Grammar focus:
los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul.
Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version
para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point
para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I work in a pharmacy. In the morning, I open the door, turn on the lights, and put on my lab coat. I place boxes on the shelves. A customer comes in and asks me for help. I look for the product, scan its barcode, and place it on the counter. Then I smile and say thank you.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Trabajo en una farmacia. Por la mañana, abro la puerta, enciendo las luces y me pongo la bata. Coloco cajas en las estanterías. Entra un cliente y me pide ayuda. Busco el producto, escaneo su código de barras y lo pongo en el mostrador. Después sonrío y doy las gracias.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
I worked in a pharmacy. That morning, I opened the door, turned on the lights, and put on my lab coat. I placed boxes on the shelves. A customer came in and asked me for help. I looked for the product, scanned its barcode, and placed it on the counter. Then I smiled and said thank you.
En A customer asks me for help, colocamos primero a la persona y después usamos for delante de lo que se solicita.
ask + persona + for + cosa
A customer asks me for help.I ask the pharmacist for advice.She asks me for a thermometer.
Importante: no decimos asks help to me. El orden correcto es asks me for help.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1
My Shift at the Pharmacy
Vocabulary
work in a pharmacy — trabajar en una farmacia
open the door — abrir la puerta
turn on the lights — encender las luces
put on my lab coat — ponerme la bata
place boxes on the shelves — colocar cajas en las estanterías
a customer comes in — entra un cliente
ask me for help — pedirme ayuda
look for the product — buscar el producto
scan its barcode — escanear su código de barras
place it on the counter — ponerlo en el mostrador
smile — sonreír
say thank you — dar las gracias
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
counterproductItheonplacethe
Reading comprehension
Where do I work?
What do I do when I arrive in the morning?
Who comes in and asks me for help?
What do I do before placing the product on the counter?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I work in a pharmacy.
I put on my lab coat.
I scan the product’s barcode.
Translate into English:
Enciendo las luces.
Coloco cajas en las estanterías.
Sonrío y doy las gracias.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work in a pharmacy near my home. Every day, I unpack deliveries, check labels, and organize medications in the drawers. Some customers are looking for a cream; others need a thermometer or vitamins. I listen carefully and use the barcode scanner to check the products. When necessary, I call the pharmacist.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo en una farmacia cerca de mi casa. Cada día desembalo los pedidos, reviso las etiquetas y organizo los medicamentos en los cajones. Algunos clientes buscan una crema; otros necesitan un termómetro o vitaminas. Escucho con atención y utilizo el lector de códigos de barras para comprobar los productos. Cuando hace falta, llamo al farmacéutico.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
I worked in a pharmacy near my home. Every day, I unpacked deliveries, checked labels, and organized medications in the drawers. Some customers were looking for a cream; others needed a thermometer or vitamins. I listened carefully and used the barcode scanner to check the products. When necessary, I called the pharmacist.
En Some customers are looking for a cream, usamos be looking for cuando alguien está intentando encontrar algo en ese momento.
sujeto + am/is/are + looking for + objeto
A customer is looking for a cream.They are looking for some vitamins.I am looking for the correct drawer.
Comparación:look for significa “buscar”, mientras que find significa “encontrar”. El presente simple expresa un hábito y el continuo, una acción actual.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2
My Shift at the Pharmacy
Vocabulary
near my home — cerca de mi casa
unpack deliveries — desembalar los pedidos
check labels — revisar las etiquetas
organize medications — organizar los medicamentos
in the drawers — en los cajones
look for a cream — buscar una crema
thermometer — termómetro
vitamins — vitaminas
listen carefully — escuchar con atención
barcode scanner — lector de códigos de barras
check the products — comprobar los productos
when necessary — cuando hace falta
call the pharmacist — llamar al farmacéutico
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
productsscannerIthecheckbarcodeusetothe
Reading comprehension
Where is the pharmacy?
What do I do with the deliveries?
Which three products do customers look for or need?
What do I do when necessary?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I unpack deliveries.
I organize medications in the drawers.
I use the barcode scanner.
Translate into English:
Reviso las etiquetas.
Algunos clientes buscan una crema.
