My Day as a Barber – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar Practice (A1–C2)
⏳ A1 | Past tense version Present → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
💡 A1 | Grammar point look in the mirror
Para hablar de mirarte a ti mismo en un espejo, en inglés decimos look in the mirror.
A1 | Practice
Match – Quizlet
Play this part of the story on Quizlet.
My Day as a Barber
- I am a barber — Soy barbero
- I work — Trabajo
- a small barbershop — una barbería pequeña
- in the morning — por la mañana
- I clean the chair — limpio el sillón
- prepare the scissors — preparo las tijeras
- a customer comes in — un cliente entra
- sits down — se sienta
- I cut his hair — le corto el pelo
- carefully — con cuidado
- at the end — al final
- he looks in the mirror — se mira en el espejo
- he smiles — sonríe
Tap the words in the correct order:
- Where do I work?
- What do I prepare in the morning?
- Who comes in and sits down?
- What does the customer do at the end?
Translate into Spanish:
- I am a barber.
- I work in a small barbershop.
- I cut his hair carefully.
Translate into English:
- Soy barbero.
- Un cliente entra y se sienta.
- Al final, se mira en el espejo y sonríe.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
⏳ A2 | Past tense version Present → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
💡 A2 | Grammar point ask + person + how...
En I ask him how he wants his haircut, la pregunta está dentro de otra frase.
A2 | Practice
Match – Quizlet
Play this part of the story on Quizlet.
My Day as a Barber
- every morning — cada mañana
- I open the barbershop — abro la barbería
- prepare my tools — preparo mis herramientas
- I clean the comb — limpio el peine
- the scissors — las tijeras
- the clippers — la máquina de cortar el pelo
- a customer arrives — llega un cliente
- I ask him — le pregunto
- his haircut — su corte de pelo
- I work slowly — trabajo despacio
- with care — con cuidado
- I like seeing — me gusta ver
- his smile — su sonrisa
- at the end — al final
Tap the words in the correct order:
- What do I open every morning?
- What tools do I clean?
- What do I ask the customer?
- How do I work?
- What do I like seeing at the end?
Translate into Spanish:
- Every morning, I open the barbershop and prepare my tools.
- When a customer arrives, I ask him how he wants his haircut.
- I work slowly and with care.
Translate into English:
- Cada mañana abro la barbería y preparo mis herramientas.
- Limpio el peine, las tijeras y la máquina de cortar el pelo.
- Me gusta ver su sonrisa al final.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
⏳ B1 | Past tense version Present → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
💡 B1 | Grammar point some... others...
Some... others... sirve para dividir un grupo en dos partes y contrastarlas.
B1 | Practice
Match – Quizlet
Play this part of the story on Quizlet.
My Day as a Barber
- my day as a barber — mi día como barbero
- starts early — empieza temprano
- before seeing the customer — antes de atender al cliente
- the first customer — el primer cliente
- I tidy the counter — ordeno el mostrador
- check the appointments — reviso las citas
- some customers — algunos clientes
- a quick trim — un repaso
- a complete change — un cambio completo
- I listen carefully — escucho con atención
- every detail matters — cada detalle cuenta
- a customer hesitates — un cliente duda
- I offer advice — le aconsejo
- without pressuring him — sin presionarlo
- doing my job well — hacer bien mi trabajo
- makes a difference — marca la diferencia
Tap the words in the correct order:
- When does my day as a barber start?
- What do I do before seeing the first customer?
- What do some customers want?
- Why do I listen carefully?
- What makes a difference for me?
Translate into Spanish:
- My day as a barber starts early.
- I listen carefully because every detail matters.
- For me, doing my job well makes a difference.
Translate into English:
- Antes de atender al primer cliente, ordeno el mostrador y reviso las citas.
- Algunos clientes quieren solo un repaso.
- Si un cliente duda, le aconsejo sin presionarlo.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
⏳ B2 | Past tense version Present → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
💡 B2 | Grammar point what + subject + verb
En understanding what each person wants, what significa «lo que».
B2 | Practice
Match – Quizlet
Play this part of the story on Quizlet.
