Grammar focus:
los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul.
Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version
para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point
para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I am an office cleaner. I arrive in the afternoon, put on my gloves, and push the cleaning cart into the office. I empty the trash cans and wipe the desks with a cloth. Then I mop the floor. Everything looks clean and tidy. I turn off the lights and lock the door.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Soy limpiador de oficinas. Llego por la tarde, me pongo los guantes y llevo el carro de limpieza hasta la oficina. Vacío las papeleras y limpio los escritorios con un paño. Después friego el suelo con la fregona. Todo queda limpio y ordenado. Apago las luces y cierro la puerta con llave.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
I was an office cleaner. I arrived in the afternoon, put on my gloves, and pushed the cleaning cart into the office. I emptied the trash cans and wiped the desks with a cloth. Then I mopped the floor. Everything looked clean and tidy. I turned off the lights and locked the door.
En I wipe the desks with a cloth, utilizamos with para indicar la herramienta o el objeto con el que realizamos una acción.
verbo + objeto + with + herramienta
I wipe the desks with a cloth.I clean the floor with a mop.I open the door with a key.
Recuerda: en este uso, with responde a la pregunta “¿con qué?”.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1
Cleaning an Office
Vocabulary
office cleaner — limpiador de oficinas
arrive in the afternoon — llegar por la tarde
put on my gloves — ponerme los guantes
cleaning cart — carro de limpieza
empty the trash cans — vaciar las papeleras
wipe the desks — limpiar los escritorios con un paño
cloth — paño
mop the floor — fregar el suelo
clean and tidy — limpio y ordenado
turn off the lights — apagar las luces
lock the door — cerrar la puerta con llave
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
clothdesksIathewithwipe
Reading comprehension
What is my job?
What do I put on when I arrive?
Which two things do I empty or wipe?
How do I leave the office?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I am an office cleaner.
I empty the trash cans.
I lock the door.
Translate into English:
Me pongo los guantes.
Llevo el carro de limpieza hasta la oficina.
Friego el suelo.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as an office cleaner after the workday ends. First, I put on my rubber gloves, pick up loose papers from the floor, empty the trash cans, and wipe the desks with a microfiber cloth. Then I vacuum the carpet, mop the hard floors, and check the restrooms. I also refill the paper dispensers. Before leaving, I return the supplies to the cleaning cart and make sure everything is in its proper place.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como limpiador de oficinas cuando termina la jornada laboral. Primero me pongo los guantes de goma, recojo los papeles sueltos del suelo, vacío las papeleras y limpio los escritorios con un paño de microfibra. Después aspiro la moqueta, friego los suelos duros y reviso los aseos. También repongo los dispensadores de papel. Antes de irme, devuelvo el material al carro de limpieza y me aseguro de que todo esté en su sitio.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
I worked as an office cleaner after the workday ended. First, I put on my rubber gloves, picked up loose papers from the floor, emptied the trash cans, and wiped the desks with a microfiber cloth. Then I vacuumed the carpet, mopped the hard floors, and checked the restrooms. I also refilled the paper dispensers. Before leaving, I returned the supplies to the cleaning cart and made sure everything was in its proper place.
En Before leaving, I return the supplies to the cleaning cart, podemos colocar before delante de un verbo terminado en -ing porque el sujeto de las dos acciones es el mismo.
before + verbo terminado en -ing
Before leaving, I check the restrooms.I put on my gloves before cleaning the desks.Before mopping the floor, I put out a warning sign.
Importante: también podemos decir Before I leave..., pero no usamos el infinitivo con to: no decimos before to leave.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2
Cleaning an Office
Vocabulary
after the workday ends — cuando termina la jornada laboral
rubber gloves — guantes de goma
pick up loose papers — recoger papeles sueltos
empty the trash cans — vaciar las papeleras
microfiber cloth — paño de microfibra
vacuum the carpet — aspirar la moqueta
mop the hard floors — fregar los suelos duros
check the restrooms — revisar los aseos
refill the paper dispensers — reponer los dispensadores de papel
cleaning supplies — material de limpieza
return the supplies — devolver el material
cleaning cart — carro de limpieza
in its proper place — en su sitio
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
microfiberdesksawipewithIcloththe
Reading comprehension
When do I work?
What do I pick up from the floor?
Which surfaces do I vacuum and mop?
What do I do before leaving?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I put on my rubber gloves.
I vacuum the carpet.