Cuando hace falta, llamo al farmacéutico.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My shift at the pharmacy starts when I check the day’s orders. I use a stock cart to put away new products and a handheld scanner to update the inventory. I also check expiration dates and keep the counter clean. Many customers come in with questions, so I try to speak clearly. I do not give medical advice, but I help them find what they need and refer medication questions to the pharmacist. In this job, listening carefully is essential.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi turno en la farmacia empieza cuando reviso los pedidos del día. Utilizo un carro de reposición para guardar los productos nuevos y un lector portátil para actualizar el inventario. También compruebo las fechas de caducidad y mantengo limpio el mostrador. Muchos clientes llegan con dudas, así que procuro hablar con claridad. No doy consejos médicos, pero los ayudo a encontrar lo que necesitan y consulto al farmacéutico cuando preguntan por un medicamento. En este trabajo, escuchar con atención es fundamental.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
My shift at the pharmacy started when I checked the day’s orders. I used a stock cart to put away new products and a handheld scanner to update the inventory. I also checked expiration dates and kept the counter clean. Many customers came in with questions, so I tried to speak clearly. I did not give medical advice, but I helped them find what they needed and referred medication questions to the pharmacist. In that job, listening carefully was essential.
Main changes
starts→startedcheck→checkeduse→usedput away→put awayupdate→updatekeep→keptcome in→came intry→trieddo not give→did not givehelp→helpedneed→neededrefer→referredis→was
💡 B1 | Grammar pointhelp + object + base verb
En I help them find what they need, después de help colocamos una persona seguida directamente de un verbo en su forma base.
help + persona + verbo base
I help customers find the right product.The pharmacist helps me check the order.I help them understand the next step.
También es correcto: podemos añadir to y decir I help them to find.... En inglés americano es muy habitual omitirlo.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1
My Shift at the Pharmacy
Vocabulary
my shift starts — mi turno empieza
the day’s orders — los pedidos del día
stock cart — carro de reposición
put away new products — guardar los productos nuevos
handheld scanner — lector portátil
update the inventory — actualizar el inventario
expiration dates — fechas de caducidad
keep the counter clean — mantener limpio el mostrador
come in with questions — llegar con dudas
speak clearly — hablar con claridad
give medical advice — dar consejos médicos
find what they need — encontrar lo que necesitan
refer a question — derivar una consulta
medication questions — consultas sobre medicamentos
listening carefully — escuchar con atención
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
pharmacistmedicationIthequestionstorefer
Reading comprehension
What do I check at the beginning of my shift?
Which tool do I use to update the inventory?
Why do I try to speak clearly?
What do I do when a customer asks a medication question?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I check expiration dates.
I keep the counter clean.
I help customers find what they need.
Translate into English:
Utilizo un carro de reposición.
Muchos clientes llegan con dudas.
No doy consejos médicos.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
In my role at the pharmacy, I need discretion, organization, and close attention to detail. Today I help several older customers, restock hygiene products, and prepare pickup orders. I print labels and sort the bags into the pickup bins. When someone seems worried, I slow down, explain the next step calmly, and bring in the pharmacist if the question goes beyond my role. I never guess: if in doubt, I double-check everything before making the wrong call.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
En mi trabajo en la farmacia, necesito discreción, orden y mucha atención al detalle. Hoy atiendo a varios clientes mayores, repongo productos de higiene y preparo pedidos para recoger más tarde. Imprimo etiquetas y ordeno las bolsas en los compartimentos de recogida. Cuando alguien parece preocupado, reduzco el ritmo, explico con calma el siguiente paso y recurro al farmacéutico si la consulta excede mis funciones. Nunca improviso: si tengo alguna duda, vuelvo a comprobarlo todo antes de tomar una decisión equivocada.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
In my role at the pharmacy, I needed discretion, organization, and close attention to detail. That day, I helped several older customers, restocked hygiene products, and prepared pickup orders. I printed labels and sorted the bags into the pickup bins. When someone seemed worried, I slowed down, explained the next step calmly, and brought in the pharmacist if the question went beyond my role. I never guessed: if in doubt, I double-checked everything before making the wrong call.
En if in doubt, omitimos palabras que se entienden por el contexto. La forma completa sería if I am in doubt.
if + expresión abreviada, oración principal
If in doubt, ask the pharmacist.If necessary, check the label again.If unsure, do not guess.
