My Day as a Hairstylist – Bilingual English–Spanish Story, Audio & Grammar

male hairstylist cutting a client’s hair in a bright modern salon
Vocabulary: hairstylist · shears · blow-dryer · color swatches
Finding you a random story…
Just a second ✨
Grammar focus: los verbos del texto inglés aparecen destacados en azul. Debajo de cada lectura puedes abrir Past tense version para comparar la misma historia en presente y en pasado, y Grammar point para aprender una estructura útil del nivel.
A1 | BEGINNER
I work as a hairstylist at a hair salon. In the morning, I get the shampoo station, blow-dryer, and brushes ready. A customer comes in and sits in the salon chair. I put a cape around her and wash her hair. Then I cut it and dry it. The customer looks in the mirror and smiles.
A1 | PRINCIPIANTE
Trabajo como peluquero en una peluquería. Por la mañana, preparo el lavacabezas, el secador y los cepillos. Una clienta entra y se sienta en el sillón. Le pongo una capa y le lavo el pelo. Después se lo corto y se lo seco. La clienta se mira al espejo y sonríe.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a hairstylist at a hair salon. In the morning, I got the shampoo station, blow-dryer, and brushes ready. A customer came in and sat in the salon chair. I put a cape around her and washed her hair. Then I cut it and dried it. The customer looked in the mirror and smiled.
Main changes
workworkedgetgotcomescamesitssatputputwashwashedcutcutdrydriedlookslookedsmilessmiled
💡 A1 | Grammar point object pronouns: her and it

Los pronombres de objeto sustituyen a la persona o cosa que recibe la acción. En I put a cape around her, her se refiere a la clienta; en I cut it and dry it, it se refiere al cabello.

subject + verb + object pronoun
me · you · him · her · it · us · them
I put a cape around her.I wash her hair and then dry it.I cut it carefully.The customer looks at me and smiles.
Atención: en I wash her hair, her aparece delante del sustantivo hair y funciona como adjetivo posesivo.
🔊 AUDIO A1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A1 | Practice
Practice the Story — A1

My Day as a Hairstylist

Vocabulary
  • hairstylist — peluquero/a
  • hair salon — peluquería
  • shampoo station — lavacabezas
  • blow-dryer — secador
  • brush — cepillo
  • salon chair — sillón de peluquería
  • cape — capa
  • wash someone’s hair — lavarle el pelo a alguien
  • cut and dry hair — cortar y secar el pelo
  • mirror — espejo
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

aroundcapeIheraput
Reading comprehension
  1. Where do I work?
  2. Which tools do I get ready?
  3. What do I put around the customer?
  4. What does the customer do after I dry her hair?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work as a hairstylist.
  • I put a cape around her.
  • The customer looks in the mirror.

Translate into English:

  • Preparo el lavacabezas.
  • Le lavo el pelo.
  • Después se lo corto y se lo seco.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

A2 | ELEMENTARY
I work as a hairstylist in a bright hair salon. Every day, I wash, cut, and style many clients’ hair. Some only want a slight trim; others are looking for a whole new look. Before I begin, I ask a few questions, listen carefully, and make sure I understand what result they have in mind.
A2 | BÁSICO
Trabajo como peluquero en una peluquería luminosa. Cada día lavo, corto y peino el pelo de muchos clientes. Algunos solo quieren un pequeño retoque; otros buscan un estilo completamente nuevo. Antes de empezar, hago algunas preguntas, escucho con atención y me aseguro de entender qué resultado tienen en mente.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ A2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

I worked as a hairstylist in a bright hair salon. Every day, I washed, cut, and styled many clients’ hair. Some only wanted a slight trim; others were looking for a whole new look. Before I began, I asked a few questions, listened carefully, and made sure I understood what result they had in mind.
Main changes
workworkedwashwashedcutcutstylestyledwantwantedare lookingwere lookingbeginbeganaskaskedlistenlistenedmake suremade sureunderstandunderstoodhavehad
💡 A2 | Grammar point some … others

Utilizamos some … others para contrastar dos grupos dentro de un conjunto. Some puede acompañar a un sustantivo plural; others lo sustituye.