I refill the paper dispensers.
Translate into English:
Vacío las papeleras.
Reviso los aseos.
Me aseguro de que todo esté en su sitio.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My shift as a cleaner begins after the employees have gone home and the office has fallen quiet. I check each room and follow a task list. I apply disinfectant to a microfiber cloth and wipe the door handles, light switches, and other high-touch surfaces. I also vacuum the rugs and refill the soap and paper dispensers in the restrooms. Although most people never see me at work, I know the result matters. When necessary, I put out a wet floor sign and keep the hallways clear so everyone can start the day on the right foot.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi turno como limpiador empieza cuando los empleados ya se han marchado y la oficina ha quedado en silencio. Reviso cada sala y sigo una lista de tareas. Aplico desinfectante a un paño de microfibra y limpio los pomos de las puertas, los interruptores y otras superficies que se tocan con frecuencia. También aspiro las alfombras y repongo el jabón y el papel en los aseos. Aunque la mayoría de las personas nunca me ve trabajando, sé que el resultado importa. Cuando hace falta, coloco una señal de suelo mojado y mantengo despejados los pasillos para que todos puedan empezar el día con buen pie.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
My shift as a cleaner began after the employees had gone home and the office had fallen quiet. I checked each room and followed a task list. I applied disinfectant to a microfiber cloth and wiped the door handles, light switches, and other high-touch surfaces. I also vacuumed the rugs and refilled the soap and paper dispensers in the restrooms. Although most people never saw me at work, I knew the result mattered. When necessary, I put out a wet floor sign and kept the hallways clear so everyone could start the day on the right foot.
En Although most people never see me at work, I know the result matters, utilizamos although para presentar un contraste entre dos ideas.
Although + sujeto + verbo, oración principal
Although the office looks clean, I check every room.Although the stain is small, I remove it carefully.I continue working although I am tired.
Importante: no combinamos although y but en la misma estructura. Podemos usar uno u otro, pero no los dos.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1
Cleaning an Office
Vocabulary
the employees have gone home — los empleados se han marchado
the office has fallen quiet — la oficina ha quedado en silencio
follow a task list — seguir una lista de tareas
apply disinfectant — aplicar desinfectante
microfiber cloth — paño de microfibra
door handles — pomos de las puertas
light switches — interruptores
high-touch surfaces — superficies que se tocan con frecuencia
vacuum the rugs — aspirar las alfombras
refill the dispensers — reponer los dispensadores
the result matters — el resultado importa
put out a wet floor sign — colocar una señal de suelo mojado
keep the hallways clear — mantener despejados los pasillos
start the day on the right foot — empezar el día con buen pie
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
floorputsignaIwetout
Reading comprehension
What has happened before my shift begins?
Which surfaces do I clean with disinfectant?
What do I refill in the restrooms?
How does my work help the employees?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I follow a task list.
I wipe the door handles and light switches.
I keep the hallways clear.
Translate into English:
La oficina ha quedado en silencio.
Repongo el jabón y el papel.
El resultado importa.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
As an office cleaner, I rely on organization and consistency. I do not skim over surfaces just to finish quickly; I work methodically from one area to the next. I check the shared areas, remove stubborn marks with the right cleaning solution, and use a nonabrasive sponge when a surface could be scratched. If I find a room in complete disarray, I break the job down into smaller tasks and tackle them one at a time. When I finish, the workspace is ready for the next day.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Como limpiador de oficinas, dependo de la organización y la constancia. No me limito a limpiar por encima para terminar deprisa; trabajo de forma metódica, avanzando de una zona a otra. Reviso las zonas comunes, elimino las marcas difíciles con el producto adecuado y utilizo una esponja no abrasiva cuando una superficie podría rayarse. Si encuentro una sala muy desordenada, divido el trabajo en tareas más pequeñas y las afronto una por una. Cuando termino, el espacio queda preparado para el día siguiente.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
As an office cleaner, I relied on organization and consistency. I did not skim over surfaces just to finish quickly; I worked methodically from one area to the next. I checked the shared areas, removed stubborn marks with the right cleaning solution, and used a nonabrasive sponge when a surface could be scratched. If I found a room in complete disarray, I broke the job down into smaller tasks and tackled them one at a time. When I finished, the workspace was ready for the next day.