Uso: estas formas abreviadas son frecuentes con expresiones como if in doubt, if necessary, if possible e if unsure.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2
My Shift at the Pharmacy
Vocabulary
in my role — en mi trabajo o función
discretion — discreción
close attention to detail — mucha atención al detalle
older customers — clientes mayores
restock hygiene products — reponer productos de higiene
prepare pickup orders — preparar pedidos para recoger
print labels — imprimir etiquetas
sort the bags — ordenar las bolsas
pickup bins — compartimentos de recogida
seem worried — parecer preocupado
slow down — reducir el ritmo
explain something calmly — explicar algo con calma
bring in the pharmacist — recurrir al farmacéutico
go beyond my role — exceder mis funciones
if in doubt — en caso de duda
double-check everything — volver a comprobarlo todo
make the wrong call — tomar una decisión equivocada
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
wrongeverythingmakingIcallthebeforedouble-check
Reading comprehension
Which qualities do I need in my role?
What do I prepare for customers to collect later?
What do I do when someone seems worried?
How do I avoid making the wrong call?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I restock hygiene products.
I sort the bags into the pickup bins.
If in doubt, I double-check everything.
Translate into English:
Preparo pedidos para recoger.
Explico con calma el siguiente paso.
La consulta excede mis funciones.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
C1 | ADVANCED
Over time, I have learned that a pharmacy is much more than a place where people pick up medications. To me, it is also a place where trust has to be earned. Some customers arrive in a hurry; others arrive worried. I have to listen closely, protect their privacy, and offer reassurance without overstepping my role. Whether I am checking a shelf label, reading a prescription number back, or referring a question to the pharmacist, accuracy matters as much as the human touch. A small misunderstanding can have real consequences.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con el tiempo, he aprendido que una farmacia es mucho más que un lugar donde se recogen medicamentos. Para mí, también es un espacio donde hay que ganarse la confianza. Algunos clientes llegan con prisa; otros, preocupados. Tengo que escuchar con atención, proteger su privacidad y transmitir seguridad sin excederme en mis funciones. Tanto si compruebo la etiqueta de una estantería como si repito el número de una receta o derivo una consulta al farmacéutico, la precisión importa tanto como el trato humano. Un pequeño malentendido puede tener consecuencias reales.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
By then, I had learned that a pharmacy was much more than a place where people picked up medications. To me, it was also a place where trust had to be earned. Some customers arrived in a hurry; others arrived worried. I had to listen closely, protect their privacy, and offer reassurance without overstepping my role. Whether I was checking a shelf label, reading a prescription number back, or referring a question to the pharmacist, accuracy mattered as much as the human touch. A small misunderstanding could have real consequences.
Main changes
have learned→had learnedis→waspick up→picked uphas to be earned→had to be earnedarrive→arrivedhave to listen→had to listenam checking→was checkingmatters→matteredcan have→could have
💡 C1 | Grammar pointwhether... or...
En Whether I am checking a shelf label, reading a prescription number back, or referring a question..., whether... or... presenta varias alternativas posibles.
whether + primera alternativa + or + última alternativa
Whether I am checking a label or answering a question, I work carefully.I protect their privacy whether they are calm or worried.Whether the question is simple or complex, I listen closely.
Fíjate: con tres o más alternativas, separamos las primeras con comas y colocamos or antes de la última.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1
My Shift at the Pharmacy
Vocabulary
over time — con el tiempo
much more than — mucho más que
pick up medications — recoger medicamentos
trust has to be earned — hay que ganarse la confianza
in a hurry — con prisa
arrive worried — llegar preocupado
listen closely — escuchar con atención
protect someone’s privacy — proteger la privacidad de alguien
offer reassurance — transmitir seguridad
overstep my role — excederme en mis funciones
shelf label — etiqueta de una estantería
read a number back — repetir un número para comprobarlo
prescription number — número de receta
refer a question — derivar una consulta
accuracy — precisión
the human touch — el trato humano
misunderstanding — malentendido
have consequences — tener consecuencias
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
humanmattersAccuracytheastouchasmuch
Reading comprehension
What have I learned about a pharmacy?
What aspect of the customer must I protect?
Which three professional actions appear in the final comparison?