My Day as a Barber
- working as a barber — trabajar como barbero
- requires patience — exige paciencia
- precision — precisión
- a friendly manner — buen trato
- not just about — no se trata solo de
- cutting hair — cortar el pelo
- understanding what each person wants — entender lo que quiere cada persona
- each person — cada persona
- a clear idea — una idea clara
- needs guidance — necesita orientación
- stay calm — mantener la calma
- go step by step — ir paso a paso
- pay attention to the result — cuidar el resultado
- leaves satisfied — se va satisfecho
- the effort was worth it — el esfuerzo mereció la pena
Tap the words in the correct order:
- What does working as a barber require?
- What is the job not just about?
- What does a customer sometimes need?
- What do I try to do while working?
- When do I feel the effort was worth it?
Translate into Spanish:
- Working as a barber requires patience, precision, and a friendly manner.
- I try to stay calm, go step by step, and pay attention to the result.
- When someone leaves satisfied, I feel the effort was worth it.
Translate into English:
- Trabajar como barbero exige paciencia, precisión y buen trato.
- A veces un cliente llega con una idea clara.
- Otras veces necesita orientación.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
⏳ C1 | Past tense version Present → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
💡 C1 | Grammar point far more than + -ing
Far more than sirve para decir «mucho más que» con énfasis.
C1 | Practice
Match – Quizlet
Play this part of the story on Quizlet.
My Day as a Barber
- over the years — con los años
- I have learned — he aprendido
- being a barber — ser barbero
- involves far more than — implica mucho más que
- mastering a technique — dominar una técnica
- you need to listen — hay que saber escuchar
- read people’s gestures — interpretar gestos
- build trust — generar confianza
- from the very beginning — desde el primer momento
- a poorly shaped beard — una barba mal perfilada
- a careless haircut — un corte descuidado
- can ruin the experience — puede arruinar la experiencia
- a steady hand — pulso firme
- patience — paciencia
- attention to detail — atención al detalle
- in this trade — en este oficio
- trust is earned — la confianza se gana
- one customer at a time — cliente a cliente
Tap the words in the correct order:
- What has the barber learned over the years?
- What does the barber need to understand besides technique?
- What can ruin the customer’s experience?
- How does the barber work?
- How is trust earned in this trade?
Translate into Spanish:
- Being a barber involves far more than mastering a technique.
- You need to listen, read people’s gestures, and build trust from the very beginning.
- In this trade, trust is earned one customer at a time.
Translate into English:
- Con los años, he aprendido que ser barbero implica mucho más que dominar una técnica.
- Una barba mal perfilada o un corte descuidado pueden arruinar la experiencia.
- Por eso trabajo con pulso firme, paciencia y atención al detalle.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.
⏳ C2 | Past tense version Present → Past
La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.
💡 C2 | Grammar point passive voice for emphasis
En trust is not declared; it is shown, la pasiva centra la atención en trust, no en la persona que realiza la acción.
C2 | Practice
Match – Quizlet
Play this part of the story on Quizlet.
My Day as a Barber
- my craft — mi oficio
- manual precision — precisión manual
- aesthetic sensitivity — sensibilidad estética
- a human touch — trato humano
- every haircut — cada corte
- a quiet negotiation — una negociación silenciosa
- the customer imagines — el cliente imagina
- truly suits their face — favorece sus facciones
- I have learned — he aprendido
- read between the lines — leer entre líneas
- not to impose — no imponer
- my judgement — mi criterio
- work with confidence — trabajar con seguridad
- someone who knows — quien sabe
- small details — los pequeños detalles
- speak for themselves — hablan por sí solos
- in a barbershop — en una barbería
- trust is not declared — la confianza no se declara
- it is shown — se demuestra
- through every gesture — con cada gesto
Tap the words in the correct order:
- What does the barber’s craft combine?
- What is every haircut a quiet negotiation between?
- What has the barber learned not to impose?
- What do small details do?
- How is trust shown in a barbershop?
Translate into Spanish:
- My craft combines manual precision, aesthetic sensitivity, and a human touch.
- I have learned to read between the lines and not to impose my judgement.
- In a barbershop, trust is not declared; it is shown through every gesture.
Translate into English:
- Mi oficio combina precisión manual, sensibilidad estética y trato humano.
- Cada corte es una negociación silenciosa.
- Los pequeños detalles hablan por sí solos.
Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.