Main changes
rely on→relied ondo not skim over→did not skim overwork→workedcheck→checkedremove→removeduse→usedfind→foundbreak down→broke downtackle→tackledfinish→finishedis→was
💡 B2 | Grammar pointmodal + be + past participle
En a surface could be scratched, usamos la voz pasiva porque la superficie recibe la acción: alguien o algo podría rayarla.
sujeto + verbo modal + be + participio pasado
The surface could be scratched.The carpet must be vacuumed.The cleaning solution should be diluted.The equipment can be damaged by the wrong product.
Importante: después del verbo modal utilizamos be, no is ni was. Compara The sponge could scratch the surface con The surface could be scratched.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2
Cleaning an Office
Vocabulary
rely on organization — depender de la organización
consistency — constancia
skim over surfaces — limpiar las superficies por encima
finish quickly — terminar deprisa
work methodically — trabajar de forma metódica
from one area to the next — de una zona a otra
shared areas — zonas comunes
stubborn marks — marcas difíciles
cleaning solution — producto o solución de limpieza
nonabrasive sponge — esponja no abrasiva
could be scratched — podría rayarse
in complete disarray — completamente desordenado
break the job down — dividir el trabajo
smaller tasks — tareas más pequeñas
tackle them one at a time — afrontarlas una por una
ready for the next day — preparado para el día siguiente
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
tasksjobbreaksmallertheintoIdown
Reading comprehension
Which qualities do I rely on?
How do I move through the different areas?
Why might I use a nonabrasive sponge?
How do I manage a room in complete disarray?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I work methodically.
I remove stubborn marks.
I break the job down into smaller tasks.
Translate into English:
Reviso las zonas comunes.
La superficie podría rayarse.
Afronto las tareas una por una.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
C1 | ADVANCED
Over time, I have learned that cleaning supports an invisible part of working life. When everything is in order, few people stop to think about how it got that way; when a dispenser runs empty or a floor is neglected, the difference stands out immediately. As a cleaner, I follow a systematic routine, but I shift my priorities when a spill or another urgent task comes up. I use color-coded cloths to reduce cross-contamination, handle personal belongings carefully, and leave confidential documents untouched. My work does not put me in the spotlight, but I know it contributes to the daily well-being of everyone who uses that space.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con el tiempo, he aprendido que la limpieza sostiene una parte invisible de la vida laboral. Cuando todo está en orden, pocas personas se detienen a pensar cómo ha llegado a estar así; cuando un dispensador se queda vacío o se descuida un suelo, la diferencia se nota enseguida. Como limpiador, sigo una rutina sistemática, pero cambio mis prioridades cuando surge un derrame u otra tarea urgente. Utilizo paños de distintos colores para reducir la contaminación cruzada, trato los objetos personales con cuidado y no toco los documentos confidenciales. Mi trabajo no me coloca en el centro de atención, pero sé que contribuye al bienestar diario de todos los que utilizan ese espacio.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
By then, I had learned that cleaning supported an invisible part of working life. When everything was in order, few people stopped to think about how it had gotten that way; when a dispenser ran empty or a floor was neglected, the difference stood out immediately. As a cleaner, I followed a systematic routine, but I shifted my priorities when a spill or another urgent task came up. I used color-coded cloths to reduce cross-contamination, handled personal belongings carefully, and left confidential documents untouched. My work did not put me in the spotlight, but I knew it contributed to the daily well-being of everyone who used that space.
Main changes
have learned→had learnedsupports→supportedis→wasstop→stoppedgot→had gottenruns empty→ran emptyis neglected→was neglectedstands out→stood outfollow→followedshift→shiftedcomes up→came upuse→usedhandle→handledleave→leftdoes not put→did not putknow→knewcontributes→contributeduses→used
💡 C1 | Grammar pointleave + object + complement
En I leave confidential documents untouched, el complemento final expresa el estado en el que quedan los documentos después de que decido no actuar sobre ellos.
leave + objeto + adjetivo o participio
I leave confidential documents untouched.I leave the office clean and tidy.I leave personal belongings undisturbed.The spill left the floor slippery.