Why can a small misunderstanding be serious?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
Trust has to be earned.
I protect their privacy.
Accuracy matters as much as the human touch.
Translate into English:
Algunos clientes llegan con prisa.
Transmito seguridad sin excederme en mis funciones.
Un pequeño malentendido puede tener consecuencias reales.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
C2 | PROFICIENCY
Every shift at the pharmacy reminds me that even an everyday interaction can be a form of care. Behind every prescription, every brief question, and every hesitant pause is a person looking for reliable guidance. I do not need to have all the answers; I need to know where my responsibilities begin and end. I cross-check details, document what I do, and involve the pharmacist whenever professional judgment is required. Even routine tools—the label printer, barcode scanner, and storage thermometer—support a chain of accuracy that most customers never see. By choosing my words carefully and refusing to cut corners, I help build trust one interaction at a time.
C2 | MAESTRÍA
Cada turno en la farmacia me recuerda que incluso una interacción cotidiana puede ser una forma de cuidado. Detrás de cada receta, cada consulta breve y cada pausa dubitativa hay una persona que busca orientación fiable. No necesito tener todas las respuestas; necesito saber dónde empiezan y terminan mis responsabilidades. Contrasto los datos, dejo constancia de lo que hago y recurro al farmacéutico cuando se requiere su criterio profesional. Incluso herramientas rutinarias —la impresora de etiquetas, el lector de códigos de barras y el termómetro de almacenamiento— forman parte de una cadena de precisión que la mayoría de los clientes nunca ve. Al elegir bien mis palabras y negarme a tomar atajos, contribuyo a construir confianza interacción tras interacción.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive.🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense versionPresent → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
Every shift at the pharmacy reminded me that even an everyday interaction could be a form of care. Behind every prescription, every brief question, and every hesitant pause was a person looking for reliable guidance. I did not need to have all the answers; I needed to know where my responsibilities began and ended. I cross-checked details, documented what I did, and involved the pharmacist whenever professional judgment was required. Even routine tools—the label printer, barcode scanner, and storage thermometer—supported a chain of accuracy that most customers never saw. By choosing my words carefully and refusing to cut corners, I helped build trust one interaction at a time.
Main changes
reminds→remindedcan be→could beis→wasdo not need→did not needneed→neededbegin→beganend→endedcross-check→cross-checkeddocument→documenteddo→didinvolve→involvedis required→was requiredsupport→supportednever see→never sawhelp→helped
💡 C2 | Grammar pointembedded wh-clauses
En I need to know where my responsibilities begin and end, la oración introducida por where funciona como complemento de know.
verbo + palabra interrogativa + sujeto + verbo
I know where my responsibilities begin.I understand why accuracy matters.I check what the label says.
Importante: una pregunta integrada mantiene el orden afirmativo. Decimos I know where my responsibilities begin, no where do my responsibilities begin.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2
My Shift at the Pharmacy
Vocabulary
everyday interaction — interacción cotidiana
a form of care — una forma de cuidado
behind every prescription — detrás de cada receta
brief question — consulta breve
hesitant pause — pausa dubitativa
reliable guidance — orientación fiable
have all the answers — tener todas las respuestas
responsibilities begin and end — las responsabilidades empiezan y terminan
cross-check details — contrastar los datos
document what I do — dejar constancia de lo que hago
professional judgment — criterio profesional
routine tools — herramientas rutinarias
label printer — impresora de etiquetas
barcode scanner — lector de códigos de barras
storage thermometer — termómetro de almacenamiento
a chain of accuracy — una cadena de precisión
choose my words carefully — elegir bien mis palabras
cut corners — tomar atajos
one interaction at a time — interacción tras interacción
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence
Tap the words in the correct order:
interactionbuildaIattrusthelptimeone
Reading comprehension
Who is behind every prescription, question, or hesitant pause?
What do I need to know instead of having all the answers?
How do routine tools support accurate work?
What choices help me build trust?
Translation practice
Translate into Spanish:
I cross-check details.
I involve the pharmacist when professional judgment is required.
I refuse to cut corners.
Translate into English:
Cada interacción puede ser una forma de cuidado.
Necesito saber dónde empiezan y terminan mis responsabilidades.
Construyo confianza interacción tras interacción.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.