátil
  • think on my feet — reaccionar con agilidad
  • methodically — de manera metódica
  • carry weight — tener peso o importancia
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

feet have I think also my to on
Reading comprehension
  1. Which responsibilities make the job more than simply driving?
  2. What four problems can complicate a delivery?
  3. Which two tools provide me with information?
  4. What must I do when the available information is not enough?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I have to juggle tight schedules.
  • A simple delivery can go off course.
  • I also have to think on my feet.

Translate into English:

  • Me anticipo a los contratiempos.
  • El telefonillo está averiado.
  • Los pequeños detalles tienen mucho peso.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENCY
My work as a delivery driver reveals the city as an invisible network of doors, access codes, staircases, loading docks, and delivery windows. Behind every package lies a promise: a replacement part, a birthday gift, or an essential item that someone has been waiting days to receive. Delivering well requires me to move at a steady pace without sacrificing accuracy, handle obstacles on the fly, protect the goods, and maintain the trust of customers who may never meet me. My scanner records every stop, my route planner maps my next move, and my hand truck takes some of the physical strain off my body; even so, my judgment is what keeps the entire day running smoothly. Although much of my work goes unnoticed, every delivery connects someone with something they need.
C2 | MAESTRÍA
Mi oficio de repartidora me muestra la ciudad como una red invisible de puertas, códigos, escaleras, muelles de carga y franjas horarias. Detrás de cada paquete hay una promesa: una pieza de recambio, un regalo de cumpleaños o un artículo esencial que alguien lleva días esperando. Repartir bien exige avanzar a buen ritmo sin sacrificar precisión, afrontar los obstáculos sobre la marcha, proteger la mercancía y conservar la confianza de clientes que quizá nunca lleguen a conocerme. El escáner registra cada parada, el planificador de rutas traza mi siguiente movimiento y la carretilla de mano me ahorra parte del esfuerzo físico; aun así, mi criterio es lo que permite que toda la jornada funcione. Aunque gran parte de mi trabajo pase inadvertido, cada entrega conecta a una persona con algo que necesita.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, my work as a delivery driver had revealed the city as an invisible network of doors, access codes, staircases, loading docks, and delivery windows. Behind every package lay a promise: a replacement part, a birthday gift, or an essential item that someone had been waiting days to receive. Delivering well required me to move at a steady pace without sacrificing accuracy, handle obstacles on the fly, protect the goods, and maintain the trust of customers who might never meet me. My scanner recorded every stop, my route planner mapped my next move, and my hand truck took some of the physical strain off my body; even so, my judgment was what kept the entire day running smoothly. Although much of my work went unnoticed, every delivery connected someone with something they needed.
Main changes
revealshad revealed lieslay has been waitinghad been waiting requiresrequired maymight recordsrecorded mapsmapped takestook iswas keepskept goes unnoticedwent unnoticed connectsconnected needneeded
💡 C2 | Grammar point X is what + verb

En My judgment is what keeps the entire day running smoothly, la oración introducida por what identifica y destaca el elemento verdaderamente importante.

sujeto + be + what + verbo
En esta construcción, what equivale aproximadamente a «lo que» o «aquello que».
My judgment is what keeps the entire day running smoothly. Careful planning is what prevents unnecessary delays. Reliable equipment is what allows me to work efficiently.
Atención: aquí what no introduce una pregunta. Forma una oración nominal que funciona como complemento. Decimos My experience is what helps me react quickly, no My experience is that helps me react quickly.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

Delivering Packages

Vocabulary
  • invisible network — red invisible
  • loading dock — muelle de carga
  • delivery window — franja horaria de entrega
  • behind every package lies — detrás de cada paquete hay
  • replacement part — pieza de recambio
  • at a steady pace — a un ritmo constante
  • sacrifice accuracy — sacrificar precisión
  • on the fly — sobre la marcha
  • goods — mercancía
  • physical strain — esfuerzo físico
  • judgment — criterio
  • go unnoticed — pasar inadvertido
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

smoothly what judgment the My day keeps is running entire
Reading comprehension
  1. Which elements form the city’s invisible delivery network?
  2. What kinds of needs can a package represent?
  3. How do my three main tools help me?
  4. What does every completed delivery connect?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Behind every package lies a promise.
  • I handle obstacles on the fly.
  • Much of my work goes unnoticed.

Translate into English:

  • Avanzo a un ritmo constante sin sacrificar precisión.
  • La carretilla de mano me ahorra parte del esfuerzo físico.
  • Cada entrega conecta a una persona con algo que necesita.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.