Some + plural noun + verb; others + verb
Some clients want a slight trim; others want a whole new look.Some appointments are short; others take more time.Some people know what they want; others need advice.
Atención: others no lleva un sustantivo detrás. Decimos others o other clients, pero no others clients.
🔊 AUDIO A2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
A2 | Practice
Practice the Story — A2

My Day as a Hairstylist

Vocabulary
  • bright hair salon — peluquería luminosa
  • style hair — peinar el pelo
  • client — cliente/a
  • slight trim — pequeño retoque
  • whole new look — estilo completamente nuevo
  • look for — buscar
  • ask a few questions — hacer algunas preguntas
  • listen carefully — escuchar con atención
  • make sure — asegurarse
  • result — resultado
  • have something in mind — tener algo en mente
  • before I begin — antes de empezar
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

lookclientsnewSomeawantwhole
Reading comprehension
  1. Which three services do I provide every day?
  2. What is a slight trim?
  3. How do some clients differ from others?
  4. Why do I ask questions before I begin?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I work in a bright hair salon.
  • Some clients want a slight trim.
  • I listen carefully before I begin.

Translate into English:

  • Cada día peino el pelo de muchos clientes.
  • Otros buscan un estilo completamente nuevo.
  • Me aseguro de entender el resultado.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B1 | INTERMEDIATE
My day as a hairstylist begins when I set out the products, clean towels, and tools. I sanitize the combs and shears and make sure each workstation is ready. Some clients come in just for a trim; others request color, a blowout, or a more noticeable change. I try to offer guidance without taking over the decision. In this job, listening to the client is as important as knowing my way around a pair of shears.
B1 | INTERMEDIO
Mi día como peluquero empieza cuando preparo los productos, las toallas limpias y las herramientas. Desinfecto los peines y las tijeras y me aseguro de que cada puesto esté listo. Algunos clientes vienen solo para cortarse las puntas; otros piden un tinte, un peinado con secador o un cambio más visible. Intento aconsejarlos sin tomar la decisión por ellos. En este trabajo, escuchar al cliente es tan importante como saber manejar bien unas tijeras.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

My day as a hairstylist began when I set out the products, clean towels, and tools. I sanitized the combs and shears and made sure each workstation was ready. Some clients came in just for a trim; others requested color, a blowout, or a more noticeable change. I tried to offer guidance without taking over the decision. In that job, listening to the client was as important as knowing my way around a pair of shears.
Main changes
beginsbeganset outset outsanitizesanitizedmake suremade sureiswascome incame inrequestrequestedtrytriedis as important aswas as important as
💡 B1 | Grammar point as + adjective + as

Utilizamos as + adjective + as para afirmar que dos elementos comparten una cualidad en el mismo grado.

A + be + as + adjective + as + B
Listening to the client is as important as handling the shears well.A careful consultation is as important as the haircut.Clean tools are as essential as good technique.Choosing the right color can be as difficult as creating the right cut.
Atención: en esta comparación utilizamos as, no than.
🔊 AUDIO B1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B1 | Practice
Practice the Story — B1

My Day as a Hairstylist

Vocabulary
  • set out — preparar o disponer
  • clean towel — toalla limpia
  • sanitize — desinfectar
  • comb — peine
  • shears — tijeras de peluquería
  • workstation — puesto de trabajo
  • come in just for a trim — venir solo para cortarse las puntas
  • request color — pedir un tinte
  • blowout — peinado con secador
  • noticeable change — cambio visible
  • offer guidance — asesorar
  • take over a decision — tomar una decisión por otra persona
  • know one’s way around something — saber manejar algo bien
  • pair of shears — unas tijeras
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

readysureworkstationIiseachmake
Reading comprehension
  1. Which supplies do I set out?
  2. Why do I sanitize my tools?
  3. Which services do clients request?
  4. What does knowing my way around a pair of shears mean?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • I sanitize the combs and shears.
  • Some clients come in just for a trim.
  • I offer guidance without taking over the decision.

Translate into English:

  • Preparo las toallas limpias.
  • Cada puesto está listo.
  • Escuchar al cliente es tan importante como manejar bien las tijeras.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

B2 | UPPER-INTERMEDIATE
Working as a hairstylist requires technique, patience, and sensitivity. Today, a client wants to change her look, but she is not sure what will flatter her. I assess her face shape, hair texture, and daily routine. Then we look at the color swatches together and proceed step by step. The color, cut, and finish need to suit her features and lifestyle. When she looks in the mirror and still feels like herself, I know the work was worth it.
B2 | INTERMEDIO ALTO
Trabajar como peluquero exige técnica, paciencia y sensibilidad. Hoy una clienta quiere cambiar de imagen, pero no está segura de qué le favorece. Analizo la forma de su rostro, la textura de su cabello y su rutina diaria. Después observamos juntos el muestrario de colores y avanzamos paso a paso. El color, el corte y el acabado deben encajar con sus rasgos y su estilo de vida. Cuando se mira al espejo y sigue reconociéndose, siento que el trabajo ha merecido la pena.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ B2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