Comparación:I leave the documents significa que me marcho o los abandono; I leave the documents untouched significa que conservo su estado y no los toco.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1
Cleaning an Office
Vocabulary
over time — con el tiempo
an invisible part of working life — una parte invisible de la vida laboral
be in order — estar en orden
stop to think — detenerse a pensar
run empty — quedarse vacío
a neglected floor — un suelo descuidado
stand out immediately — notarse enseguida
systematic routine — rutina sistemática
shift my priorities — cambiar mis prioridades
a spill — un derrame
a task comes up — surge una tarea
color-coded cloths — paños diferenciados por colores
reduce cross-contamination — reducir la contaminación cruzada
put someone in the spotlight — colocar a alguien en el centro de atención
daily well-being — bienestar diario
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
documentsleaveuntouchedIconfidential
Reading comprehension
What have I learned about cleaning?
When does the difference made by cleaning stand out?
How do I reduce the risk of cross-contamination?
Which objects do I handle carefully or leave untouched?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I follow a systematic routine.
I shift my priorities when a spill occurs.
I leave confidential documents untouched.
Translate into English:
Un dispensador se queda vacío.
Trato los objetos personales con cuidado.
Mi trabajo contribuye al bienestar diario.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
C2 | PROFICIENCY
My work has taught me that order does not materialize out of thin air. Maintaining a well-kept office takes physical effort, sound judgment, and constant attention to details that other people tend to overlook. I choose the right product for each material, follow the correct dilution ratios, keep the equipment in good condition, and notice early signs of wear or damage before they turn into bigger problems. Empty trash cans, streak-free windows, and carefully maintained corners all contribute to a quiet sense of comfort. In a way, I leave my mark by leaving no trace behind.
C2 | MAESTRÍA
Mi trabajo me ha enseñado que el orden no surge por arte de magia. Mantener una oficina bien cuidada exige esfuerzo físico, buen criterio y una atención constante a detalles que otras personas suelen pasar por alto. Elijo el producto adecuado para cada material, respeto las proporciones de dilución, mantengo el equipo en buenas condiciones y detecto los primeros signos de desgaste o deterioro antes de que se conviertan en problemas mayores. Las papeleras vacías, los cristales sin marcas y los rincones bien cuidados contribuyen a una discreta sensación de comodidad. En cierto modo, dejo huella al no dejar ningún rastro.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
By then, my work had taught me that order did not materialize out of thin air. Maintaining a well-kept office took physical effort, sound judgment, and constant attention to details that other people tended to overlook. I chose the right product for each material, followed the correct dilution ratios, kept the equipment in good condition, and noticed early signs of wear or damage before they turned into bigger problems. Empty trash cans, streak-free windows, and carefully maintained corners all contributed to a quiet sense of comfort. In a way, I left my mark by leaving no trace behind.
Main changes
has taught→had taughtdoes not materialize→did not materializetakes→tooktend to overlook→tended to overlookchoose→chosefollow→followedkeep→keptnotice→noticedturn into→turned intocontribute→contributedleave my mark→left my mark
💡 C2 | Grammar pointcompound and participial modifiers
En el texto aparecen a well-kept office, streak-free windows y carefully maintained corners: tres formas de concentrar información delante de un sustantivo.
modificador compuesto o participial + sustantivo
I work in a well-kept office.I leave the windows streak-free.I use properly diluted cleaning products.
Guiones: escribimos well-kept y streak-free con guion, pero no unimos un adverbio terminado en -ly al participio: carefully maintained corners, no carefully-maintained corners.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2
Cleaning an Office
Vocabulary
materialize out of thin air — surgir por arte de magia
well-kept office — oficina bien cuidada
physical effort — esfuerzo físico
sound judgment — buen criterio
tend to overlook — tender a pasar por alto
the right product for each material — el producto adecuado para cada material
dilution ratios — proporciones de dilución
keep equipment in good condition — mantener el equipo en buenas condiciones
signs of wear or damage — signos de desgaste o deterioro
turn into bigger problems — convertirse en problemas mayores
empty trash cans — papeleras vacías
streak-free windows — cristales sin marcas
carefully maintained corners — rincones bien cuidados
a quiet sense of comfort — una discreta sensación de comodidad
leave my mark — dejar huella
leave no trace behind — no dejar ningún rastro
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
traceleavebehindmarknomybyIleaving
Reading comprehension
What does maintaining a well-kept office require?
Which decisions do I make about products and equipment?
Why do I look for early signs of wear or damage?
What does it mean to leave my mark without leaving a trace?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I follow the correct dilution ratios.
I keep the equipment in good condition.
I leave my mark by leaving no trace behind.
Translate into English:
El orden no surge por arte de magia.
Otras personas suelen pasar por alto esos detalles.
Los cristales quedan sin marcas.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.