Working as a hairstylist required technique, patience, and sensitivity. That day, a client wanted to change her look, but she was not sure what would flatter her. I assessed her face shape, hair texture, and daily routine. Then we looked at the color swatches together and proceeded step by step. The color, cut, and finish needed to suit her features and lifestyle. When she looked in the mirror and still felt like herself, I knew the work was worth it.
Main changes
requiresrequiredtodaythat daywantswantedis notwas notwill flatterwould flatterassessassessedlooklookedproceedproceededneedneededfeelsfeltknowknewis worthwas worth
💡 B2 | Grammar point be worth + noun / -ing

Utilizamos be worth para indicar que algo justifica el tiempo, el dinero o el esfuerzo invertidos. Después puede aparecer un sustantivo, un pronombre o un verbo terminado en -ing.

be worth + noun/pronoun
be worth + verb-ing
The work was worth it.The result was worth the time and effort.This treatment is worth trying.The color service is expensive, but it is worth it.
Atención: decimos worth trying, no worth to try.
🔊 AUDIO B2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
B2 | Practice
Practice the Story — B2

My Day as a Hairstylist

Vocabulary
  • technique — técnica
  • sensitivity — sensibilidad
  • change one’s look — cambiar de imagen
  • flatter someone — favorecer a alguien
  • assess — analizar o evaluar
  • face shape — forma del rostro
  • hair texture — textura del cabello
  • daily routine — rutina diaria
  • color swatch — muestra de color
  • proceed step by step — avanzar paso a paso
  • finish — acabado
  • suit someone’s features — encajar con los rasgos de alguien
  • lifestyle — estilo de vida
  • feel like oneself — sentirse uno mismo
  • be worth it — merecer la pena
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

togethertheWeswatchesatcolorlook
Reading comprehension
  1. Why does the client need professional guidance?
  2. Which personal factors do I assess?
  3. Why do we proceed step by step?
  4. What shows me that the result was successful?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • A client wants to change her look.
  • I assess her hair texture and daily routine.
  • The work was worth it.

Translate into English:

  • No está segura de qué le favorece.
  • Observamos juntos el muestrario de colores.
  • El acabado debe encajar con su estilo de vida.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C1 | ADVANCED
Over the years, I have learned that a hair salon is far more than a place where hair is cut. For many clients, it is a space of trust and transformation. During each consultation, I interpret wishes, insecurities, and expectations without losing sight of the hair’s texture, condition, and natural limitations. A good result depends on striking the right balance between professional judgment and attentive listening.
C1 | AVANZADO
Con los años, he aprendido que una peluquería es mucho más que un lugar donde se corta el pelo. Para muchos clientes, es un espacio de confianza y transformación. Durante cada consulta, interpreto deseos, inseguridades y expectativas sin perder de vista la textura, el estado y los límites naturales del cabello. Un buen resultado depende de encontrar el equilibrio adecuado entre el criterio profesional y una escucha atenta.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C1 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, I had learned that a hair salon was far more than a place where hair was cut. For many clients, it was a space of trust and transformation. During each consultation, I interpreted wishes, insecurities, and expectations without losing sight of the hair’s texture, condition, and natural limitations. A good result depended on striking the right balance between professional judgment and attentive listening.
Main changes
have learnedhad learnediswasis cutwas cutinterpretinterpreteddependsdepended
💡 C1 | Grammar point far / much + comparative

Podemos intensificar un comparativo con far, much o a lot. En a hair salon is far more than a place, far refuerza more than.

far / much / a lot + comparative
A hair salon is far more than a place where hair is cut.The new color is much more noticeable.Her hair looks far less damaged.This style requires a lot more maintenance.
Atención: no decimos very more. Para intensificar un comparativo utilizamos far, much o a lot.
🔊 AUDIO C1
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C1 | Practice
Practice the Story — C1

My Day as a Hairstylist

Vocabulary
  • over the years — con los años
  • far more than — mucho más que
  • space of trust — espacio de confianza
  • transformation — transformación
  • consultation — consulta
  • interpret wishes and expectations — interpretar deseos y expectativas
  • lose sight of — perder de vista
  • texture and condition — textura y estado
  • natural limitation — límite natural
  • strike the right balance — encontrar el equilibrio adecuado
  • attentive listening — escucha atenta
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

balancedependsthegoodstrikingresultrightAon
Reading comprehension
  1. Why is a hair salon a space of trust?
  2. What do I interpret during a consultation?
  3. Which natural qualities of the hair guide my decisions?
  4. What two elements must I balance?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • A salon is far more than a place for haircuts.
  • I do not lose sight of the hair’s condition.
  • A good result depends on attentive listening.

Translate into English:

  • Para muchos clientes, es un espacio de confianza.
  • Interpreto sus deseos y expectativas.
  • El cabello tiene límites naturales.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.

C2 | PROFICIENCY
My craft has taught me that hair is part of how a person presents themselves to the world. Every cut, every color, and every gesture in front of the mirror can reshape how someone sees themselves. That is why I rely not only on technical skill, but also on sound aesthetic judgment, restraint, and respect. When I change someone’s appearance, I am entrusted with a subtle but deeply personal part of their everyday identity.
C2 | MAESTRÍA
Mi oficio me ha enseñado que el cabello forma parte de la manera en que una persona se presenta ante el mundo. Cada corte, cada color y cada gesto frente al espejo pueden transformar la percepción que alguien tiene de sí mismo. Por eso no recurro únicamente a la técnica, sino también al criterio estético, la mesura y el respeto. Cuando cambio la imagen de alguien, se me confía una parte sutil pero profundamente personal de su identidad cotidiana.
🎵 I learned everything I know at LecturaBilingue.com — the place where stories come alive. 🎵 Todo lo que sé lo aprendí en LecturaBilingue.com, el lugar donde las historias cobran vida.
⏳ C2 | Past tense version Present → Past

La misma historia transformada al pasado. Los verbos que cambian aparecen destacados.

By then, my craft had taught me that hair was part of how a person presented themselves to the world. Every cut, every color, and every gesture in front of the mirror could reshape how someone saw themselves. That was why I relied not only on technical skill, but also on sound aesthetic judgment, restraint, and respect. When I changed someone’s appearance, I was entrusted with a subtle but deeply personal part of their everyday identity.
Main changes
has taughthad taughtiswaspresentspresentedcan reshapecould reshapeseessawthat is whythat was whyrelyreliedchangechangedam entrustedwas entrusted
💡 C2 | Grammar point not only … but also

La estructura not only … but also conecta dos elementos y concede importancia a ambos. Los elementos coordinados deben mantener una forma paralela.

not only + element A + but also + parallel element B
I rely not only on technical skill but also on sound aesthetic judgment.A stylist must not only listen but also explain.The appointment changed not only her haircut but also her confidence.I consider not only face shape but also daily routine.
Atención: mantén la misma estructura a ambos lados: not only on technical skill but also on aesthetic judgment.
🔊 AUDIO C2
🇺🇸 English
Spoken
Song
🇪🇸 Español
Spoken
Song
C2 | Practice
Practice the Story — C2

My Day as a Hairstylist

Vocabulary
  • craft — oficio
  • present oneself to the world — presentarse ante el mundo
  • gesture in front of the mirror — gesto frente al espejo
  • reshape — transformar
  • see oneself — verse o percibirse
  • rely on — recurrir a o confiar en
  • technical skill — destreza técnica
  • aesthetic judgment — criterio estético
  • restraint — mesura
  • be entrusted with — recibir algo en confianza
  • subtle — sutil
  • deeply personal — profundamente personal
  • everyday identity — identidad cotidiana
Complete the sentence
Choose the correct answer
Build the sentence

Tap the words in the correct order:

judgmentonIalsotechnicalsoundnotskillbutaestheticonlyrelyon
Reading comprehension
  1. How can hair affect a person’s public identity?
  2. What may a gesture in front of the mirror reveal?
  3. Which qualities guide me besides technical skill?
  4. Why is changing someone’s appearance a matter of trust?
Translation practice

Translate into Spanish:

  • Hair is part of how a person presents themselves.
  • I rely on sound aesthetic judgment.
  • I am entrusted with a deeply personal part of someone’s identity.

Translate into English:

  • Un corte puede transformar la percepción de una persona.
  • No recurro únicamente a la técnica.
  • Trabajo con mesura y respeto.

Reading and translation are bonus practice and are not included in the score.